Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which has priority - K-3 or IR/CR visa?

Which has priority - K-3 or IR/CR visa?

Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

goldrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which has priority - K-3 or IR/CR visa?

When a consulate is scheduling interviews, do K visas have priority over visas given via DCF or the other way around or they are all treated on a FCFS (First Come First Served) basis?

I read Udall's post. What are you guys suggesting I should do? Should I wait till my K3 gets processed (NOA1 date is 08/11) or should I go to India and do DCF and cancel my current apps in the U.S.?

Although, I may not be able to go to India immediately because of my job. Also, I am assuming that they will accept my DCF. I will certainly call before I go.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your suggestions on my dilemma.

Last edited by goldrush; Oct 28th 2003 at 3:12 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

goldrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which has priority - K-3 or IR/CR visa?

I feel very stupid for not doing DCF when I went to India. But, I didn't even know if I was going to get married or not. I did bring my docs along, but my wife did not have any of her docs ready.

Plus, I was pressed for time and I had to come back to the U.S. I couldn't wait for some time to get everything ready and go to New Delhi.

I have heard about Indians and especially "Gujjus" like me asking ridiculous questions prior to marriage to their potential life partners, such as - "Do you have a passport ready" or "Lets not bother spending time with each other after marriage, but can we instead go to the capital and work on your visa? Visa is certainly the foundation of our marriage".

Maybe, I should have asked such ridiculous questions.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

purvi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which has priority - K-3 or IR/CR visa?

I dont know abt which one has a priority, but i do know that the process as such of DCF is faster ( if everything goes right!) than k1 or K3.
We had applied for K1 and had received NOA2, and my file had reached mumbai also. But due to family reasons we are going to marry in nov, so we have cancelled the K1 and are going for the DCF at delhi.
The speed at which your k3 is processed also depends on which service centre u r at. i know couple of people who had got their DCF at delhi processed between 2-3 months, but this was 4-6 months ago. i had called delhi last week (Again to verify) and till then they were still doing DCF and told me it wuld take 3 months.

so i think that if u have the time, DCF wuld be a better choice, also i think u dont have to cancel ur K3 to apply for the DCF.