Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Has anyone brought their kids on I130?

Has anyone brought their kids on I130?

Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

HoustonCdn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone brought their kids on I130?

This is the situation:

My son & I came down here last year on K1/K2 visas and are currently awaiting our AOS appt.
My 16 yr old son, after being here for a year, decided this past summer that he had to go back to Canada – he was just having too many problems with the kids in school down here. So, I let him go back to Canada to finish up high school. He does want to live here, and he does want to go to university here – he just wanted to finish high school in Canada.

So – can I go and withdraw his application for PR and then have my husband file an I130 now so that he can come back down here when he’s finished high school? He’ll be just short of his 18th birthday when he’s ready to come back down.

And what happens with his travelling? Once I withdraw his PR app – he should be ok to travel to the US as long as he can prove that he’s going back, right? And can he travel if there is an I130 pending?

The TSC is running at about 1 ½ yrs for the I130 approval, so, he should be approved for that just before he is finished high school. And if it IS approved several months before he’s ready to go, how long is it good for before he has to leave?

And what is the next step after the I130? Does he have to re-apply for PR when he gets back down here? And what about the work authorization, etc?

Does this all sound feasible or am I way off base here?

All your thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

Thanks!