Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Been Denied IR-1 at Interview?

Has Anyone Been Denied IR-1 at Interview?

Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has Anyone Been Denied IR-1 at Interview?

I'm a born worrier and I have my Interview next month. I haven't seen any posts about people having their IR-1 denied at the interview stage but I know it must be a possibility.

I am a UKC, my wife is a USC we have lived in the UK since we married 9 years ago and have one child who is a dual UK/US citizen. I have no criminal record, the only blimp is that I was once denied entry to the US (visiting too often when my wife and I were dating and she was still in the US) but I've since had several B1/B2 visas approved.

I think I'm probably stressing out for nothing but I'm curious if anyone has any insight or experience of their IR-1 being denied at interview.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Been Denied IR-1 at Interview?

It's very rare - at this point you have been fully vetted for the visa and it's crossing I's and dotting T's.

I actually answered a question wrong at my interview, and it was no big deal. Nerves and all that.

You'll be fine.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's very rare - at this point you have been fully vetted for the visa and it's crossing I's and dotting T's.

I actually answered a question wrong at my interview, and it was no big deal. Nerves and all that.

You'll be fine.
When I think about it rationally, I know they've had all of the information long before the interview letter was sent. At this point, with the exception of having sight of the original civil documents and our I-864's, they have all of the information. I think I'm just a neurotic worrier!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 1:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure some people must get denied, but unless you have some really bad criminal history or a communicable disease, chances are you won't be one of them. Even if you're lacking something at the interview, the officer will give you some time to obtain it and send it back to them, then they'll approve the visa.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Stand by for the arrival of Ian!

Learning of other people's bad experiences does nothing to help you. Even per what you posted in post #1, above, you have nothing to worry about. Step away from your computer and stop worrying!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:38 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Comment: there are times where an applicant is denied. That said, they are of two types -- one is for those problems that can be fixed, the second for those problems that cannot be fixed.

The second type is usually for things like criminal records, prior immigration violations, etc. OP's post does not indicate any problems on that score. [A variation may be for those rare times where the computer hiccups out a name and birthdate which matches the applicant, but is for another person -- that falls under the first type].

The fixable reasons run the gamut from easy to problematical. The easy ones are usually regarding documents that can be obtained easily. A prime example would be a British applicant who shows up with the "short form" birth certificate. Technically, there will be a "refusal" but instructions will be given on how to overcome the refusal. Another possible problem are for people who have had alcohol problems -- such as two alcohol related driving arrests [note I did not say "convictions" -- that is deliberate].
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, it is just my worrying nature getting the better of me.
I have a completely clear criminal history with "No Trace" and my medical was all OK after sending some additional information from my GP.

I have my wife's Affidavit of Support with our income and assets which should meet the threshold for our family of 3, albeit my wife has not filed tax returns because she hasn't been working. I also have a joint sponsor (my FIL) whose tax returns show he can support me with no problem.

I have all of the civil documents on their list including long and short form birth certificates but this brings me to another question. I have 3 folders of "evidence" to take with me, do I need to provide photocopies of everything or just copies for the documents on the list?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did not think a Consulate could refuse, all they can do is send it back.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
I think I'm just a neurotic worrier!
You should seek professional help... nothing you've written so far indicates that your issues are at all related to immigration.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You should seek professional help... nothing you've written so far indicates that your issues are at all related to immigration.

Ian
You're probably right, Ian!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
You're probably right, Ian!
He usually is!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He usually is!
Rationally, I know that I am worrying for no valid reason. I'm going to try and put it out of my head and just get on with clearing out the house. If I appear here panicking, someone throw something heavy at me!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'm jumping in here and offering my little story. My husband (UK citizen) is permanently disabled. He has cerebral palsy (among other conditions) and is wheelchair bound. We are waiting for our LND number to book a medical for a CR-1.

You think you've had to calm your nerves...LOL. I have the perfect example of someone who looks like they'd be a perfect candidate for a public charge refusal. We're still giving it a go though, and trying to think as far forward as we can to come up with the proof the CO might need to dispute that. I-864 with a joint sponsor is golden, we have our own savings, and he is employable as a translator/interpreter (from home). At this point, I believe all we can do is cross our fingers like everyone else.

Keep your chin up! It'll be fine.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarahincos
Okay, I'm jumping in here and offering my little story. My husband (UK citizen) is permanently disabled. He has cerebral palsy (among other conditions) and is wheelchair bound. We are waiting for our LND number to book a medical for a CR-1.

You think you've had to calm your nerves...LOL. I have the perfect example of someone who looks like they'd be a perfect candidate for a public charge refusal. We're still giving it a go though, and trying to think as far forward as we can to come up with the proof the CO might need to dispute that. I-864 with a joint sponsor is golden, we have our own savings, and he is employable as a translator/interpreter (from home). At this point, I believe all we can do is cross our fingers like everyone else.

Keep your chin up! It'll be fine.
Thank you and good luck on your journey too!

There are aspects of our case that I think may raise questions which are similar (public charge). We just about meet the threshold with income and assets of our own, but we thought it was best to get a joint sponsor because we're kinda borderline and my father in law was happy to do it.

I just worry too much.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute

I do too. That's why I'm here lol I feel ya!

We don't have an huge amount of savings either so we decided not to do it on our own as well. Everyone keeps saying London is a piece of cake, so I'm hoping and wishing this is going to be our experience as well.

Keep me updated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.