Reload this Page >

Halfway through my K1 Visa but my fiancee wants to leave her job

Halfway through my K1 Visa but my fiancee wants to leave her job

Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

aklor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halfway through my K1 Visa but my fiancee wants to leave her job

Hello,

I'm currently waiting for my K1 interview date. Sent off my forms 6-7 weeks ago so I'm hoping I will hear something any day now.

In the meantime, my USC fiancee is unhappy in her job and wants to pack it in and look for something else. I was just wondering how this might affect things regarding the "Evidence of support" stuff. I'm not too clear about what that is.

Should my fiancee wait until my interview is done and dusted before quitting her job? or does it not matter? We both have adequate savings put aside.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

BenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really niceBenFrancis is just really nice
Default Re: Halfway through my K1 Visa but my fiancee wants to leave her job

Originally Posted by aklor
Hello,

I'm currently waiting for my K1 interview date. Sent off my forms 6-7 weeks ago so I'm hoping I will hear something any day now.

In the meantime, my USC fiancee is unhappy in her job and wants to pack it in and look for something else. I was just wondering how this might affect things regarding the "Evidence of support" stuff. I'm not too clear about what that is.

Should my fiancee wait until my interview is done and dusted before quitting her job? or does it not matter? We both have adequate savings put aside.
Hi, I'm just starting, but I would say hold off if you can... don;t want to add unnecessary complications!! Best of luck to you both!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If she can wait, she should. The I-134 must be accurate right up to the date you get the visa in your passport. Some suggest the I-134 must be accurate to the date you enter the US with your K-1 visa.

Meantime, she can "look for something else" if she wants... but I suggest she shouldn't change jobs until you're in the US.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that she shouldn't quit her current job until she has a new job lined up. A lot of people have found that their once adequate savings were not so adequate as they thought.

Regards, JEff

Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:59 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

She should wait, or have a co-sponsor lined up just in case.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If she has enough in savings, she can use savings (asset) instead of income on the I-134.

If you have enough in savings, you can use your own savings (asset) and she won't have to do an I-134 at all (we call this "self sponsoring" on this forum, and it's up to the ConOff to determine if you have enough cash to do so).

But either way, don't forget, she will need to do an I-864 Affidavit of Support for your AOS after you get to the USA. By that time, she should either 1) have a job that pays the minimum required; 2) still have enough in cash assets to cover 3x the amount she would have needed in income; or 3) have a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW you can advise her that it is easier to find a new position when you are currently employed. A mature person never leaves a position voluntarily unless they have a new one to go to and/or they are taking a sabbatical or retiring. Most especially in today's current employment market.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
BTW you can advise her that it is easier to find a new position when you are currently employed. A mature person never leaves a position voluntarily unless they have a new one to go to and/or they are taking a sabbatical or retiring. Most especially in today's current employment market.
Hi Rete
A huge sweeping statement there "A mature person never leaves a position voluntarily"

I have just left a job after 3 weeks, took me over 3 months to get it and over 50 people applied.

I left because I respected myself far too much to work for the idiots who called themselves my team leaders.
I had no job to go to and I am very very happy.

I also consider myself to be mature and a responsible adult.

In life we make decisions with the information given to us at the time, everyone is different, for all you know the OPs girlfriend may be getting bullied etc... so she wants to leave.

Working isn't everything !!!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:35 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
Hi Rete
A huge sweeping statement there "A mature person never leaves a position voluntarily"

I have just left a job after 3 weeks, took me over 3 months to get it and over 50 people applied.

I left because I respected myself far too much to work for the idiots who called themselves my team leaders.

In life we make decisions with the information given to us at the time, everyone is different, for all you know the OPs girlfriend may be getting bullied etc... so she wants to leave.

In this case in direct regards to his immigration, walking away from the job amidst all this paperwork and legal jargon is not advisable. Consider yourself blessed you were able to walk away from a job and have no recourse from doing so. If his SO walks away from this job, his future lies in the fate of her decision if there is not someone else to sponsor and if the IO deems the assets insufficient.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

aklor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rete

Sadieb, << moderator snipped >>

Thanks for the replies, everyone else.

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 14th 2010 at 6:04 pm. Reason: If you have issues with a Mod's behavior, please discuss via PM. Thank you.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

aklor,

Think long and hard about it, Immigration causes us enough hurdles to jump through without worrying about having to find a co sponsor or altering all the paperwork. When I got to that interview at the Embassy all I wanted was to hear the word approved.

5 months before my interview at the Embassy my husbands company was taken over by what can only be described as a bunch of muppets. He got more and more depressed but refused to do anything until I arrived in the country. It was so hard wanting to be there to support him and knowing how unhappy he was, but we got through. 2 weeks after I arrived he landed a wonderful new job, believe me he went to hell and back but nothing was going to get in our way.

Stick the job out, it will be worth it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The I-134 must be accurate right up to the date you get the visa in your passport. Some suggest the I-134 must be accurate to the date you enter the US with your K-1 visa.
Query: but what is the law?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Query: but what is the law?
As this is the experience of the posters in this forum, it seems the law is whatever the CO allows on any particular day! Whether it's codified or not, I've no idea.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete
Ah - but what you don't understand is that, as far as Rete is concerned, disagreeing with her is prima facie evidence of a lack of maturity and that makes her sweeping statements pretty much irrefutable no matter how wrong she might be ...
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete

Pity that you chose to quote only part of the sentence while if fully quoted makes a great deal of sense.

"A mature person never leaves a position voluntarily unless they have a new one to go to and/or they are taking a sabbatical or retiring."

I'm not getting into a debate on this but a person who has obligations such as the fiancee of the OP does not live their unemployment until they have another position already accepted and/or has the assets to fulfill the affidavit of support.

I feel for you that you strove for three months to obtain the position you coveted only to find that it was a demoralizing snake pit. There will always be situations that warrant someone to up and leave a bad situation but for some even having to work in those conditions until another position is obtained is necessary because of obligations, etc.

To the OP, I hope it works out for your fiancee and for you. If she does leave her employment, perhaps there is someone who can be a joint sponsor for your affidavit and that when you finally get to the US that she is once again gainfully employed for the next round of affidavits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.