Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card Middle Name Change

Green Card Middle Name Change

Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Tess4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green Card Middle Name Change

thanks for the clarification. So...what is the proof of my legal name, globally, or does that not really exist. In the UK is it the name on my passport, and in the US is it the name on my green card? It just seems too easy to have 2 different names. On the marriage certificate it is my maiden name. Up until now my passport was the only identity i had. I dont drive so that is all i have ever had. My bank cards and credit cards are all under my maiden name. We assumed those would need to be changed because I have changed my name now. But i havent officially because there seems no way to do this. I asked the immigration officer about that, and she said, thats ok, I'll just put your husbands surname on the green card. The first step was to get my passport renewed with my new name. Not "creating" my own problems here; but simply want to do things correctly and not run into problems we werent aware of. The ticket being under the passport name was always clear, the rest....it just seems too simple to be honest. Where does a person legally change their name?
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tess4
thanks for the clarification. So...what is the proof of my legal name, globally, or does that not really exist. In the UK is it the name on my passport, and in the US is it the name on my green card? It just seems too easy to have 2 different names. On the marriage certificate it is my maiden name. Up until now my passport was the only identity i had. I dont drive so that is all i have ever had. My bank cards and credit cards are all under my maiden name. We assumed those would need to be changed because I have changed my name now. But i havent officially because there seems no way to do this. I asked the immigration officer about that, and she said, thats ok, I'll just put your husbands surname on the green card. The first step was to get my passport renewed with my new name. Not "creating" my own problems here; but simply want to do things correctly and not run into problems we werent aware of. The ticket being under the passport name was always clear, the rest....it just seems too simple to be honest. Where does a person legally change their name?
A wife changing her surname to that of her husband is common law practice in the UK and the US. In other words "that's what women customarily do" and "everyone knows that", so therefore it is allowed.

Usually all a married woman needs to do is show a copy of her marriage certificate and everyone - passport agency, banks, social security, DMV/DVLA, IRS/HMC&R, utilities, and every one else, will change her surname to that of her husband. As far as I know it can be reversed the same way, by showing her birth certificate, I don't believe that she needs proof of divorce or separation, she just tells everyone that she wants to use her birth name again.

Just wait until you naturalize as a USC (if you choose to do so). Then the form asks what name you want to naturalize with, and you can pick any name you like. So if you've always fancied being Betty Boop, then you can choose that name if you want to!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 2nd 2015 at 2:33 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tess4
In the UK is it the name on my passport, and in the US is it the name on my green card?
In both the UK and US, your legal name is the name on your birth certificate. All other names are "assumed names". If, for example, you married and took your husband's last name and then updated your passport and green card, your legal name is still the name on your birth certificate. An assumed name due to marriage, however, is commonly accepted.

Where does a person legally change their name?
In the UK, a legal name change can be done via deed poll. In the US, a legal name change is usually done through the court system.

It's important to note that you aren't actually doing a legal name change... you're assuming the last name of your husband - and there's a difference. But yes - it is that easy!

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Tess4 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replies. I guess i will leave my name as my maiden name on my passport, and the green card has my husbands surname on it. When travelling i will always have a copy of my marriage cert and my birth cert with me, just in case. Thanks everyone.