Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

GP not giving copy of my medical records for future medical in London

GP not giving copy of my medical records for future medical in London

Old Sep 10th 2018, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

kph100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GP not giving copy of my medical records for future medical in London

my wife has filed the I130 at London USCIS , consulate filing, as we both live in UK.

I have started getting everything ready for the next stage and 4 weeks ago sent a request to my GP surgery for the summary of medical records which I believe is now required for the medical and my vaccination record.

Ive contacted them number of times since, got a print out of my vaccination record but that only goes back 10 years, and doesnt include older vaccinations as a child.

BUT more importantly I still have not been given a copy of my records.

Has anyone else experienced this with a UK doctors, amd where do I go next if I get no luck ?

Thank you .
Old Sep 10th 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GP not giving copy of my medical records for future medical in London

Have you actually spoken to the doctor? Or just dealing with a receptionist?
Old Sep 10th 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: GP not giving copy of my medical records for future medical in London

Emailed practice manager and tried to ring him but never get a reply.
He stated he would get person dealing to contact me, again no reply.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I would just physically go to your GP and ask them for it. I've gotten my records printed before and the receptionist did it in 2 minutes, and charged me 20p for the printing. Email/phone would have never gotten me through since my GP is so backlogged (which is the case with a lot of GP's).
Old Sep 10th 2018, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

That was my first action.... they said it has to be in writing to the practice manager ... hence the issue
Old Sep 10th 2018, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kph100
That was my first action.... they said it has to be in writing to the practice manager ... hence the issue
Then get an appointment with the doctor (in 20 weeks or whatever the NHS is nowadays) and take a letter addressed to the practice manager and your GP. Don't leave until it's resolved.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Then get an appointment with the doctor (in 20 weeks or whatever the NHS is nowadays) and take a letter addressed to the practice manager and your GP. Don't leave until it's resolved.
And if they still refuse, point out to them that under Data Protection regulations you are legally entitled to a copy of your records.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:50 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what US actually requires nowadays. When I Immigrated in 2004, I had not been to "my" doctor in 20 years. I got my childhood vaccination records off a card in my mum's filing cabinet, and it appeared I never got an MMR booster, so I made an appointment and got one aged 32. Its all about ticking boxes, not trial worthy evidence!

That said, if you have a recent medial history, the Doc has to let you have your records, I would think.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

sevorg is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a Practice Manager for 15 years,1) they cannot refuse,they can charge for copying but you can insist.
By now, I would suggest you contact your Local Health Board,tell them what has happened.Usually a quick phone call from the LHB will resolve the matter without delay.
Be aware, if you need a full copy of your medical records, they may charge about £50 (which has been judge to be a fair amount for the copying) You would be surprised how much paper is actually in your full records)
Feel free to come back or PM me if you encounter any obstacles

If you need a summary,you will have to state exactly what you require in that summary,as it is usually a non medical person that extracts the data and they do not have the authority to decide what is important or not,just asking for a summary leaves them not knowing exactly what you require,something that happen 30 years ago may be relevant today or it may not.You have to be clear what you want.

Last edited by sevorg; Sep 11th 2018 at 9:52 am. Reason: additional information added
Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:51 am
Just Joined

UK2USA2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that we only need a GP summary for the medical in London. That’s only a summary of last 3 visits and vaccinations.

Try and ask for GP summary. Maybe easier for them to get ahold of?
Old Sep 11th 2018, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Just occurred to me that the NHS office I went to was in the process of uploading this stuff to a web portal. Not sure if that is an option for you and print it yourself.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 11:04 am
Just Joined

UK2USA2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
Just occurred to me that the NHS office I went to was in the process of uploading this stuff to a web portal. Not sure if that is an option for you and print it yourself.
this is the patient access but my gp told me I couldn’t print it off myself. But they did it very easily for me.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Isthisyourball is an unknown quantity at this point

I did my K1 medical in February this year. I took my summary care record printed by myself (not by my surgery) from the NHS Patient Access website which was fine with the visa doctor.

This had the main medical history in my life but not every visit to the doctors for things like an earache when I was a kid. I didn't have to ask for the main medical history to be uploaded, it was already there.

Sign up for it. When I did it about 3-4 years ago I filled out a form and then the surgery sent me a letter via post and I think that was it. Once you are signed up you can just print it out yourself (and even share links via email to doctors to allow them to view the history temporarily).

One thing it did not have was my childhood vaccinations, which I had to ask to be uploaded. However, most of them were out of date so I had to get things like MMR, Diphtheria etc done again in any case.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kph100
So before you leave the house you write the letter stating what you need and you go to the office and hand it to them. Easy enough!
Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I understand you'll are calling it medical records but in actuality it is a medical summary. It is part of the READ ME section, first thread, at the start of this particular forum. It is there to help but very often overlooked.

New requirement for medical in London - May 2017 Read the first post and that is also listed on the US Consulate site of the things needed.

As for the vaccinations, no you do not need a record of each inoculation given you as a child. The panel doctor assumes, usually correctly, that having been brought up in a country that provides vaccinations to their children that you have had yours by a certain period in your life due to school needs and childhood visits to the doctor. Of course, there is always the odd duck that believes that vaccinations can be harmful and opt out based on religious grounds. You will be fine with the record of vaccinations you currently have in your possession.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.