Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got my visa-now a silly question

Got my visa-now a silly question

Old May 5th 2006, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

alldoneinswifey is on a distinguished road
Question Got my visa-now a silly question

I got my visa and have been living happily in Virgina since march.
I need to go back to the UK for a few days.
Ok, here is the silly question,
Which line do i join at immigration at the airport?The
US citizen line?or the one for all other nationalities?
Old May 5th 2006, 11:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my visa-now a silly question

Originally Posted by alldoneinswifey
when you head back to the US?
And you got your greencard? if so, then usually the US citizen line will be fine, some airports make you go in the other line like boston, but that's not the norm.
Old May 6th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

The lines at the airports I have landed at say:
"US citizen/permanent residents"
"Visitors"

You don't specify what kind of visa you got, but if it was an immigrant visa, you are now a permanent resident and should go in the USC/LPR line.
Old May 6th 2006, 2:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Which line do i join at immigration at the airport?
If you have your GC, get in the US citizen line. If you have AP, get in the other line. If you have neither your GC nor AP, you shouldn't leave the US... well, unless you have a valid K-3 visa or something.

Ian
Old May 6th 2006, 4:12 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there! Long time no see!, how is your wifey doing?, I miss her around here
If my memory serves me correctly you are a CPR right?, so You can get in the US citizen line.
Good Luck!!
Old May 6th 2006, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Got my visa-now a silly question

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you have your GC, get in the US citizen line. If you have AP, get in the other line. If you have neither your GC nor AP, you shouldn't leave the US... well, unless you have a valid K-3 visa or something.

Ian
Did it 3 times with AP.

Twice US line, once Visitor line.

Go for whichever is shorter!

GC is definitely US line, maybe rare exception in which case I am sure they will let you know.
Old May 6th 2006, 4:20 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Did it 3 times with AP.

Twice US line, once Visitor line.

Go for whichever is shorter!

GC is definitely US line, maybe rare exception in which case I am sure they will let you know.
Hey you! What's going on?

When I came under my K3 visa, I went through the visitor line, I didn't try the US citizen line though. I have never travelled with AP, I can't wait to travel with my GC, if I ever get it!
Old May 6th 2006, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Hey you! What's going on?

When I came under my K3 visa, I went through the visitor line, I didn't try the US citizen line though. I have never travelled with AP, I can't wait to travel with my GC, if I ever get it!
K was through the Visitor line, but I was quick off the plane, BA flight and most of my fellow travellors did not know the layout, and they have mainly Visitor Desks open at DIA. The Officer was a bit stunned, mainly a skiing crowd, but sent me on my way double quick to Secondary.

I actually got through to Customs before some people I knew who were on the same flight did.

Small world, emmigrate and meet up with 3 people you know at check in. One was a friends recent ex so slightly awkward.

GC, well loses a lot of the excitement!
Old May 6th 2006, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
K was through the Visitor line, but I was quick off the plane, BA flight and most of my fellow travellors did not know the layout, and they have mainly Visitor Desks open at DIA. The Officer was a bit stunned, mainly a skiing crowd, but sent me on my way double quick to Secondary.

I actually got through to Customs before some people I knew who were on the same flight did.

Small world, emmigrate and meet up with 3 people you know at check in. One was a friends recent ex so slightly awkward.

GC, well loses a lot of the excitement!
I am ready to lose it
I know DIA pretty good, but JFK can be a bit confussing. Don't you love our airport?, it is clean, "small" and cute! It is my favorite airport!!
An ex at check in..
Old May 6th 2006, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
I am ready to lose it
I know DIA pretty good, but JFK can be a bit confussing. Don't you love our airport?, it is clean, "small" and cute! It is my favorite airport!!
An ex at check in..
Could have been worse, could have been mine.

DIA cute, not sure I would use that word. The entrance on Pena Boulevard is about the same distance from the Airport as Heathrow is from central London.

I have not been to JFK for a long time. But prefer DIA to most I can think of.