Wikiposts

Good News AND Bad News

Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough
Default Good News AND Bad News

The good news is that my wife's K3 visa was issued on December 5, 2003 and it was sent to her son in St. Petersburg. The bad news is that, because he speaks essentially NO English, he opened not only the envelope containing the passports and visas but, also, the SACRED envelope which is required to remain sealed until it is handed to the immigration officials at the POE.

How in the world are we going to go about getting then contents re-certified and re-sealed? The consulate is closed on Friday for a Russian holiday (Constitution Day). All I can think to do is to have her son appear at the consulate on Monday and turn it over to the ConOff and ask them to take care of it. God only knows how long that might take. My wife cannot appear on Monday, she is in a city 2000 km. away and logistically, it is impossible. Have any of you heard of anything like this before? How was the problem solved? Thanks for your help.

Richard III
Old Dec 11th 2003, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good News AND Bad News

Congratulations on the visa, Richard! I'm sorry it's getting a bit overshadowed by the envelope trouble though. I have no clue myself, but hopefully someone on here will know what to do!

Elaine
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like Matt U. had a useful plan. Like I said, obviously happens from time to time and I'm sure there's a procedure somewhere at the Consulate on how to handle.

Did they ever get back to you or did the visa just turn up?

Patty Khadijah

Originally posted by Richard III
The good news is that my wife's K3 visa was issued on December 5, 2003 and it was sent to her son in St. Petersburg. The bad news is that, because he speaks essentially NO English, he opened not only the envelope containing the passports and visas but, also, the SACRED envelope which is required to remain sealed until it is handed to the immigration officials at the POE.

How in the world are we going to go about getting then contents re-certified and re-sealed? The consulate is closed on Friday for a Russian holiday (Constitution Day). All I can think to do is to have her son appear at the consulate on Monday and turn it over to the ConOff and ask them to take care of it. God only knows how long that might take. My wife cannot appear on Monday, she is in a city 2000 km. away and logistically, it is impossible. Have any of you heard of anything like this before? How was the problem solved? Thanks for your help.

Richard III
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Patty -

It just showed up today. When I called the consulate this AM (the $1.65/minute line) they told me that the file had been transferred, meaning it had gone to be printed. They MIGHT be a little behind in their data entry there ;^).

I just found out that the procedure is that you have to take the opened packet back to the consulate. They re-verify the contents and send it back out via DHL again. Takes a week or so.
Bummer! :^(

Richard III

Originally posted by Khadija
Sounds like Matt U. had a useful plan. Like I said, obviously happens from time to time and I'm sure there's a procedure somewhere at the Consulate on how to handle.

Did they ever get back to you or did the visa just turn up?

Patty Khadijah
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:21 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Patty -

It just showed up today. When I called the consulate this AM (the $1.65/minute line) they told me that the file had been transferred, meaning it had gone to be printed. They MIGHT be a little behind in their data entry there ;^).

I just found out that the procedure is that you have to take the opened packet back to the consulate. They re-verify the contents and send it back out via DHL again. Takes a week or so.

Richard III
CONGRATULATIONS on the visa!
I am sorry she opened the packet, Try not to worry.. You already know what to do, Just be happy she got her visa!!!
Keep us updated!!!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Patty -

Richard III
Bummer that it'll take another week - I know how a week more can seem like an eternity...however, against the backdrop of the rest of your lives, it's not so bad!

Yours has to be one of the weirdest experiences. Asking her for something she doesn't even need, not looking at a stitch of evidence and then, low and behold, you get the answer to your prayers! I guess patience paid off in the end!

Abdo will be spending the weekend reorganizing our stuff and sending it off to the Consulate. God only knows how long it will take for "her royal hautiness" to review our evidence and render a decision!

Cheers on such wonderful news! Is she flying here or are you meeting her somewhere?

Patty Khadijah
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on the visa!! I know this mishap has caused a delay, but at least she HAS IT!!! WOOHOO!! Best of luck and keep us updated
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:15 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer that it'll take another week - I know how a week more can seem like an eternity...however, against the backdrop of the rest of your lives, it's not so bad!

Yours has to be one of the weirdest experiences. Asking her for something she doesn't even need, not looking at a stitch of evidence and then, low and behold, you get the answer to your prayers! I guess patience paid off in the end!

Abdo will be spending the weekend reorganizing our stuff and sending it off to the Consulate. God only knows how long it will take for "her royal hautiness" to review our evidence and render a decision!

Cheers on such wonderful news! Is she flying here or are you meeting her somewhere?

Patty Khadijah
Patty when is he gonna send all the stuff??.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:16 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Richard III

Note to Group: If there is even the remotest chance that someone else will be receiving your mail from the consulate ............... TELL THEM NOT TO OPEN IT!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I really, really hope on Sunday. That way they'll get it Monday. Luckily, I'll be in Montreal on business Tuesday - Saturday so I can't obsess too much. I suppose it's too much to hope they'll just look at what we submit and say "OK" here's your visa. I'm prepared to hear that they want to see him again for another interview. On the other hand, we can always get lucky like Richard!!!

Patty Khadijah

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Patty when is he gonna send all the stuff??.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Pattty -

She and her daughter are flying to Denver - the question now is when. There are negative tax consequences for her daughter NOT arriving in the US before January 1st so we are going to try to get it done. Unfortunately, burning all of next week waiting for this little problem to be solved means that airfare that would have cost $2200 for a flight out of Moscow next Thursday, December 18, will cost over $5000 starting Friday through the end of the year. So this could be referred to as the $2800 envelope ;^).

Richard III

Patty Khadijah
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna -

I know, I am counting my blessings. I was about to adjust my thinking to being in the Class of 2004, rather than 2003. I am thrilled to have what I have, it has been a long time coming. Thanks for your good wishes.

Richard III

Originally posted by NevAnna
Congratulations on the visa!! I know this mishap has caused a delay, but at least she HAS IT!!! WOOHOO!! Best of luck and keep us updated
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know but if the envelope clearly has his mother's name as the recipient, he shouldn't open it at all! Thats what you call privacy. Even my sister never open my letters unless I asked her to do so.

Or does the envelope has 'his' name as the recipient? By the way congratulations!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:44 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Richard,

many congrats on getting the visa finally....and really sorry about the brown envelope. I hope you guys can get it figured out with the minimum amount of fuss
Old Dec 11th 2003, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rzack -

A.) She told him to open it to see if she got her visa or if they just sent her passport back without the visa.

B.) I am told that there is no word in Russian for privacy.

C.) Thanks

Richard III

Originally posted by rzack
I don't know but if the envelope clearly has his mother's name as the recipient, he shouldn't open it at all! Thats what you call privacy. Even my sister never open my letters unless I asked her to do so.

Or does the envelope has 'his' name as the recipient? By the way congratulations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.