Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

"girlfriend visa"... legal/illegal?

"girlfriend visa"... legal/illegal?

Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jaci is a jewel in the roughJaci is a jewel in the roughJaci is a jewel in the roughJaci is a jewel in the rough
Default "girlfriend visa"... legal/illegal?

From a K-1 fiancee visa weblink... http://www.jpoc.net/easternwomen/germanfianceevisa.html

People often take this term to mean a visa that allows a fiancee to enter a country and live with their betrothed for some period of time before they make a decision on marrying. Indeed, that is the way in which many people actually use this type of visa. But, I do not believe that any legislature in the western world intended that to be the main purpose of this visa. Your fiancee is the person whom you have already chosen to marry. We are not discussing "boyfriend/ girlfriend visas" here!

Here is my question. According to this quote, "that is the way in which many people actually use this type of visa", but is it actually legal to do so?
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "girlfriend visa"... legal/illegal?

Originally Posted by Jaci
From a K-1 fiancee visa weblink... http://www.jpoc.net/easternwomen/germanfianceevisa.html

Here is my question. According to this quote, "that is the way in which many people actually use this type of visa", but is it actually legal to do so?

As long as they get married within the 90 days...
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Jaci, wouldn't a discussion group for German immigration law have a more on-point answer?
I'm a little foncused about your question.

But hey, how ya doing?!
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jaci is a jewel in the roughJaci is a jewel in the roughJaci is a jewel in the roughJaci is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by meauxna
Jaci, wouldn't a discussion group for German immigration law have a more on-point answer?
I'm a little foncused about your question.

But hey, how ya doing?!

Oh my gosh.. I didn't even notice that. I guess I'm getting cross eyed.
But anyway.. Hi Mo!

I'm just sniffing around for legal info, but I meant to find a similar statement about US immigration.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh.. I didn't even notice that. I guess I'm getting cross eyed.
But anyway.. Hi Mo!

I'm just sniffing around for legal info, but I meant to find a similar statement about US immigration.
I thought you got yourself a new boyfriend on the side? (JUST KIDDING USCIS!)

I've heard the same phrase used about the K-1 tho, that it's a try-it-on visa because the couple has "no other options". I guess it depends on how strictly you interpret the "intention to get married". I'm open minded enough to think that one could change their mind when faced with a 90 day deadline and a person they don't know really well in real life.
Some people do come over on a k-1 and decide that it's not for them. As long as that person leaves within their 90 day I-94, there is no harm/no foul and some of those people have been successfully petitioned by a new beau later on.

I think using the K-1 as a dating visa is a long winded way to go about it, but as you know, it takes all flavors....
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

I thought you got yourself a new boyfriend on the side? (JUST KIDDING USCIS!)

I've heard the same phrase used about the K-1 tho, that it's a try-it-on visa because the couple has "no other options". I guess it depends on how strictly you interpret the "intention to get married". I'm open minded enough to think that one could change their mind when faced with a 90 day deadline and a person they don't know really well in real life.
Some people do come over on a k-1 and decide that it's not for them. As long as that person leaves within their 90 day I-94, there is no harm/no foul and some of those people have been successfully petitioned by a new beau later on.

I think using the K-1 as a dating visa is a long winded way to go about it, but as you know, it takes all flavors....

Thanks Mo. I suppose how the CO decides to interpret "intention to get married" would have something to do with "the reasonable man standard", no?
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mo. I suppose how the CO decides to interpret "intention to get married" would have something to do with "the reasonable man standard", no?
My thinking is that they already have to have decided to get married, after all they have to sign affidavits saying they'll marry within 90 days. However, the thing about engagements is....they can be broken.

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

..........as you know, it takes all flavors....
It sure does but IMHO nothing beats French Vanilla!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 1:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not but I was just thinking of you yesterday. How are you? Where are you? How closer are you and your DH to getting a vsia?

Please update us on your situation.

Rete

Old Jun 13th 2006, 5:05 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Just to throw in my two cents worth, this type of visa was ideal for Corey and I. We'd both lived with people in the past, and had horrible experiences, and everyone knows that you don't know how you'll cope as a couple until you've witnessed your other half's quirks 24/7. We were sure that we wanted to marry, but decided "better safe than sorry", and waited a while after I got here before we did so.

This was better for us personally rather than jumping in head first, then realizing "Oh, s**t, I don't like you after all........" and going through a lengthy and costly (emotionally and financially) divorce. (Of course, I'm not knocking people who do get married right away, it just wasn't right for us! )

Although I don't condone people abusing this method and doing it just to get a GC, I see why genuine people choose it. If it hadn't worked out before we got married, my ass would've been on a plane back to England and another life lesson would've been learned. Thankfully, 3 yrs and 3 months later, we're still going strong!

Kate. xxx
Old Jun 15th 2006, 4:22 pm
Belfastman69

> > It sure does but IMHO nothing beats French Vanilla!
    > Just to throw in my two cents worth, this type of visa was ideal for
    > Corey and I. We'd both lived with people in the past, and had horrible
    > experiences, and everyone knows that you don't know how you'll cope as
    > a
    > couple until you've witnessed your other half's quirks 24/7. We were
    > sure that we wanted to marry, but decided "better safe than sorry",
    > and
    > waited a while after I got here before we did so.
    > This was better for us personally rather than jumping in head first,
    > then realizing "Oh, s**t, I don't like you after all........" and
    > going
    > through a lengthy and costly (emotionally and financially) divorce.
    > (Of
    > course, I'm not knocking people who do get married right away, it just
    > wasn't right for us! :))
    > Although I don't condone people abusing this method and doing it just
    > to
    > get a GC, I see why genuine people choose it. If it hadn't worked out
    > before we got married, my ass would've been on a plane back to England
    > and another life lesson would've been learned. Thankfully, 3 yrs and 3
    > months later, we're still going strong!
    > Kate. xxx:)
    > --

katesbackagain me and my wife met online i came to the U.S from northern
ireland we dated each other for 2 and a half months we fell in love and
got married. I applied for a green card and i filed all the papers i got
my biometrics done the other day but im afraid what the immigration
officer is going to say when we tell him/her that we met online do you
think it might go against us? thanks alot... Tony p.s we didnt
get married so i could stay here it was because we love each other
(being honest)

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belfastman69
...but im afraid what the immigration
think it might go against us?
Meeting online is very common now, and shouldn't be held against you at your AOS interview.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:16 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belfastman69
[q2
katesbackagain me and my wife met online i came to the U.S from northern
ireland we dated each other for 2 and a half months we fell in love and
got married. I applied for a green card and i filed all the papers i got
my biometrics done the other day but im afraid what the immigration
think it might go against us? thanks alot... Tony p.s we didnt
get married so i could stay here it was because we love each other
(being honest)

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com
What Noorah just said, except a longer version.........LOL!!!

In all honesty, the reality is that more and more people are using online dating as a way of meeting someone to share their lives with, and I think immigration officials recognize that.

When our officer asked that question, I got a little nervous as I didn't want him to get the impression that I went "online shopping" for a husband, but he gave no clues as to whether he was trying to catch us out or that he was suspicious of us in any way. Either he was genuinely interested, or he deserved an Oscar! If genuine people going through the same situation, there's nothing to worry about.

Kate. xxx

Last edited by katesbackagain; Jun 15th 2006 at 6:19 pm.