Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend is a UK citizen wanting to move to US with me after graduation

Wikiposts

Girlfriend is a UK citizen wanting to move to US with me after graduation

Old Nov 19th 2018, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Hanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Girlfriend is a UK citizen wanting to move to US with me after graduation

To make a long story short, I, a US citizen, met my girlfriend, a UK citizen, in 2015 and I moved to the UK for school earlier this year after being in a long distance relationship for over 2 years. I am looking at transferring back home in 2020 to finish school for financial reasons after she graduates also in 2020.

Neither of us wants to stay in the UK after graduation and moving to the US is what is best for both of us both mentally and financially. From what she and I have read, obtaining a work visa for the US is essentially impossible as she would either need years of work experience which would still not guarantee entry or have extraordinary abilities in a certain field.

The only solution we see is a Fiance/Spousal Visa. But the only obstacle we see is me being able to support both myself and her financially, which, considering she will be a recent graduate and I will still be in school, is impossible. The only solution we see to this is asking my parents to act as a financial sponsor since in the event that I move back home I will be living with them as would my girlfriend. Is this something that is possible? Furthermore, my parents would most likely not support marriage, but they love my girlfriend like a daughter and are willing to take us in for however long we need. However, at the moment, I see no other way for my girlfriend to be able to move to the US to be with me permanently.

Is it actually possible to do all this without the financial sponsorship and apply while unemployed? Or would financial sponsorship be the only way? If so, could a parent be a financial sponsor? Or is there any other way she could join me that doesn't involve marriage?

Do we have any other viable options?
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend is a UK citizen wanting to move to US with me after graduation

Get married ASAP. 99% your only option. I wouldn't even waste my time exploring anything else.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend is a UK citizen wanting to move to US with me after graduation

What civilservant said...

Your parents could be co-sponsors with you as the sponsor. Even if they provide all funds, they are still co-sponsors with you (the spouse) as primary sponsor. Marriage is required. There is no such thing as a girlfriend/partner visa.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Furthermore, my parents would most likely not support marriage
So they wouldn't support you getting married, but they would support you financially and provide you with somewhere to live as a married couple? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.... but whatever....

Any family member that meets the I-864 requirements can be a joint sponsor for the intending immigrant, but I would recommend you to try to get out of your family home ASAP after she enters the US. Living under someone else, having just moved half across the world, is not conducive to building a happy marriage generally.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage is really the only way in your situation. Anyone who is a USC or US PR, living in the USA, can be a joint sponsor.

If you have enough in assets you could avoid using a joint sponsor, but my guess is that you don't have $60K in the bank or in property value.

So, marriage and joint sponsor it is!

rene
Old Nov 19th 2018, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could go first get a job and use that.

Second moving out asap.

And not understanding the marriage thingy, same sex?
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Hanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond reputeHanesman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
So they wouldn't support you getting married, but they would support you financially and provide you with somewhere to live as a married couple? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.... but whatever....
That's not what I said. I said they are "willing to take us in for however long we need ". I never said as a married couple. They would most likely not support marriage because it's an impractical way of immigrating and involves a non-traditional wedding, if you can even call it a wedding. Besides we are both only 22 and I would still be in school by the time she moved with me. Marriage while still being a studet isn't exactly a pro in my parents' eyes.

Originally Posted by civilservant
I would recommend you to try to get out of your family home ASAP after she enters the US. Living under someone else, having just moved half across the world, is not conducive to building a happy marriage generally.
How am I going to move out when I said I will still be in school in 2020? I'm not paying for campus accommodation either when my school is literally a 15-minute drive and I can save thousands. No thanks.

My parenst are generous people and respect my gf. They would never do anything to cause strain on our relationship. They are willing to give us a place to stay as long we need it. I'm going to take advantage of that. It is just a matter of them accepting the fact that marriage is the only option for my gf and I to be together where we want to be.

Last edited by Hanesman; Nov 19th 2018 at 9:25 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
And not understanding the marriage thingy, same sex?
Why would you assume we're same sex? And how does that serve any relevance to my situation or my post?

I'm 22M and she's 22F.

Originally Posted by Boiler
You could go first get a job and use that.

Second moving out asap.
I just said " I am looking at transferring back home in 2020 to finish school for financial reasons after she graduates also in 2020." Obviously, I am not going to have a job and that won't make a difference regardless.

Moving out is not an option either. I will be heavily in debt and the lack of rent and food payments will allow me to put forth more in my monthly payments subsequent to graduation and receiving a job. My parents are generous enough to allow both me and my gf to stay as long as we need to.

Last edited by Hanesman; Nov 19th 2018 at 9:20 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you have enough in assets you could avoid using a joint sponsor, but my guess is that you don't have $60K in the bank or in property value.
How would I? I clearly just said we're both students at the moment and that I will still be one in 2020 when she graduates.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanesman
How would I? I clearly just said we're both students at the moment and that I will still be one in 2020 when she graduates.
I'm not sure there is any need to be so defensive or to snap at the people who are trying to help you? Being a student doesn't preclude you from owning property or having savings, so Noorah101 couldn't have known for sure that you wouldn't have that. People were also confused with the fact that your parents are happy for you to move in and live with them as if married, but not if you actually are married, hence the queries.

Bottom line is that as said above, marriage is your only option, as she won't have the skills/experience needed for an employment based visa from what you've said. So time to suck up to the parents and get them on board with the idea of marriage and sponsoring their future daughter-in-law I guess!

Best of luck.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not sure there is any need to be so defensive or to snap at the people who are trying to help you? Being a student doesn't preclude you from owning property or having savings, so Noorah101 couldn't have known for sure that you wouldn't have that. People were also confused with the fact that your parents are happy for you to move in and live with them as if married, but not if you actually are married, hence the queries.

Bottom line is that as said above, marriage is your only option, as she won't have the skills/experience needed for an employment based visa from what you've said. So time to suck up to the parents and get them on board with the idea of marriage and sponsoring their future daughter-in-law I guess!

Best of luck.
Didn't even snap at her or act defensive but ok? Nevertheless, that was a haste and unrealistic thing to say. No student is going to own $60K in proprty value let alone have much in savings.

Yes, my parents would happily take us in, but the idea of getting married in an unconventional manner and with everything going on they would have a difficult time accepting it. They may feel that we are only marrying in order for my gf to obtain a greencard

Last edited by Hanesman; Nov 19th 2018 at 9:22 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

LDR until you finish your education?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Nov 19th 2018 at 9:35 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nevertheless, that was a haste and unrealistic thing to say. No student is going to own $60K in proprty value let alone have much in savings.
Not sure why you think that, of course students can. Noorah101 guessed that you didn't have it, but she couldn't know that for sure, as others will do even if you don't.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 19th 2018 at 10:22 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't even snap at her or act defensive but ok? Nevertheless, that was a haste and unrealistic thing to say. No student is going to own $60K in proprty value let alone have much in savings.

Yes, my parents would happily take us in, but the idea of getting married in an unconventional manner and with everything going on they would have a difficult time accepting it. They may feel that we are only marrying in order for my gf to obtain a greencard
Well if your parents won't support you because you marry your girlfriend, and she can't live in the States unless she marries you, then a long distance relationship it is. Simple.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just pointing out another way to avoid using a joint sponsor. No need to get so defensive. All you had to say was "that's correct, I don't have that amount in savings or property".

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.