Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting nervous... No AOS/EAD receipt yet

Getting nervous... No AOS/EAD receipt yet

Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:54 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting nervous... No AOS/EAD receipt yet

We submitted Mark's applications for AOS and EAD almost two months ago, but have yet to receive anything from Norfolk about it. This despite the information packet saying he would be scheduled for fingerprinting "within one month."

Is there anything we can do to get some official notice from Norfolk that Mark's status is pending? The paperwork specifically says not to contact them until they've notified us, but they haven't done ANYTHING yet, so what do we do???

~ Jenney
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting nervous... No AOS/EAD receipt yet

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
We submitted Mark's applications for AOS and EAD almost two months ago, but have yet to receive anything from Norfolk about it. This despite the information packet saying he would be scheduled for fingerprinting "within one month."

Is there anything we can do to get some official notice from Norfolk that Mark's status is pending? The paperwork specifically says not to contact them until they've notified us, but they haven't done ANYTHING yet, so what do we do???

~ Jenney
Jenney,

A similar thing happened to me - I didn't receive the EAD NOA *at all*, and received the AOS NOA about 3-4 weeks after application. You can phone the national BCIS number to ask them to resend the receipt after you have waited 30 days (they may try and tell you that they can't resend - this is nonsense, they are obliged to. But you're best just hanging up and trying someone else rather than arguing). However, I would say you will receive just the I-485 receipt - the biometrics exam will (or should! I am yet to personally confirm this...) cover you for both.

Hope that helps. But I would call them tomorrow to get them to resend.

- Mark
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

esandstr is an unknown quantity at this point

~ Jenney
Hi!

A) Did you get a receipt from the postal service saying that the package had been delivered?

B) Have you checked to see if any of the checks/money orders have been cashed yet by the CIS?

Don't panic - it seems that sometimes the CIS is reaaaally slow at getting started and sometimes they simply "forget" to send out receipt notices. Go by A & B above and await the letters to show up any day now.

Best,

Eiolf
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:36 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by esandstr
Hi!

A) Did you get a receipt from the postal service saying that the package had been delivered?

B) Have you checked to see if any of the checks/money orders have been cashed yet by the CIS?

Don't panic - it seems that sometimes the CIS is reaaaally slow at getting started and sometimes they simply "forget" to send out receipt notices. Go by A & B above and await the letters to show up any day now.

Best,

Eiolf
Yes, we got return receipt, dated Oct 17 (we mailed the packet Oct 15); the checks were cashed on Oct 23. While this proves to *us* that they received the applications, that does not constitute official proof of anything. After all, the return receipt does not say what was sent to Norfolk, only that we mailed them *something* and they did in fact receive it.

I don't feel comfortable with him not having any official proof that he is here legally. His I-94 is expired, his K-1 visa is expired. He's just *here* -- I'd much rather he have something official stating that it's ok for him to be in a pending status.

BTW, what's the national BCIS number?? I've never had to ring them before...

Thanks for all your help

~ Jenney
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:12 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenney,

We filed for Cory's AOS in Arlington on July 1, and we haven't heard anything. The only evidence of life at the CIS is that my husband got his 1 year EAD a few months ago . Sounds like it will be a long wait.

Juliet
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:19 pm
I'm back!

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi Jenney,

We filed for Cory's AOS in Arlington on July 1, and we haven't heard anything. The only evidence of life at the CIS is that my husband got his 1 year EAD a few months ago . Sounds like it will be a long wait.

Juliet
The AOS process I expected to be a long one anyway, so I suppose that doesn't bother me so much. But in addition to wanting some sort of official documentation that Mark is legally here, we are just both really anxious for him to finally get his EAD so he can start working.

We're doing ok financially, but as each month passes now, it's becoming more and more evident the benefits of him having a job. Not just to supplement my income, but also so he can get out there, make friends, and have a life outside our little apartment. He keeps himself busy during the day, writing and other such things, but I'm sure he's more than ready to get something else going, especially after six months.

I suppose I'm also a bit disappointed we haven't heard anything sooner, given that the Norfolk office has a pretty good reputation for being quick. *sigh*

Anyway, thanks for all your responses. I can't say I'm feeling too encouraged, but that just goes with the territory where immigration matters are concerned, I'm afraid.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 9th 2003, 3:21 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenney,

I know exactly what you mean about wanting to have some legal documentation. He'll probably get his EAD soon (a lot sooner than the AOS interview) and at least that will serve as proof that he is here legally. Hope you hear something soon!

Juliet
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:05 pm
I'm back!

A quick update: I just got off the phone with Natl BCIS and found out a couple of things...

First, Norfolk is currently working on EAD applications filed in mid-Sept 2003 -- so we're a month behind. This is most distressing...

Second, since we didn't get a receipt, we have to write (or visit in person) the Norfolk office and request one.

Luckily for me, I just happened to mention to the phone rep that we were nervous about not having any official documentation that Mark is here legally. Had I not mentioned that, she wouldn't have told me that with this request we have to submit proof that his applications had been received! She said we need to provide copies of either our cancelled checks or our bank statements showing Norfolk had cashed our checks; otherwise, they might not send out the receipt.

When I pressed her for what other sorts of information we should include in the request (since she obviously wasn't very forthcoming with it on her own!), she said only Mark's name was required, which I find odd. I think, at the very least, we should include his A# or SSN.

So, that's where we are right now -- nowhere. I guess that new printer I got for Christmas will come in handy for printing this letter up!

Happy New Year to everyone...

~ Jenney
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:23 pm
jingling

Hi Jenney,

Other than Cory's EAD, we haven't heard anything either from Arlington. I hope Mark gets his EAD soon, I know how stressful it can be to wait to hear something. If Mark's EAD application is a month behind at their office, do you think contacting your congress representative might help?

Juliet
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:55 pm
I'm back!

Ok -- we got copies of our cancelled checks in the mail yesterday. Now we can send them off with our letter requesting this receipt be sent to us.

I still haven't decided if we should involve our senator yet. Don't want to ask our congressman; he did nothing for us last year about our 129F except add me to his email mailing list without my permission...

Now, a quick question:

I thought I read on here somewhere that you can find the application receipt number on the back of the cancelled check. This is the number you use to look up your application's status on the BCIS website.

I found an 8-digit number on the back of our cancelled checks, but apparently the receipt number is 13 digits and starts with 3 letters. No such number appears on our checks. Am I missing something??

~ Jenney
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jenney,

The 13-digit number you describe, which can be used to check status on the CIS web site, is used by the service centers.

My understanding is that applications filed at the district and sub offices cannot be tracked using the CIS web site, and that 'receipt numbers', if they are used by these offices, do not necessarily follow the format used by the service centers.

Regards, JEff

I thought I read on here somewhere that you can find the application receipt number on the back of the cancelled check. This is the number you use to look up your application's status on the BCIS website.

I found an 8-digit number on the back of our cancelled checks, but apparently the receipt number is 13 digits and starts with 3 letters. No such number appears on our checks. Am I missing something??

~ Jenney
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:35 pm
I'm back!

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
My understanding is that applications filed at the district and sub offices cannot be tracked using the CIS web site, and that 'receipt numbers', if they are used by these offices, do not necessarily follow the format used by the service centers.

Regards, JEff
DRAT!!

~ Jenney

p.s. Why do you type your name JEff and not Jeff?? I've always wanted to ask you that...
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jenney,

It started as the consequence of poor typing technique (which continues) but is also useful to distinguish myself from any other Jeffs out there.

Regards, JEff

DRAT!!

~ Jenney

p.s. Why do you type your name JEff and not Jeff?? I've always wanted to ask you that...
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:58 pm
jingling

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Jenney,

It started as the consequence of poor typing technique (which continues) but is also useful to distinguish myself from any other Jeffs out there.

Regards, JEff
Ok, a related question (I think it's been asked before but I forget )- what is that a picture of in your avatar?

Juliet