Getting my Green Card

Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my Green Card

Originally Posted by lion2010
I am beginning to think marriage will cut all this never ending red tape process..
Now you're getting it!

Rene
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lion2010
I am beginning to think marriage will cut all this never ending red tape process..
And it only took two days.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depeneds on the kind of visa, and also the way in which they sponsor you. I think that if you are on an l1a (which gives you an initial 5 years, with a 2 year extn)...and l1b gives you 3 years with an optional extra 2 for a total of 5. I think that if I were to go for a gc, they'd need to go through labor certification and the process takes longer than the 5 year max that I can get. Please not, this is just my understanding of it, I might be wrong.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
correct me if im wrong...but switch from L1B to GC is pretty hard isnt it because of the time lines involved. I was thinking about asking my employer to sponsor me, but the timeline is currently at 6 years of something ridiculous like that, but the visa only lasts for 5 years...so basically my visa would expire before I'd ever get a GC...I've only just got my L1B and have until 2013 so I'm not going to worry about it yet...
Hi pejpm1,

I wouldn't write off the possibility of getting a green card within the 5 years of an L1-B, but if you are at all interested in doing so, speak to your employer now. Although you say you don't want to worry about it yet, if your employer agrees, you could get the process started off and be at least in with a shot. In the last couple of visa bulletins the priority dates for 'rest of the world' have jumped forward from 2002 to 2005 in a couple of months. Although this is no guarantee of what they might to next it is certainly encouraging.

We waited 18 months before starting the green card process and I regret that now - it is surprising how quick the months go by!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Socal Local
Hi pejpm1,

I wouldn't write off the possibility of getting a green card within the 5 years of an L1-B, but if you are at all interested in doing so, speak to your employer now. Although you say you don't want to worry about it yet, if your employer agrees, you could get the process started off and be at least in with a shot. In the last couple of visa bulletins the priority dates for 'rest of the world' have jumped forward from 2002 to 2005 in a couple of months. Although this is no guarantee of what they might to next it is certainly encouraging.

We waited 18 months before starting the green card process and I regret that now - it is surprising how quick the months go by!
I'm going to ask them when I move out there in 2 weeks time. I'm moving with my girlfriend of 3 years who is a USC..so I think my route to a green card is likely to be marriage based...we've been living together for a couple of years now and everything is still going strong..but you never know, it couldnt hurt to begin the process as a backup plan!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

rdiamon1 will become famous soon enoughrdiamon1 will become famous soon enough

I came here on an L1B then moved over to H1B and I'm in my 9th year with a H1B extension that'll take me to 11 years on different visa's. To get this long on different visa's you have to be actively pursuing an AOS to green card and be someway into the process (not completely sure of all the details but you do have to push your labor cert as that will most likely take the longest). I would have much preferred the 10 month route to green card. It may be quicker these days with the PERM process and USCIS getting a bit quicker.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdiamon1
I came here on an L1B then moved over to H1B and I'm in my 9th year with a H1B extension that'll take me to 11 years on different visa's. To get this long on different visa's you have to be actively pursuing an AOS to green card and be someway into the process (not completely sure of all the details but you do have to push your labor cert as that will most likely take the longest). I would have much preferred the 10 month route to green card. It may be quicker these days with the PERM process and USCIS getting a bit quicker.
Our labor cert took 3 DAYS. (After the obligatory advertising period)