Wikiposts

Getting my Green Card

Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

lion2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Getting my Green Card

Just wondering on my options and time frame to getting a Green Card.

Background -
I'm English, British citizen, 28 years old with a BSc in Maths/Economics and MSc in Real Estate Investment and Finance - both UK universities, 5 years work experience an currently working for a European Investment Bank in London, base pay in £55-65k category, lived and studied and worked whole life in UK.

Now I'm not sure if they use a point based system like in UK and Australia? My current plan is to work in New York for 5+ years and then remain in US with aim of becoming US citizen and be based somewhere in US (California, NY) and living between London and US.

I may be sponsored by a part time MBA (between London Business School and Colombia business school in New York) - If I get sponsor from my work then I will stay in London until complete as was my plan to do this if I get sponsorship. Would the joint MBA with top US business school (or just recognition of LBS give some merit - ie in UK certain business schools can lead to automatic full 75 points for UK citizenship)???

What are my options of getting my investment bank to sponsor me to work in US if I applied with this company for a position in NY office? How long does it take for me to be allowed to work in US or if I applied (have been contacted by some head hunters in NY for some new positions) to a US job opening in US that would require them to sponsor me to work? Would I then get my green card or have to work for X number of years to get green card under work sponsorship?

On a final note, and one reason I want to move to US, my girlfriend of 2 years is from SF, California and been working in London for 3 years. We are not engaged but have talked about marriage - ideally this is not a path I want to go down as still feel it is too early for us both to make sure we want to be married. If we were engaged would I have option to work full time or if we were married how long would it take to get a green card?

Many thanks!

Last edited by lion2010; Mar 14th 2008 at 11:55 am.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my Green Card

The USA does not use a point system.

Marriage to your girlfriend would be by far the easiest and quickest method for you to immigrate to the USA.

If you were to come on an H1B visa, the deadline for a company to apply for you is fast approaching (April 1), for work starting in October. Last year all the visas were used up right on April 1st, and there were double the number of applicants to visas available, which means you have about a 50/50 chance of even getting your visa.

If you did get an H1B visa, you'd first come to work here, then have the company apply for your green card...long process.

If you work for a UK company which has a branch in the USA, it's a bit easier to get a transfer, after you've worked for that company in the UK for a year.

If I were you, I'd look into marriage, if your long-term goal is to live in the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are all the ways you can come to the USA: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by lion2010
If we were engaged would I have option to work full time or if we were married how long would it take to get a green card?
Just simply being engaged does not give you any US work benefits. Being engaged means you can go down the K-1 fiance visa route towards immigrating here, you must marry within 90 days of your arrival in the USA, and it takes about 8 to 10 months to get the K-1 visa. It takes another several months after arrival to get your green card via this route.

If you are married, especially if you marry now in the UK, you will be eligible to file the paperwork directly in London (since your wife already has a status in the UK for 6+ months). That is the fastest method, and only takes about 4 to 6 months to get the Immigrant Visa. Once you enter the USA using that visa, you get your green card right there at the POE.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks Noorah

We have talked about marriage - since she also has some plans to work longer in London or possibly return one day and her having a British passport would also allow her to do this, as well as work/live anywhere in Europe. But I feel we could be pushing for marriage too early - jumping boat for benefits without been 100% certain.

I'll look into work sponsorship - once you obtain the ability to work in US by employer(if I moved to NY position for instance backed by my currenty employer) then how long do you have to have been living and working in US before applying for green card?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:04 pm

I'll look into work sponsorship - once you obtain the ability to work in US by employer(if I moved to NY position for instance backed by my currenty employer) then how long do you have to have been living and working in US before applying for green card?
I'm not sure about the work visas...someone will be along who can answer those questions, I'm sure.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Noorah

We have talked about marriage - since she also has some plans to work longer in London or possibly return one day and her having a British passport would also allow her to do this, as well as work/live anywhere in Europe. But I feel we could be pushing for marriage too early - jumping boat for benefits without been 100% certain.

Once an employee has started working on a H1-b visa, I dont think that there is a minimum time frame for the employer to start the GC process rolling. The first stage is called "labor certification" (I think.) This is where the company has to advertise your job (think it's for three months) to prove that there is no American who could do or wants to do that job. Then the paperwork really begins.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

If your current employer is prepared to sponsor you for a position in the US you should be looking at the L1-B visa (or L1-A if you hold a management position). If you could subsequently show that the US position you are holding requires a Masters degree you could qualify for the EB2 category which should make it possible to complete the process for an employment based green card within the 5 years you would be allowed to stay on an L1-B visa.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 7:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There is NO automatic promise of a green card through employment.. if a specific employer sponsors you to come to the US to work for them, your permission to live and work here is tied to that one employer (sometimes that one job).
There is no guarantee that the employer will *ever* petition you for Permanent Residence.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Once an employee has started working on a H1-b visa, I dont think that there is a minimum time frame for the employer to start the GC process rolling. The first stage is called "labor certification" (I think.) This is where the company has to advertise your job (think it's for three months) to prove that there is no American who could do or wants to do that job. Then the paperwork really begins.
Right, all if the employer is willing and plans to sponsor him for PR---it is not automatic and many H-1Bs go home without every getting a crack at a green card.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks.

So this seems to be the best process - getting my current employer or future employer to sponsor me (under the professional category with masters) which gives me the working and living ability to stay in US but as I'm tied to that employer without a full green card, then the next step would be to get them to apply for a green card for me which can be done immediately as soon as I start work in US? There is no specific time frame for which I need to have been working for this employer?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:14 am

Thanks.

So this seems to be the best process - getting my current employer or future employer to sponsor me (under the professional category with masters) which gives me the working and living ability to stay in US but as I'm tied to that employer without a full green card, then the next step would be to get them to apply for a green card for me which can be done immediately as soon as I start work in US? There is no specific time frame for which I need to have been working for this employer?
That's right, there's no specific time you will need to have worked for the employer before he can start applying for your green card. But the employer can always say no, time after time, and simply never apply for your green card. It's not guaranteed.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

There is no specific time frame for which I need to have been working for this employer?
For the L visas (intra-company transfer) you need to have been working for the UK company for at least one year prior to transfer to the US.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

correct me if im wrong...but switch from L1B to GC is pretty hard isnt it because of the time lines involved. I was thinking about asking my employer to sponsor me, but the timeline is currently at 6 years of something ridiculous like that, but the visa only lasts for 5 years...so basically my visa would expire before I'd ever get a GC...I've only just got my L1B and have until 2013 so I'm not going to worry about it yet...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I think you might have misunderstood this...the masters has nothing to do with it initially. I'm on an L1B and I dont even have a degree. If you get your current employer to move you it'll be on an L1B (skilled worker), or possibly an L1A if you qualify as being management or senior executive. The point when your MA would come into play would be when they begin the process of GC sponsorship.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:06 am
Just Joined

So the sponsor company essentially only gives you a 5 year visa and the process under the work visa to green card typically takes 6 years???

I am beginning to think marriage will cut all this never ending red tape process..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.