Reload this Page >

Getting married in the USA

Getting married in the USA

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:08 am
Just Joined

RMC1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married in the USA

Hi

I'm new to this site...so I hope I am in the right place!

I'm British and have been dating a girl from the US for over 2 years. We have been engaged for over a year now... serious health problems on my Fiancee's part have slowed our plans down.

I am currently living with her here in the US whilst I am on a 3 month visitor's visa and we would like to get married before she starts her next round of treatments.

Can anyone please advise the simplest means of us getting married and what documentation I will require.

It broke my heart the last time I had to leave her during her treatment and neither of us want to be apart from each other any longer.

My current "visa" runs out in a months time...... and given her current poor health.... I basically would like to know if getting married before this time means that I can stay with her legally.... without me being sent home.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards

RMC
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Getting married in the USA

Yes, you can get married, and no, it does not mean you have to go back right away. But it does mean that you will have difficulties coming back to the States since you will be considered a potential immigrant. You may be refused a visa or an entry at the port of entry.

All you have to do to get married is to obtain a marriage license. SOme states require a blood test by both applicants. You will find out all the details when you call Probate Court of your county, City Hall, or visit their websites.
You have to show an id to get a marriage license, and then you can get married. Some states have a waiting period, like a day or three, some do not require it. The simplest way to get married is to get married by a judge at the court house.

Good luck! A couple of good wedding forums can be found at www.weddingchannel.com and www.theknot.com. They have nothing to do with immigration, just weddings.

About a week after getting married, you can request a copy of your marriage certificate and with that and a bunch of forms you have to fill out, you can apply for a green card (adjustment of status). Here is the link to the forms:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm
If you decide to leave the U.S. and do consular processing, you should be aware that it can take up to two years until you get an immigrant visa and can come to the States again. In your particular case, it's better to adjust status (unless you came on a visa waiver, because in this case you can't adjust) in the States, since it will allow you to stay here legally in "pending adjustment" status. You will get your work permit in about 3 months after applying.

Of course, I am assuming that you are considering immigration. Come back here for advice on immigration again, any time.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

JubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting married in the USA

Originally posted by LucyMO
If you decide to leave the U.S. and do consular processing, you should be aware that it can take up to two years until you get an immigrant visa and can come to the States again. In your particular case, it's better to adjust status (unless you came on a visa waiver, because in this case you can't adjust) in the States, since it will allow you to stay here legally in "pending adjustment" status. You will get your work permit in about 3 months after applying.

Of course, I am assuming that you are considering immigration. Come back here for advice on immigration again, any time.
You can adjust status whilst in the US thru visa-waiver, when you become the immediate relative of a USC (ie get married).