Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting Married in UK but moving to USA

Getting Married in UK but moving to USA

Old Mar 11th 2024, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

LoveBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Married in UK but moving to USA

I apologise if this is the wrong forum to ask these questions in, but as our case is slightly different, I'm not sure if we should write in the UK immigration groups or the US ones!

I have some health issues that means it is very difficult for me to travel or leave my home without assistance. I have been in a long-term long-distance relationship with my American fiance now for 10 years (he visits me once a year in the UK, sometimes twice if we can afford it). We obviously wanted to marry and be together sooner but our finances and circumstances made it difficult but we are now determined to finally get married this year, hopefully in the Summer!

We were thinking of going the CR1 route and getting married in the UK since I can't easily go to the US (I have no family or help in the UK, and I have senior cats with health issues - one is currently going through chemo). Then he will go back to the US, and file the CR1 there.
  1. I am getting confused with the financial requirements that I am reading, however. Most of the information I am finding when getting married here is with the intention of him moving to the UK, but since that is not our plan, do we still have to meet the financial requirements?
  2. Added to the confusion, I am self-employed as a writer. I do receive the full rates of PIP too.
  3. How long does it take to get a fiance visa? We were hoping he could come here in May or June to get married.
  4. I've read that the fiance visa means he can stay in the UK for up to 6 months for us to get married while we wait for approval for our marriage, but while he is here waiting, is he allowed to complete some paid training for a company online? He won't have a job with them and will have to apply for a job on his return for the winter season, but paid training isn't counted as work is it?
  5. Re the KR1 visa - if we went this route, I know I am not allowed to work until I received my SSN, but as one of my jobs is as a self-published author, surely I can keep selling my books and making an income even if I am not techinically "working"? Would releasing new books count as working? And am I not able to do work for the UK during this time either? I'm just trying to understand how it all applies to me.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married in UK but moving to USA

As you are intending to marry in the UK and then your husband return to the US, you need to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa.
This allows you to marry within 6 months of arrival, but you must leave before the 6 months is up.
It is much cheaper than the fiance or spouse visa and without any of the financial needs.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa

Not sure about the 'training'. He won't be employed by a company but they are paying for his training?

Old Mar 11th 2024, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

LoveBound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Not sure about the 'training'. He won't be employed by a company but they are paying for his training?
Hi, thank you for that info. Such a relief to know there aren't any of the financial needs.

Yes, I'm not sure how it works exactly, but his current job (taxes) is seasonal and ends in April, but they said they will reimburse him for training/acredition in his field. The training only takes place in the summer though, when he should be in the UK. The idea is that he applies for the next seasonal job with them for the winter, on his return to the US.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveBound
H

Yes, I'm not sure how it works exactly, but his current job (taxes) is seasonal and ends in April, but they said they will reimburse him for training/acredition in his field. The training only takes place in the summer though, when he should be in the UK. The idea is that he applies for the next seasonal job with them for the winter, on his return to the US.
Taking an online training course does not conflict with the 'no work' rule - so sounds like he's be OK doing it.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 5:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

LB the first four questions should be asked at the MOVING BACK TO THE UK forum ... https://britishexpats.com/forum/citi...-visas-uk-196/ ...

Question 5 --- is about US Immigration.

Your assumption is incorrect. When you are approved for your Conditional Resident Visa - 1 (CR-1) you enter the US, get your passport stamped with an I-551 and viola, you are a US permanent resident and can work and live in the US immediately. You will need, of course, to apply for a social security number but since you are working for yourself, you can work iommediately.

Rete
Old Mar 11th 2024, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add on top of this, you mentioned some health issues, depending on if that is something that needs ongoing medication or doctors visits, make sure you'll have enough money to cover the health insurance deductible and copay etc. as well as the monthly premiums otherwise it will be a shock to the system if you're used to NHS coverage.
Old Mar 12th 2024, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EdgeAA
Just to add on top of this, you mentioned some health issues, depending on if that is something that needs ongoing medication or doctors visits, make sure you'll have enough money to cover the health insurance deductible and copay etc. as well as the monthly premiums otherwise it will be a shock to the system if you're used to NHS coverage.
Good catch.... hopefully the husband has good health insurance with his job so wife can be added to it. Even with good company insurance the employee pays a monthly premium for self and dependents, also there are co-pays and deductibles. Again, husband should have researched this already.
Also, the OP has PIP benefits (Personal Independence Payments). These won't continue when in the US.