Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married just before filing I-485 - required documents?

Getting married just before filing I-485 - required documents?

Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Will is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married just before filing I-485 - required documents?

With the new I-140/I-485 concurrent rule, I plan to file my I-485 ASAP. I was planning on getting married to my (non-American)fiancee later this year given that the I-140 would take 6 months, and she would be a dependant on my application.

Now it seems we have to move those marriage plans forward and get all the paperwork (marriage certificates) done before I file the I-485.

Q: Will this raise any suspicions getting married just days before filing the I-485?

Q: What evidence needs to be submitted with the I-485 in terms of marriage certificates etc?
Old Aug 11th 2002, 1:19 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Getting married just before filing I-485 - required documents?

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:20:59 -0700, Will wrote:

> With the new I-140/I-485 concurrent rule, I plan to file my I-485 ASAP. I was
    > planning on getting married to my (non-American)fiancee later this year given that
    > the I-140 would take 6 months, and she would be a dependant on my application.
    > Now it seems we have to move those marriage plans forward and get all the paperwork
    > (marriage certificates) done before I file the I-485.
    > Q: Will this raise any suspicions getting married just days before filing the
    > I-485?

Probably not. Actually, you can still wait. You have to be married only by the time
the I-485 is *approved*.

> R: What evidence needs to be submitted with the I-485 in terms of marriage
    > certificates etc?

Just a marriage certificate, and of course her own I-485 with all the supporting
paperwork and fees. If you get married later and file her I-485 separately, you'd
also need to include a copy of your own I-485 receipt to show that she is entitled to
derived status.

Ingo