Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting Married Elsewhere?

Getting Married Elsewhere?

Old May 16th 2006, 11:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married Elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Chrisw1968
Hi Guys
I'm just working through I-129F and G325a for the fiance visa - but what is the situation if we wanted to get married abroad? Do we need additional forms - do we still need the ones we are working on now?

Ok, dumb question - I have a British passport, intend living in USA once married, but not really fussed on whether I change my nationality - in which case, when my passport expires - how would I get a replacement?

Thanks guys
As for your passport, you remain a British citizen when you become a permanent resident of the US. You cannot obtain a US passport until or unless you naturalize.
Old May 17th 2006, 12:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene - Thats pretty much answered me - I was just wondering what would happen if we got the fiance visa - and then decided to get married elsewhere. If we do that, and need to get a spouse one - is that needed before or after any wedding?

Sorry to be so thick - but its all new to me lol

PS - my partner is the USC and were doing the forms between us
hey Chris,
I read the first page of your "USA" thread (it usually degenerates over there after page one ) and see what some of your misunderstandings are.
First off, there is no easier place in the western world to get married than the US. Everywhere else you mentioned will be a nightmare, not easier. Unless you are set on a destination wedding, keep life simple.

Next, there's no 'changing your mind' or even 'doing what you want' if you're factoring in immigration, the desire to be together in the near future and having a future. There's several priorities to sort our first (work, timeline, int'l travel). Believe it or not, you can not have it all. Why don't you have a look at this tool and see if it helps you clarify things:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...m&page=compare

Usually the work issue is most important, followed by travel. Choose wisely, and know that where in the US you will live actually plays a part in how long it takes to finish all this (refer you to sharmilashah's thread, current today).

Good luck & welcome.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future

Wow! - Guys, I cant thank you enough for all of this info - there was me, just thinking that I have nearly finished the forms, ready to send to Cindy - and now it looks like I may be better off using a different visa.

The main reason that i was doiung the forms was because i'm reasonably computer literate - where Cindy admits to having trouble in knowing how to turn a pc on! lol

AS i own all of the proofs that we met (photos, tickets etc) - i was going to have to mail them to her anyway, so I just fiigured that i may as well do as much of it as i could.

It seems like this other "Bring your partner over" visa is more straightforward than getting a fiance visa?

I'm not fussed where we get married to be honest - but Cindy has said that she prefers it was outside of the USA as she has been divorced before and thinks its pretty bad karma! lol

Besides, we'll be in Iowa!!!!!!!! i've not seen any nice churches in amongst the cornfields! lol

In terms of working, I amlucky enough to not need to worry about that for the moment, so a bit of panic has been taken off there.

I cant thank you enough guys - I REALLY appreciate it
Old May 17th 2006, 8:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! - Guys, I cant thank you enough for all of this info - there was me, just thinking that I have nearly finished the forms, ready to send to Cindy - and now it looks like I may be better off using a different visa.

It seems like this other "Bring your partner over" visa is more straightforward than getting a fiance visa?

I'm not fussed where we get married to be honest - but Cindy has said that she prefers it was outside of the USA as she has been divorced before and thinks its pretty bad karma! lol
You're welcome, your enthusiasm is catchy! LOL

The fiance visa and spouse visa are very different things, so make sure you read up on both of them carefully and decide which is right for you. The K-1 fiance visa is a little more straightforward, in my opinion, and probably gets you over here quicker, although there's more paperwork to be done once you're here in the USA. The immigrant spouse visa might take a little longer (and it might be difficult to get married in a 3rd country, as meauxna pointed out), but the advantage is that you enter the USA as a permanent resident already...no paperwork to do until almost 2 years later. Filing the I-129F for the K-3 is a good backup plan, in case the immigrant visa ends up taking a very long time.

Think about it more, and do some research on what it takes to get married in the country you want. They will have their own rules about who can get married in their country and what the requirements are (such as one or both of you should be resident there, what paperwork is required from you, etc). Of course, Cindy can get a visa to get married in the UK, also...that only takes a few days to get, from what I hear, and you can have your wedding at a quaint old church in your hometown. Then she'll come back and file the I-130 (and possibly the I-129F if you want to try for the K-3 as well) stateside....and that will be the start of your immigration process. Figure on it taking about 6 to 8 months or so for the Immigrant Visa to process, if you have a straightforward case.

There will be a period of separation no matter which visa you choose (unless she stays with you in the UK while you wait). For some people, it's an important decision whether to be separated as an engaged couple or a married couple. (sorry Ian, I took your line. lol) It might be more difficult to bear the separation as a married couple, especially if you are so anxious to start your married life together. Give it some serious thought, and come on back with any questions!

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 17th 2006 at 8:50 am.
Old May 17th 2006, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Getting Married Elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You're welcome, your enthusiasm is catchy! LOL

The fiance visa and spouse visa are very different things, so make sure you read up on both of them carefully and decide which is right for you. The K-1 fiance visa is a little more straightforward, in my opinion, and probably gets you over here quicker, although there's more paperwork to be done once you're here in the USA. The immigrant spouse visa might take a little longer (and it might be difficult to get married in a 3rd country, as meauxna pointed out), but the advantage is that you enter the USA as a permanent resident already...no paperwork to do until almost 2 years later. Filing the I-129F for the K-3 is a good backup plan, in case the immigrant visa ends up taking a very long time.

Think about it more, and do some research on what it takes to get married in the country you want. They will have their own rules about who can get married in their country and what the requirements are (such as one or both of you should be resident there, what paperwork is required from you, etc). Of course, Cindy can get a visa to get married in the UK, also...that only takes a few days to get, from what I hear, and you can have your wedding at a quaint old church in your hometown. Then she'll come back and file the I-130 (and possibly the I-129F if you want to try for the K-3 as well) stateside....and that will be the start of your immigration process. Figure on it taking about 6 to 8 months or so for the Immigrant Visa to process, if you have a straightforward case.

There will be a period of separation no matter which visa you choose (unless she stays with you in the UK while you wait). For some people, it's an important decision whether to be separated as an engaged couple or a married couple. (sorry Ian, I took your line. lol) It might be more difficult to bear the separation as a married couple, especially if you are so anxious to start your married life together. Give it some serious thought, and come on back with any questions!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks Rene, I really do appreciate everything that you guys have done / said for me, ill let you know of any more problems and how i'm getting on

I think we would definitely prefer to be apart during our engagement rather than when we are husband and wife though - i wonder if the carribbean is classed as the USA? lol
Old May 17th 2006, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
(sorry Ian, I took your line. lol)
No worries... I'm into recycling!

Ian
Old May 17th 2006, 2:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene, I really do appreciate everything that you guys have done / said for me, ill let you know of any more problems and how i'm getting on

I think we would definitely prefer to be apart during our engagement rather than when we are husband and wife though - i wonder if the carribbean is classed as the USA? lol
If you decide you want to be separated during the engagement rather than marriage....then your only option is the K-1, which means getting married in the USA, bad karma or not. I might add that it's best to get married in one of the continental US states, not even someplace like Hawaii, because it takes you into some territory where if the plane needs to make an emergency landing outside of US territory, you are SOL. Play it safe, tell Cindy you are her good luck charm for breaking bad karma, and get married in a cornfield (after you enter on the K-1, of course!).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 17th 2006, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No worries... I'm into recycling!

Ian
Thanks Ian, you're the coolest!
Old May 17th 2006, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You might talk to Cindy about having a civil service in the US to comply with the K-1 terms and having a destination celebration several months later when you are allowed to travel out of the US (and return). Not as much fun, I know.

About my earlier answer---we were living in Greece and wanted to marry overseas, but due to some personal issues wanted to do it within a certain, short timeframe. In Greece, even as residents, it took us 6+ weeks to comply with the regs and get a date (wedding date is assigned, not chosen). I spent a lot of time researching other European countries where we had ties and couldn't come up with anything faster (I missed Gibraltar unfortunately).

As for the Caribbean, destination weddings are popular and there are US territories where you could still comply with the K-1 terms. Rene brings up a valuable point on the conservative side tho, so tread carefully.