Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married and changing name on visa help needed

Wikiposts

Getting married and changing name on visa help needed

Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all
Default Getting married and changing name on visa help needed

Hi I am currently on a H1B visa working as a postdoc scientist but I am getting married in June back in the UK, does anyone know how I can go about changing my name on my passport and visa etc?
When I leave the US to go back home to get married I will still have my maiden name, but then when I return 2 weeks later I will have my married name. Can I travel out on one passport with my maiden name and return on another one? Or is it best to keep my maiden name until I return to the US and then change my name?
Also who do I need to get in contact with regarding changing visa/passport name? Would I need to get a new visa issued and go to the US embassy in London again??
Any help/information would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married and changing name on visa help needed

Originally Posted by linakemp
Hi I am currently on a H1B visa working as a postdoc scientist but I am getting married in June back in the UK...
What's really important, is ensuring that your plane tickets are in the same name as in your passport. If you change your passport (can this actually be done in 2 weeks? I think not)... you must change the tickets.

Or is it best to keep my maiden name until I return to the US and then change my name?
Seems a lot easier, doesn't it?

Also who do I need to get in contact with regarding changing visa/passport name?
No idea about the visa, but you can apply for a new passport at the UK Embassy in DC.

Would I need to get a new visa issued and go to the US embassy in London again?
You do realize, don't you, that your birth name is still your legal name whether or not you use your married name!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 20th 2008 at 9:17 am.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

thanks Ian

does anyone know who I need to get in contact with regarding changing my name on my visa?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Ian

does anyone know who I need to get in contact with regarding changing my name on my visa?
I was under the impression that once you get a new passport, they do not transfer the visa to the new passport. Therefore, you would just need to carry both passports whenever you travel.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you need to? You're still you... carry a copy of your marriage certificate. Much easier! Anyway, Rene is right... carry both passports!

Ian
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

riazanjum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am currently on a H1B visa working as a postdoc scientist but I am getting married in June back in the UK, does anyone know how I can go about changing my name on my passport and visa etc?
When I leave the US to go back home to get married I will still have my maiden name, but then when I return 2 weeks later I will have my married name. Can I travel out on one passport with my maiden name and return on another one? Or is it best to keep my maiden name until I return to the US and then change my name?
Also who do I need to get in contact with regarding changing visa/passport name? Would I need to get a new visa issued and go to the US embassy in London again??
Any help/information would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Hi. I have the same problem.please let me know when it is solved.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by riazanjum
Hi. I have the same problem.please let me know when it is solved.
You are responding to a post that is almost 7 months old.

At any rate, it's not a problem. You carry *both* passports and a copy of your marriage certificate when you travel. You are still the same person.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You are responding to a post that is almost 7 months old.

At any rate, it's not a problem. You carry *both* passports and a copy of your marriage certificate when you travel. You are still the same person.

Ian
Hi:

If I was to give advice, I would simply note that a married woman also has the option of using BOTH names. I've noted for a long time, outside of immigration law, that many professional women, such as OP here will use their maiden name as their legal name for all documentation and their married name for social purposes.

Also, I've noted that use of something like Dr. Susan Husband-Maiden will often work [this is a variation of the Spanish naming system in any case ].