Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting Married in Central America

Getting Married in Central America

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 5:43 pm
Ranjini

A US citizen friend of ours hopes to get married in the next few days to his fiancee,
in a certain central American country. In fact he is already there. He originally
intended filing I-130 when he returned to the US. But now he is talking about
returning to the US with his wife after marriage and then filing I-130. I told him
that she would be denied entry. Am I right? Say she were to enter on tourist visa,
not indicating at the POE that they were married, isn't this risky? I would like some
expert opinion here so that I can advise him accordingly. Please help. Ranjini

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 5:49 pm
Toni B

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Personally, I wouldn't do that, but I'm no expert either. I was married in Guatemala
and we are now waiting approval of the I-130. I know that many people are denied
visitor visas from Guatemala and other CA countries may be as strict, so there is no
guarantee that she'll get a visa anyway. Bottom line is that what he is thinking
isn't legal because she is entering with intent to immigrate and he's risking getting
her turned away with a lenghty ban I think.

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 7:48 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Ranjini wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I think it is risky. If she already has a tourist visa and could enter without having
to answer any **significant questions**, then he could go ahead and try adjustment of
status, but if it was me, i would use an attorney if I wanted to try that way.

If INS is privy to the marriage at the time of entry, however, her chances of gaining
entry are about 0 in 100.

I suspect that central americans are questioned rather thoroughly in comparison to
those from other countries, additionally, as from what I understand, there have been
several attempted unlawful entries into the US.

Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 9:47 pm
Okonami Yaki

"Ranjini" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
I suspect that this is one more of those posts where someone is having a blessing
ceremony so that in the eyes of the family their daughter seems to be going away with
her foreign husband rather than just skipping town with a stranger. Ask your friend
whether this is the central american country where the bride and groom tie their legs
together like in a sack race and hop down the ceremonial steps of the mayan pyramid.
When they reach the ground (an intermediate landing in the case of high mass
differential) where the family and friends are gathered, everybody gathers around and
congratulate the couple.

>
Neither right or wrong. Read the chain in this ng with the subject "Marriage
Ceremony".
    >
    >
If they had skipped-the-steps or jumped-the-broom to feel married, it would be stupid
to bring these events up at the POE, especially if these ceremonies are not legal
marriages in the local jurisdiction. The bigger challenge would be to get a tourist
visa from the embassy of that central american country.

>
    >

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 11:29 pm
Ranjini

Alvena, What are these **significant questions**? If she answers no to questions
pertaining to her "immigrant intent" how would this influence the outcome of her
subsequent adjustment of status? Is there some sort of record kept which can be
produced at the interview? Though I entirely agree with your point of view, I'm just
curious. Thanks, Ranjini

>
[usenetquote2]> > A US citizen friend of ours hopes to get married in the next few days to[/usenetquote2]
his
[usenetquote2]> > fiancee, in a certain central American country. In fact he is already[/usenetquote2]
there.
[usenetquote2]> > He originally intended filing I-130 when he returned to the US. But now he is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > talking about returning to the US with his wife after[/usenetquote2]
marriage
[usenetquote2]> > and then filing I-130. I told him that she would be denied entry. Am I right? Say[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > she were to enter on tourist visa, not indicating at the POE that[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > were married, isn't this risky? I would like some expert opinion here[/usenetquote2]
so
[usenetquote2]> > that I can advise him accordingly. Please help.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >