Wikiposts

getting married

Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:15 am
Just Joined

jameshcwilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting married

Hello, I'm new here. My name is James.

I am a British citizen who is planning on marrying my American girlfriend, in California. I hope to move to the US indefinitely.

Do I have to apply for a marriage license or anything like that? I'm sure its not just as simple as walking into a church, or registry office.

I am currently in the UK, but I fly out to San Diego at the start of September for 3 months. I'm just checking if there is anything I have to organize in order to get married.

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting married

Originally Posted by jameshcwilson

I am a British citizen who is planning on marrying my American girlfriend, in California. I hope to move to the US indefinitely.

Do I have to apply for a marriage license or anything like that? I'm sure its not just as simple as walking into a church, or registry office.

I am currently in the UK, but I fly out to San Diego at the start of September for 3 months. I'm just checking if there is anything I have to organize in order to get married.

Thank you very much.
Hi James,

Yes, you guys will need to first apply for a marriage license once you get to the USA. Do a search online for the requirements of the county where you will be getting married. Here in the USA, each city/county/state has it's own rules on how to get married.

There is nothing really that YOU need to do. You enter on the VWP, find out how to apply for the marriage license, and find out if there's a required waiting time between applying for the license and actually getting married...then get married. Then you leave the USA before your 90 days is up.

You and you fiancee can research online ahead of time what it takes to get married in the location you have in mind.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 10th 2008 at 6:22 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to move to the US indefinitely.
Hi James,

When do you plan to move?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:47 am
Just Joined

jameshcwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometime in the next year or two. After my VWP runs out I'll return to England and save up a bit of money, and then apply at the embassy for a 'marriage visa' (or whatever its called).

The are a few problems with getting that visa though - a few months ago I was rejected a B2 (6 month) visa as I did not provide enough evidence that I had strong ties to Britain. And although I have never really been in trouble with the police, I did get summoned to court when I was a teenager for not paying a train ticket. Do you think that either of these will cause any problems?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi James,

Yes, you guys will need to first apply for a marriage license once you get to the USA. Do a search online for the requirements of the county where you will be getting married. Here in the USA, each city/county/state has it's own rules on how to get married.

There is nothing really that YOU need to do. You enter on the VWP, find out how to apply for the marriage license, and find out if there's a required waiting time between applying for the license and actually getting married...then get married. Then you leave the USA before your 90 days is up.

You and you fiancee can research online ahead of time what it takes to get married in the location you have in mind.

Rene
Thanks Rene, you've been very helpful.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometime in the next year or two. After my VWP runs out I'll return to England and save up a bit of money, and then apply at the embassy for a 'marriage visa' (or whatever its called).

The are a few problems with getting that visa though - a few months ago I was rejected a B2 (6 month) visa as I did not provide enough evidence that I had strong ties to Britain. And although I have never really been in trouble with the police, I did get summoned to court when I was a teenager for not paying a train ticket. Do you think that either of these will cause any problems?

Thanks Rene, you've been very helpful.
I doubt either of those two will be an issue for your Immigrant Visa.

So what will happen is, after you return to the UK after getting married in the USA, your wife will file an I-130 petition here in the USA. Eventually you will be sent some paperwork to fill out for your Immigrant Visa application, you'll get a police report and medical done, and then go for an interview at the embassy in London. When you get your Immigrant Visa, you have 6 months to use it.

It takes around 8 to 10 months from filing the I-130 to getting the visa in hand.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

After my VWP runs out I'll return to England
Make sure you return to England before your VWP admission runs out.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt either of those two will be an issue for your Immigrant Visa.
Could very well be an issue for his VWP marriage entry, though!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Could very well be an issue for his VWP marriage entry, though!
True. To the OP, just make sure you are completely honest when answering any questions on any forms, including the I-94W.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

He can't, because he's been refused a visa. He can't use the VWP.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
What do you mean........... he was refused a B2 because he is eligible for the VWP.

Though he may now face questioning.

I wouldn't plan a grand wedding...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

True. To the OP, just make sure you are completely honest when answering any questions on any forms, including the I-94W.

Rene
Wonder if the "criminal" box should have been ticked on any previous VWP entries. Or will this one be his first one? Also wonder if he fessed up on the B2 application?

This one's starting to smell of skeletons!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much.

Oooo I can help here

Where abouts in San Diego? We got married at the Kearny Mesa place:

http://arcc.co.san-diego.ca.us/servi..._licenses.aspx

Very easy. We turned up with our passports (both UK citizens) and birth certs (Me Oz, him Blighty) and about 60 bucks. Marriage license given to us within 20 minutes. License valid for 90 days ...but we got married about an hour later...whenever the next celebrant/whatever person was available...and also a witness that they provided.

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

PM me for more info.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Aug 10th 2008 at 9:25 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
What do you mean........... he was refused a B2 because he is eligible for the VWP.
Says who? The only info we have been given on the reason for refusal of the visa is not enough ties to the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Hmmm, I thought you could still use the VWP if you've been denied a visitor's visa, you just have to check the box which says you've been denied a visa.

I thought you couldn't use the VWP if you've ever overstayed on the VWP.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

hajamie is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the same. Good name btw!
J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.