Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Wikiposts

Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:31 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

"Residence" determines jurisdiction, not "citizenshhip."
Yeah, it ain't like you can file from here during a Vegas quickie!

What would you put as your address:

Ms Me-Newlywed
c/o Elvis Presley
Little White Chapel Of Love
100 Main Strip
Las Vegas, NV 92395

hope everything goes well for you guys!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

SuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Thanks, we are starting to get a plan in place after days of discussion! I was reading some people's web pages where they filed DCF in Frankfurt in June & got their greencards in August, so that is real incentive to go this route (though I guess you can't really assume anything, but we can hope!). I never thought I would get married in Germany, but some relatives from both sides will still come over and it will all seem like a big adventure later.

If anyone is still reading this thread or finds it later, here is a bit more info about getting married in Germany. Perhaps it will help you.

I went to the standesamt office this morning in Munich. Though the list of requirements I posted earlier looks scary, in the end it is really not that bad. Note that this is for Munich and the requirements will vary by city, and that we are both registered residents in Munich at the moment.

So we need for him (UKC):
-A newly issued (within 6 months) birth certificate with parental info (no apostille required)(Translated into German by approved translator)
-Passport with residence permit inside it
-Letter from his workplace explaining his position & also a copy of Uni diploma (translated into German by approved translator)
-Something having to do with where he is registered, but since we are registered and getting married in the same district, there's nothing extra for us to do

For me (USC):
-A newly issued (within 6 months) birth certificate with parental info (apostille required!)(Translated into German by approved translator)
-Passport with residence permit inside it
-Letter from my workplace explaining my position & also a copy of Uni diploma (translated into German by approved translator) though I think mine is optional
-Something having to do with where I am registered, but since we are registered and getting married in the same district, there's nothing extra for us to do
-A sworn statement that I am free to marry, which I can do when we go back with the paperwork (it has to be reviewed by a court & this costs a bit more)

Together we need:
-An easy form they gave us to fill out biographical info & sign an affidavit in their office at the next visit.

The only thing that is a little tricky is that we have to swear to the statements that are given to us in German, so they recommended we might get an official translator if our German is not up to it. I think this will be worth it to avoid any snafus.

So if all goes well, it's just a matter of when the birth certificates arrive & we can get the translations done til we can set a date!