Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Wikiposts

Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:30 am
Just Joined

SuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting a K-1 when USC is located outside the US

Actually it's not just the translation, they have special requirements too that are just really time consuming. In some ways it would be the same as applying for another visa (and one that was way worse than the one to get married in the UK) since we are not German.

Taken from http://usembassy.state.gov/germany/s...g_married.html

• Birth certificate with certified translation if certificate is not in German. An Apostille may also be required.

• Marriage certificate of parents with certified translation if document is not in German. (This certificate is not required if the birth certificate (under 1.) gives the parents' personal data and marriage date.)

• Proof of residence in Germany; not required of servicepeople. Civilians must present residence permit (stamped in passport) or show Status of Forces stamp (in passport) or evidence of exterritorial status.

• Proof of citizenship. Passport or, in case of service people, a statement of citizenship. (Military ID-card not acceptable).

• If applicable, permission to marry. Statement from commanding officer required of all servicepeople.

• Health certificate - to be presented if required under laws of American citizen's home state.

• Certificate of Free Status ("Ehefähigkeitszeugnis"). Required of all foreigners marrying in Germany. "Standesämter" generally accept an Affidavit of Free Status executed before an American Consul.

• Certificate of registration ("Anmeldenachweis") required of foreigners privately in Germany. Written statement from local resident registration office ("Einwohnermeldeamt") that the foreigner is properly registered.

• If neither the bride nor groom are German nationals and if neither has a residence in Germany, they must initially apply to one of four alien registrars' offices: Hamburg, Munich, Baden-Baden, or Standesamt I in Berlin. Upon completion of processing by that office, the civil ceremony may be performed at any Standesamt. Note that court fees can total as much as $ 600 per couple, depending on income.

• If the bride or groom has exterritorial status, a letter from employer is required, indicating place of work and status. There may be slight variations in the processing at the individual Standesämter in Germany. American citizens are therefore urged to consult the registrar at the Standesamt in the city or town where they wish to get married. They should always keep in mind that all documents submitted have to be translated into German and that the processing, in most cases, will require time.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

argh! :scared: I see what you mean. I agree that the K-1 looks more straightforward.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:47 am
Just Joined

SuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant futureSuzyBandseer has a brilliant future

Yep! We have really tried to kick this thing from all angles. I guess we still have the possibility to get married in the UK in May (can't do it before then due to time to get the me a marriage visa for the Uk & then go for the 7 days of residency + then wait out the 15 days, added to our work schedules) and then file the DCF in Germany. But then we're not filing DCF until the end of May and that doesn't seem like a time saver over going with K-1 starting now.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuzyBandseer
Yep! We have really tried to kick this thing from all angles. I guess we still have the possibility to get married in the UK in May (can't do it before then due to time to get the me a marriage visa for the Uk & then go for the 7 days of residency + then wait out the 15 days, added to our work schedules) and then file the DCF in Germany. But then we're not filing DCF until the end of May and that doesn't seem like a time saver over going with K-1 starting now.
Marry in Vegas with him on the VWP. Return to Germany & file DCF.

Just trying to think of "quickies" here.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:53 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Marry in Vegas with him on the VWP. Return to Germany & file DCF.

Just trying to think of "quickies" here.
PS.... I've always wondered if you could do the seven days' residency, get the licence, and then wait out the 15 days *outside of the UK* (eg return to work). Of course, that would mean two trips into the UK in a short time but you are allowed to enter to marry your fiance.

I have not read anything that states you must remain in *England* for the 15 days.

Scotland has different marriage laws and might be a possibility.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Are those marriages actually legal??? And doesn't that cause problems later in the immigration process coming in without a visa?
Just Joined

Yes you can do your 7 days & then go out for the 15, that's no problem, you just actually get the license when you come back after the 15.
Lapine Member

Are those marriages actually legal??? And doesn't that cause problems later in the immigration process coming in without a visa?
He would enter on the VWP -- and yeah, they are legal.

http://www.lasvegasweddings4you.com/marriagefacts1.html
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They are legal, and won't cause any problem as long as you return to Germany to obtain the immigrant visa.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look at the benefits a DCF/Immigrant Visa entrant has over a K-1, also.
I found the work and travel permissions (not to mention the expedite toward naturalization) to be very compelling. We married in Greece (USC + UKC) and had similar local laws to deal with WRT the marriage---your list didn't look all that onerous
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:51 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree that the K-1 looks more straightforward.
Don't hear THAT said very often!

~ Jenney
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:16 pm
Lapine Member

Wow. It's easier in the Netherlands! The only tricky part is getting the certificate that one is a "single person." In the Netherlands, this bit of information is recorded at The Hague (whether one is married or not) but for a foreigner who has never married, it is a chore to get. If one is divorced, one supplies the divorce decree (complete with apostille).
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

OK I will look at the DCF a bit more. I read it is up to the discretion of the consulate if they will do it if neither party is a citizen of that country (we are USC & UKC) and the marriage does not take place in that country. You may need pre-approval before the marriage & filing.

But I just called the consulate in Frankfurt and they said it doesn't matter where we get married, as long as we both return to Germany to live when we are filing, so it should be OK.

Last edited by SuzyBandseer; Feb 8th 2006 at 6:41 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:53 pm
Lapine Member

But I just called the consulate in Frankfurt and they said it doesn't matter where we get married, as long as we both return to Germany to live when we are filing, so it should be OK.
"Peter Brown called to say
Hey you can make it okay
You can get married in Gibraltar near Spain...."

(I hear that song in my head a lot while reading these threads!)
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I will look at the DCF a bit more. I read it is up to the discretion of the consulate if they will do it if neither party is a citizen of that country (we are USC & UKC) and the marriage does not take place in that country. You may need pre-approval before the marriage & filing.

Hi:

"Residence" determines jurisdiction, not "citizenshhip."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.