Reload this Page >

Getting everything ready

Getting everything ready

Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting everything ready

Hi,

We posted our i130 off in mid August and had confirmation that it was being processed.

We are now getting all the details and material we need ready for the next step/interview.

Is there a checklist of things we need to get ready available?

My wife has a job already lined up for moving back(company transfer) so hopefully that makes things a little easier.

She hasn't filed her US taxes for last year so we need to get the ball rolling on that, anyone know where to start exactly?

ANy help would be great, thanks.

AL
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting everything ready

Is this I-130 filed in the US or in the UK? The USC lives in the UK?

Please see the link from my signature for an explanation of the process, the document checklist you need and look in the wiki for a tax filing guide for London (what your wife needs, if she lives in London).
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Is this I-130 filed in the US or in the UK? The USC lives in the UK?

Please see the link from my signature for an explanation of the process, the document checklist you need and look in the wiki for a tax filing guide for London (what your wife needs, if she lives in London).
She filed here in the UK.

I'm going through the Wiki tax guide at the moment.

The bit where it says 'assumptions'. Everything is straight forward until it assumes that the spouse of the USC does not have a SSN. Well I do have one, i was on a J1 visa and obviously needed one.

Does anyone know why this would matter?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlistairL

The bit where it says 'assumptions'. Everything is straight forward until it assumes that the spouse of the USC does not have a SSN. Well I do have one, i was on a J1 visa and obviously needed one.

It doesn't matter. It only makes it a bit easier for you overall, in that you won't have to apply for another one.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And also easier for her to complete her income tax return with you as a spouse because you already have a social security number that requires listing.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlistairL

Married people have the option of filing 'Married-Joint' or 'Married-Separate'. If you want to file married-joint, it is much simpler if the foreign spouse has a SSN already.

It will depend on your earnings and whether or not there is an advantage to including them. I don't guess she will be expecting a refund, so it may be simpler to file separately.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it is also needed if you file "Married - Separate". While you don't have a spouse to claim the added deduction you still have to prove who is the spouse by listing of their ssn/