Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Old May 7th 2006, 9:50 am
Steve

Default Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

G'day

I have recently become a naturalized USC and want to sponsor my 19 y.o.
Australian daughter so she can come to America and live with me and my
USC wife. What is the best and fastest way of doing this? Do I start
proceddings from here or is DCF through Sydney the better way? I
travelled the Sydney DCF road but that was to get married and move
here.

Any help and where to find it will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old May 7th 2006, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Originally Posted by Steve
G'day

I have recently become a naturalized USC and want to sponsor my 19 y.o.
Australian daughter so she can come to America and live with me and my
USC wife. What is the best and fastest way of doing this? Do I start
proceddings from here or is DCF through Sydney the better way? I
travelled the Sydney DCF road but that was to get married and move
here.

Steve
Hi:

She is now your "immediate relative" -- except for some details, the route for her green card is the same as by marriage. She is still your "child" as she is still under 21.

To my knowledge, Sydney is still one of the few consulates that allows DCF and I see no reason why it couldn't be used for all immediate relatives [which includes your parents].
Old May 7th 2006, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I don't believe you can sponsor her as she is over 18. We were looking into this for my husbands kids that live in the UK and our Immigration Lawyer advised us that if we were going to do this it needed to be before they thurned 18. Sorry I don't have any more info or options for you, just what I was told. Maybe she could possibly get a visa to come here to go to school?
Good Luck.
Deb
Hi Deb:

The 18 year limit is in relation to creating the "step-child" relationship -- the marriage that creates the relationship must take place before the child turns 18.

Age 18 also relates to derivative naturalization.

In this case, the NATURAL father has just naturalized -- so as long as his daughter is unmarried and under 21, she is HIS child. [BTW, I am assuming that he is in the category of fathers who qualify as such under the definition of the parent/child relationship inherent in the immigration defintion of "child" -- which may be a complicating issue].
Old May 7th 2006, 5:12 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve

Steve
You asked this question (albeit under a different username) only two weeks ago.

Did you look at the links Meauxna provided you at that time? I just took a glance at them and they seem to offer a wealth of information directly related to your questions.

~ Jenney
Old May 7th 2006, 5:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
~ Jenney

Hiya Big Sister - this is spooky!!!

Are you keeping track of all of us????

Old May 7th 2006, 5:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Old May 7th 2006, 6:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hiya Big Sister - this is spooky!!!

Are you keeping track of all of us????

Not keeping track, just looking things up when they sound like déjà vu.

It seems like there are many people who start a thread to ask a question, but instead of checking back on that thread to see what responses they might have received, they simply post a NEW thread with the SAME question. For some reason this phenomenon seems to almost always happen with those posting from Usenet; not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

In this case the OP got several great links from Meauxna just two weeks ago. Between them, they probably have all the answers he's looking for. If he had actually looked at those links he would've realized that and not started this thread.

I suppose it's a bit of a pet peeve when people on here -- like Meauxna -- make the effort to provide good feedback only for it to be ignored. That's annoying.

~ Jenney
Old May 7th 2006, 6:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Not keeping track, just looking things up when they sound like déjà vu.
~ Jenney
Hey girl, don't you think you might want to lighten up just a little every now and again - it was a joke...
Old May 7th 2006, 6:42 pm
Homebody

Talking Re: Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Fullest possible use, hmmmm.... And your post implies you're a conscious entity!

I can certainly think of possible applications...
Old May 7th 2006, 6:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Fullest possible use, hmmmm.... And your post implies you're a conscious entity!

I can certainly think of possible applications...
This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Old May 7th 2006, 6:54 pm
Homebody

All right then - what sauce are you on?
Old May 7th 2006, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody brilliant!

Ian
Old May 7th 2006, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Did you look at the links Meauxna provided you at that time? I just took a glance at them and they seem to offer a wealth of information directly related to your questions.

~ Jenney
Hi Jen:

There is nothing wrong in asking a question twice. ["Measure twice, cut once"]. IMHO, this thread can now be considered "hijacked." Pity, the OP has some well taken questions.
Old May 7th 2006, 10:08 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
IMHO, this thread can now be considered "hijacked."
AFAIK, there is no limit to size of a thread. And if there is, we're certainly a long way off it. The OP will no doubt post follow-up questions if he desires.
Old May 8th 2006, 3:16 pm
I'm back!

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Jen:

There is nothing wrong in asking a question twice. ["Measure twice, cut once"]. IMHO, this thread can now be considered "hijacked." Pity, the OP has some well taken questions.
But why ask the question a second time before considering the resources given to you when you ask the first time?

The OP got some great links in his older thread where he asked these same questions before. I pointed this out to him in my response to him up above. I certainly wouldn't call that "hijacking" the thread.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.