Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

gettin married and applying for visa next day

Wikiposts

gettin married and applying for visa next day

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gettin married and applying for visa next day

Originally Posted by sanielle
Just scared that my partner and i will have to go thru some sort of bad-american-sitcom-style questioning as will be applying straight after marrying and not after 2 years or whatever.
Just a very minor note... since you won't have been married for 2-years your other half will get a conditional greencard. Not a huge deal, just means in another couple of years (minus 90 days) you need to basically prove you didn't enter into marriage just to get him a greencard. So you have to show you still live together, have a joint bank account, etc, etc.

The USCIS are obviously onto the 'getting married quick just to get a greencard' trick, and this is probably what you are worried they will think about you guys. The removal of conditions in a couple of years is basically a sanity check for that.

Good luck
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

my boyfriend and i are do to start the ball rolling asap after the wedding (hes english i'm american and live in the uk) does anyone think that immigration could get funny as we are doing it straight after marrying?? anyone else done this before (we have been together for over 4 years)
No issue here.

In case you didn't realize, it will take 6 months or more before the bf has the visa in his passport and you're ready to depart.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:40 am
Just Joined

sanielle is an unknown quantity at this point

you lot are brilliant,

don't know how i will do the tax stuff as i havent worked in the states for a couple years (been in europe for a couple years) also neither of will have jobs when we get out there, and we will be renting and then buying when we get there.

might be a long road ahead
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

you lot are brilliant,

don't know how i will do the tax stuff as i havent worked in the states for a couple years (been in europe for a couple years) also neither of will have jobs when we get out there, and we will be renting and then buying when we get there.

might be a long road ahead
I've heard that the US Embassy in London has a very good IRS Department set up for folks just like you. I've heard they are very friendly and helpful in getting USC's taxes filed from the UK. Do a search for their contact information, and have them help you.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

sanielle is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks noora i will do, guess im naieve but really didn't even know i was meant to be messing about with taxes..