Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

G-325A for AOS (F-1 to spouse)...simple? (?)

G-325A for AOS (F-1 to spouse)...simple? (?)

Old May 24th 2012, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G-325A for AOS (F-1 to spouse)...simple? (?)

Originally Posted by pbrnmd
One of the advantages of getting residency is that her tuition is cut by almost 75%.
Fair enough... but since she's already budgeted for the tuition, you're not actually paying out any extra money... all you'd be doing is not paying out as much.

... begins Fall quarter at the end of September. So with good paperwork (and a lot of luck), we "might" be able to get her residency established by the end of September.
She likely won't have her GC by September. From everything reported in the last few years, it usually takes 6 months. Four months isn't impossible... just very, very rare! ... and you're already struggling with supporting evidence! A single RFE and your timeline is totally shot.

I'm not counting on it...
Good, because it probably won't happen.

... the change in tuition costs are substantial and just for the Fall quarter we'd be paying a few thousand less.
Again, fair enough... but you can look forward to reduced fees for the next quarter anyway.

Ian
Old May 24th 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

pbrnmd is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not that big of a deal on the timing, but if we can get it in, then the International student dept will accept any internet verification to at least allow for changing status for tuition purposes.

So I do not know what the notification process is (I would think she would need the green card in hand, but the school said no, she only needs the electronic notification once it is approved). If that's even correct, it might me a difference in weeks. But I understand your doubt and will be very happily surprised if we get her AOS card or otherwise by then.

Any suggestions on attaching photos? Do folks usually just use small paperclips or staple?
Old May 24th 2012, 5:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that big of a deal on the timing, but if we can get it in, then the International student dept will accept any internet verification to at least allow for changing status for tuition purposes.

So I do not know what the notification process is (I would think she would need the green card in hand, but the school said no, she only needs the electronic notification once it is approved).
If you appear for an in-person AOS interview, there is no electronic notification of approval....the approval is usually verbal and happens at the AOS interview, then the card shows up in the mail a week or so later. Or, if there is an electronic approval, it will show up after the AOS interview.

If you are one of the lucky ones who does not get called for an in-person interview, then yes, there will probably be an electronic verification of approval....at some point.

Any suggestions on attaching photos? Do folks usually just use small paperclips or staple?
You mean the passport-style photos? We put them in a clear plastic sandwich baggie, and paper clipped the baggie to the application.

Rene
Old May 24th 2012, 5:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is the way to do it. No staples!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You mean the passport-style photos? We put them in a clear plastic sandwich baggie, and paper clipped the baggie to the application.

Rene
Old May 24th 2012, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes, this is the way to do it. No staples!

Regards, JEff

LOL...baggies and NO STAPLES...this is why I know glitches are so imaginable

Thanks for the suggestions all
Old May 24th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

One of the advantages of getting residency is that her tuition is cut by almost 75%. We're getting married tomorrow and yes I'm in a rush.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for her to establish residency for in-state tuition she must first have lived in the State for a minimum of 12 months with her primary purposes for being there, being something other than to study. This will be impossible for her to over-come since she is an international student whose only purpose in the State of Washington was to study.

http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/

Her new legal status for the "12 month" rule begins when she obtains her NOA1 hardcopy in the mail after the I-130/AOS package has been submitted.

Now, some states do allow one to pass on residency status for tuition purposes to their Spouse, but I am not sure if Washington is one of those states, this is something that you would need to research.

Visa Journey has some pretty good timelines of how long it is taking people to get their GC approval and it is averaging around 90-100 days from the day you mail off your package. You then figure another 7-14 days to receive the physical GC.

I received one RFE and my interview is on the 108th day since filing. So if you filed June 1st, you would be looking at August/September.

Last edited by Leyther; May 24th 2012 at 6:51 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leyther
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for her to establish residency for in-state tuition she must first have lived in the State for a minimum of 12 months with a primary purpose for being there not being to study. This will be impossible for her to over-come since she is an international student whose only purpose in the State of Washington was to study.

http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/

Her new legal status for the "12 month" rule begins when she obtains her NOA1 hardcopy in the mail after the I-130/AOS package has been submitted.

Visa Journey has some pretty good timelines of how long it is taking people to get their GC approval is averaging around 90-100 days from the day you mail off your package. You then figure another 7-14 days to receive the physical GC.

I received one RFE and my interview is on the 108th day since filing. So if you filed June 1st, you would be looking at September/August.
Thanks for that timeline Leyther. BTW, I've been around schools a long time and worked with the gamut of residency issues in different locales and believe me when I say that rule is not 100% across all school systems. There are in fact community colleges that will provide "in state" tuition the moment you register (as a non alien) with proof of residency.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Thanks for that timeline Leyther. BTW, I've been around schools a long time and worked with the gamut of residency issues in different locales and believe me when I say that rule is not 100% across all school systems. There are in fact community colleges that will provide "in state" tuition the moment you register (as a non alien) with proof of residency.
I am certainly no expert but I believe that residency definitions and standards for tuition purposes are set by the State and not by the individual school. I guess a school can always choose to not follow the law.

I would seriously do some research into Washington's Statute regarding this issue.