Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Form I-131 Idiot Check!

Form I-131 Idiot Check!

Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default Form I-131 Idiot Check!

Hello All,

So I am finishing the last few bits before we can file for my AOS (my husband is slacking on his I-864 but I'm hoping a beer will motivate him somewhat!!) and I really wanted to file both the I-131 so I can go home and see my beautiful new niece and my family and I had a couple of questions about some parts of the form, and well, wanted someone to idiot check me. (Yes I do have a bit of an OCD....but at least the house the clean lol!). My questions are as follows:

- So, first off, in Part 1 it asks "Class of Admission" and I put "K-1 Visa Holder" as I assume they want to know how you entered the US initially?

- in Part 2 I ticked the box that stated "I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel" as this was the obvious fit!

- for Part 3 it asks for an intended departure date. Well, as such I have not planned a specific trip home, so do I leave this blank, or should I provide a date in the near future upon which time (or after) I would like to travel? And next to it put the length of time we may spend on this trip? (We will probably visit my family as soon as I can travel and will stay no longer than a long weekend due to his work commitments.) Then it says skip to Part 7 if applying for an advance parole document (below it has some boxes to tick about where to send the document but I assume these do not apply to me)

- Part 7 begins by asking, on a seperate piece of paper, to explain how I qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant its issuance. I am assuming a letter explaining I am applying due to marriage of a USC under the terms of my K-1 visa, with a copy of it, the Marriage Certificate and the NOA2 would be sufficient? Finally, I ticked the box saying I inted to use for Multiple trips and aprat from signing it that should be everything?

I once again appreciate any help you all can offer. Most things seems pretty self explanatory although sometimes I worry the obvious is too obvious!!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form I-131 Idiot Check!

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
I put "K-1 Visa Holder" as I assume they want to know how you entered the US initially?
Yes.

I ticked the box that stated "I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel" as this was the obvious fit!
Yes.

... so do I leave this blank
Put down "unknown at this time".

And next to it put the length of time we may spend on this trip?
Yes... for example "2 weeks".

I assume these do not apply to me.
Right... skip to part 7.

... explain how I qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant its issuance.
You qualify and are warranted by virtue of your concurrently filed I-485.

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

- So, first off, in Part 1 it asks "Class of Admission" and I put "K-1 Visa Holder" as I assume they want to know how you entered the US initially?
K-1 is correct.

- in Part 2 I ticked the box that stated "I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel" as this was the obvious fit!
Correct.

- for Part 3 it asks for an intended departure date. Well, as such I have not planned a specific trip home, so do I leave this blank, or should I provide a date in the near future upon which time (or after) I would like to travel? And next to it put the length of time we may spend on this trip? (We will probably visit my family as soon as I can travel and will stay no longer than a long weekend due to his work commitments.)
They aren't fussy about what you put in here, it seems. You could put "unknown at this time", or put in some anticipated date (you don't have to stick to it). Same goes for length of stay.

Then it says skip to Part 7 if applying for an advance parole document (below it has some boxes to tick about where to send the document but I assume these do not apply to me)
Right.

- Part 7 begins by asking, on a seperate piece of paper, to explain how I qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant its issuance. I am assuming a letter explaining I am applying due to marriage of a USC under the terms of my K-1 visa, with a copy of it, the Marriage Certificate and the NOA2 would be sufficient?
Just a short statement on a separate sheet of paper, stating that you qualify for AP because you are filing an I-485 for adjustment of status (we included a photocopy of the signed I-485).

Finally, I ticked the box saying I inted to use for Multiple trips and aprat from signing it that should be everything?
Sounds like it to me!

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

- Part 7 begins by asking, on a seperate piece of paper, to explain how I qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant its issuance.
I included a photocopy of the signed I-485 with "photocopy for I-131 application" in marker written across it.

The wiki now has an AOS from K1 helpguide, I suggest you give it a really good read incase it has anything in there that can anwser some of your questions and it includes a list for each form of what you need to include or could include.

AOS from K1 helpguide
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pointer to the K1 to AOS wiki, its massively helpful. I think we have most things covered, but it will be really helpful.

The one issue we have is that at the moment, other than the wedding photos and copies of the cards we recieved, the only joint thing we will have with our names on is his benefits from work and his bank account. Will this be an issue with not having everything in both our names? We have had to wait a real long time to get our marriage certificate and so have been unable to change a lot of things? By the time the interview (if we have one) comes around we should have a lot of things in both our names.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pointer to the K1 to AOS wiki, its massively helpful. I think we have most things covered, but it will be really helpful.

The one issue we have is that at the moment, other than the wedding photos and copies of the cards we recieved, the only joint thing we will have with our names on is his benefits from work and his bank account. Will this be an issue with not having everything in both our names? We have had to wait a real long time to get our marriage certificate and so have been unable to change a lot of things? By the time the interview (if we have one) comes around we should have a lot of things in both our names.
You should be fine. You don't need to include any of that with the AOS package. All the evidence of your joint life together goes with you to the AOS interview in person, if you even have one (many don't, nowadays!).

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

aj, you can only send what you have.

I had my maiden name on bank account so sent a few statements with that and the phone bill after we called at&t to get my name put on it. Thats all i had it was fine.

I think by sending things like that with the aos application it probably helps them decide if they need to interview or not. Rather then not send it in and then need an interview.

You'll probably be fine and if they need anything else they'll let you know