Wikiposts

Flights and Visas

Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all
Default Flights and Visas

So after all the bumps, and I am sure there will be many more, Pete (my hubby to be from Wales) got his K1 Visa on the 25th! Just in time for our November wedding! So now he is looking for flights to come over. Flying into Portland, Maine isn't easy, in fact its going to be pricy but we have no choice. My question(s) are first, he is having a hard time finding a site that will allow him to buy a one way ticket, second, the sites he does find that will allow it cost more for the one way then for a round trip! It just doesn't make any sense to me with the cost of fuel. Would it be a big problem if he bought a round trip ticket? I just didn't know if this would look funny when he goes through immigration with his K1.

Second, I have heard talk of a stamp, EDA? Or something that lets you work for 90 days or so. Does he need to get this? I know he won't officially have his working papers until after the AOS is filed, but if he was looking to work for a bit, at a farm/horses and such for a month or two, can he get this stamp and will it let him work?

I did look up the EDA question to see if someone had posted but I really could't find this answer. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to thank everyone thus far for all the help and posts, even ones I don't post on I read and the responses everyone has just really makes this process so much easier.

Thanks again!

~Kate
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights and Visas

Originally Posted by kstoss9
So after all the bumps, and I am sure there will be many more, Pete (my hubby to be from Wales) got his K1 Visa on the 25th! Just in time for our November wedding! So now he is looking for flights to come over. Flying into Portland, Maine isn't easy, in fact its going to be pricy but we have no choice. My question(s) are first, he is having a hard time finding a site that will allow him to buy a one way ticket, second, the sites he does find that will allow it cost more for the one way then for a round trip! It just doesn't make any sense to me with the cost of fuel. Would it be a big problem if he bought a round trip ticket? I just didn't know if this would look funny when he goes through immigration with his K1.

Second, I have heard talk of a stamp, EDA? Or something that lets you work for 90 days or so. Does he need to get this? I know he won't officially have his working papers until after the AOS is filed, but if he was looking to work for a bit, at a farm/horses and such for a month or two, can he get this stamp and will it let him work?

I did look up the EDA question to see if someone had posted but I really could't find this answer. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to thank everyone thus far for all the help and posts, even ones I don't post on I read and the responses everyone has just really makes this process so much easier.

Thanks again!

~Kate
Return ticket is fine.

Only JFK gives the employment stamp.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again!

~Kate
Hi:

It is a common practice for people to buy a round trip ticket and then not use the return half. BTW, do not do this for a middle portion of a flight -- you will lose the last part you want to take this.

And the web sites DO allow for "multi-city" and "one-way" ticketing -- its just that they default to round trip.

BTW, I understand that JFK puts an EAD on the admission stamp or I-94. I can't vouch for it but people here have mentioned it.

Also, in my upcoming travel plans, I found out that EWR has an Amtrak station in the airport.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO, its not *weird* at all to have a round-trip ticket. Naturally your Welsh husband will want to go back to the UK at some point, at least for a visit! My Welsh husband is planning to get a flexible round-trip so that he book the journey back to the UK when he wants to go back for a visit. Flexibile tickets are often about $200 more than non-flexible and normally have to be used within a year (you often have to order them over the phone).

I suppose, at some point you and your husband (and me and mine) will want to be able to book roundtrips (to and from the UK) from the same country of origin but that is a whole other story!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:15 am
Barmy Harmy

Harm is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot answer the 2nd part of your question, as I came over on a different Visa.

But in terms of flights, it may be better to fly to the likes of JFK (if a return flight is cheaper, get one which has a return date in a very quiet holiday period even a year in advance to make it as cheap as possible), then get something like a JetBlue flight up north. Or come into Boston and get a cheap hirecar - It isn't that far up north just a few hrs drive up. Airlines are bizarre in terms of one way tickets, and they are dearer than returns (I guess with returns they at least have their flights filled up on most journeys). Having a return ticket wouldn't be a problem. You can just tell the immigration lot that it was cheaper and especially with the credit crunch etc.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

BTW, I understand that JFK puts an EAD on the admission stamp or I-94. I can't vouch for it but people here have mentioned it.
My Keith got the stamp at JFK this past March. He did not have to ask for it, they did it automatically (although he did double-check it was there).
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Flying into Portland, Maine isn't easy, in fact its going to be pricy but we have no choice.
~Kate
Hello Kate. First - good luck with the wedding. Second - you do have a less-expensive choice, you know. Fly into Boston, Logan and take the 'bus up to Portland, ME. This was the route my girlfriend (now wife!) took to travel to central Maine. Very cost-effective.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Hello Kate. First - good luck with the wedding. Second - you do have a less-expensive choice, you know. Fly into Boston, Logan and take the 'bus up to Portland, ME. This was the route my girlfriend (now wife!) took to travel to central Maine. Very cost-effective.
There are lots of options. Our lovely travel agent on the board found a good deal for us - that included getting the POE stamp at JFK.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I second the bus from Boston suggestion, it takes about 1.5 hrs and is I think $26, I took the trip in reverse a couple of weeks ago when my flight out of Portland was cancelled.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons why your search here failed is because you have the name incorrect.

It is EAD not EDA = Employment Authorization Document.

Don't forget he needs to apply for the all important social security number when he arrives as well.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:14 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It just doesn't make any sense to me
http://baetzler.de/humor/airline_paint.html
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Brilliant!

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2008, 6:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee is flying into JFK from Edinburgh on a roundtrip ticket on a K1 visa in September. It was $600 cheaper than a one way! He'll just cancel the return flight after he gets here. I was worried about buying a round trip as well but apparently it's ok.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all

Great thanks so much everyone I feel a bit better! I will send on all of these suggestions to Peter so he can figure out which will be the most reasonable!

Thanks again!

~Kate
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:32 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Great thanks so much everyone I feel a bit better! I will send on all of these suggestions to Peter so he can figure out which will be the most reasonable!

Thanks again!

~Kate
Hi Katedid you buy a round trip or one way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.