Finding the right Lawyer?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:43 am
C_H
Just Joined

C_H will become famous soon enoughC_H will become famous soon enough
Default Finding the right Lawyer?

Hi guys,

Firstly id like to thank everyone here for your help

I was wondering if any of you had a lawyer help you with the process i live in PA and am looking to get a lawyer to represent us i have done many searches and i'm scared that they aren't legitimate lawyers, lets face it there are too many scammers about now, if anyone is in PA and can refer me to an immigration lawyer it would be greatly appreciated. or can tell me personal experiences with finding lawyers

thank you again for your help

sorry if there is an existing thread on this
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding the right Lawyer?

Originally Posted by C_H
I was wondering if any of you had a lawyer help you with the process...
Which process?

Ian
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:53 am
C_H
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Which process?

Ian
Ian Hi,

yesterday i started a thread because i was trying to find out what i needed to do next with regards to applying for AOS after getting married i have a very messy situation with a lot of complications, so these Guys here advised that i should get a immigration lawyer to help with all of the relevant paperwork, as i am an overstay (2.5yrs) please feel free to read (crunch time then theres paperwork) for my situation .... i am very scared about everything and every possible consequence

thank you for reading
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C_H
Hi guys,

Firstly id like to thank everyone here for your help

I was wondering if any of you had a lawyer help you with the process i live in PA and am looking to get a lawyer to represent us i have done many searches and i'm scared that they aren't legitimate lawyers, lets face it there are too many scammers about now, if anyone is in PA and can refer me to an immigration lawyer it would be greatly appreciated. or can tell me personal experiences with finding lawyers

thank you again for your help

sorry if there is an existing thread on this
The lawyer doesn't have to be in PA. Immigration law is Federal, so any lawyer can take on the case. I personally like the face-to-face method, though.

Try looking here to start making some calls: www.ailalawyer.com

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:49 am
C_H
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The lawyer doesn't have to be in PA. Immigration law is Federal, so any lawyer can take on the case. I personally like the face-to-face method, though.

Try looking here to start making some calls: www.ailalawyer.com

Rene
Thank you so much
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Pennsylvania are you? It can make a difference. Most marriage cases are eventually interviewed and PA is a big state.

No guarantee of quality, but most lawyers who practice immigration law are members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association [AILA]. AILA membership is somewhat pricy as these things go, so membership is an indication of more than a passing interest in the area of law.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:08 am
C_H
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Where in Pennsylvania are you? It can make a difference. Most marriage cases are eventually interviewed and PA is a big state.

No guarantee of quality, but most lawyers who practice immigration law are members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association [AILA]. AILA membership is somewhat pricy as these things go, so membership is an indication of more than a passing interest in the area of law.
hey,
were near Scranton ... far northeast PA, thank you for your reply
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Lackawana County is in the jurisdiction of the USCIS office in Philadelphia. There are a fair number of AILA members in Philly and Camden.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:58 am
C_H
Just Joined

Lackawana County is in the jurisdiction of the USCIS office in Philadelphia. There are a fair number of AILA members in Philly and Camden.
Thank you so much ... i found a few near where i am too that are members of the AILA .... thank you so much i would never had known to look for the AILA

.... ohh and now i wait and see what they say ill keep you guys informed i'm sure ill have more questions

thanks again
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:05 am
C_H
Just Joined

OK soooooooo ...... little update

i find what looked like a decent Lawyer who is part of the AILA,
i call and speak to him and when i told him my situation, he told me the fees and then said but i don't know if i can help you!!! i was like ummmm why?? your an immigration lawyer right?? he said yes but he didn't know if he could help me due to being on overstay of the VWP.. and that it would take him to research it ?? so now i'm wondering has he ever done immigration case's or he just doesn't know what hes doing i'm sooooo frustrated

sorry for the rant i just had to get that off of my chest

i have emailed a ton of other lawyers hopefully one of them will be a bit more reassuring in knowing how he/she can help
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by C_H
OK soooooooo ...... little update

i find what looked like a decent Lawyer who is part of the AILA,
i call and speak to him and when i told him my situation, he told me the fees and then said but i don't know if i can help you!!! i was like ummmm why?? your an immigration lawyer right?? he said yes but he didn't know if he could help me due to being on overstay of the VWP.. and that it would take him to research it ?? so now i'm wondering has he ever done immigration case's or he just doesn't know what hes doing i'm sooooo frustrated

sorry for the rant i just had to get that off of my chest

i have emailed a ton of other lawyers hopefully one of them will be a bit more reassuring in knowing how he/she can help
<sigh>. There are immigration cases other than marriage adjustment off of a VWP admission. That attorney gave you a good honest answer -- he doesn't know and will have to research it.

When I was in practice, I did not do all that many marriage cases and those that I did were usually from non-VWP countries. Recently I assisted an attorney who was hired after the client was arrested out of the adjustment interview. And the head of examinations of the CIS office involved used to work here in L.A. The head of the immigration assistance clinic where I do volunteer work mentioned "this sounds like something that Mr. X would do."

BTW, some immigration lawyers charge a nominal fee for a consultation and it may be money well spent.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:37 am
C_H
Just Joined

<sigh>. There are immigration cases other than marriage adjustment off of a VWP admission. That attorney gave you a good honest answer -- he doesn't know and will have to research it.

When I was in practice, I did not do all that many marriage cases and those that I did were usually from non-VWP countries. Recently I assisted an attorney who was hired after the client was arrested out of the adjustment interview. And the head of examinations of the CIS office involved used to work here in L.A. The head of the immigration assistance clinic where I do volunteer work mentioned "this sounds like something that Mr. X would do."

BTW, some immigration lawyers charge a nominal fee for a consultation and it may be money well spent.
Thank you so much for your reply....

I do understand that there are many different cases etc i'm feeling extremely frustrated.... mostly my own fault i know but i needed to vent, i know its a honest answer and to be honest i was grateful he informed me first before me being like GREAT YOUR HIRED!.... you don't, what ... ohhh! now you tell me after i payed 1000 bucks, haha (i have a strange sense of humor all a sudden)

I have been so scared about this and so stressed over everything this is the first time i have admitted that i need help and opened up even in the fear that i am potentially going to lose my family and everyone i care about
hopefully ill hear something back soon and make my decision on who gets lumbered with my messy situation

thank you again
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration law involves a lot of things other than adjustment of status when overstay of a VWP entry is involved - maybe this attorney hasn't done one of those. Or, maybe he hasn't done one recently and is aware that there are current issues but not what is happening in that regard in the PA District and Sub offices.

Hey, he was straight with you.

Regards, JEff
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:08 am
C_H
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Immigration law involves a lot of things other than adjustment of status when overstay of a VWP entry is involved - maybe this attorney hasn't done one of those. Or, maybe he hasn't done one recently and is aware that there are current issues but not what is happening in that regard in the PA District and Sub offices.

Hey, he was straight with you.

Regards, JEff
That he was and thank you,

I just got into the mindset that well HEY hes an immigration attorney he SHOULD KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!! i should be a little more understanding of that. there are many different cases many different avenues etc and maybe i need more personal research into it myself all tho i think my head is going to explode

i guess i was just annoyed that i couldn't get the answer then and there.
Need to be a little more patient huh

thank you again guys
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C_H
That he was and thank you,

I just got into the mindset that well HEY hes an immigration attorney he SHOULD KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!! i should be a little more understanding of that. there are many different cases many different avenues etc and maybe i need more personal research into it myself all tho i think my head is going to explode

i guess i was just annoyed that i couldn't get the answer then and there.
Need to be a little more patient huh

thank you again guys
Hang in there. You'll probably find someone to take your case. There are lawyers, then there are immigration lawyers, then there are immigration lawyers who specialize in certain types of immigration, such as marriage-based, employment-based, etc. Even one who specializes in marriage-based cases might have only done consular processing cases (receiving a visa overseas first, then immigrating), he might not have done an adjustment of status case.

The fact that adjustment of status from an overstay is fraught with its own problems only adds to that lawyer needing knowledge and maybe experience in that specific area. If he hasn't done a case like that, he will need to do some research on it first before accepting the case.

I'm impressed that he was so honest with you, that's a good sign.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.