Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally - An N-400 question

Finally - An N-400 question

Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Finally - An N-400 question

Originally posted by Ranjini
I don't believe any "disproportionate amount of trepidition" has been created here. I personally found this thread very enlightning in the light of what Jim's adjudicator told him at his interview, and now I understand better why they require this information.
Trepidation is something one feels. I am glad that you did not feel a disproportionate amount of trepidation. You assessed the information objectively and responded appropriately, by declaring your information and not - I hope - losing any sleep over it.

Others have, I think, been unduly worried, because going through this process is nervewracking. When they see "traffic violations" and "considered serious and a breach of good moral conduct" in the same sentence, alarm bells start ringing, which are hard to switch off once they've started.

I am glad Rete posted her experiences on traffic tickets. "I am not dismissing them as irrelevant, I am suggesting that there should not be a disproportionate amount of trepidation about it."
Old Jan 31st 2004, 12:59 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I am glad Rete posted her experiences on traffic tickets. I am not dismissing them as irrelevant, I am suggesting that there should not be a disproportionate amount of trepidation about it."
To be quite truthful, there need be no disproportionate trepidation about the entire process unless one has a criminal record or a serious medical condition to begin with. Thereafter, just follow the instructions and prepare your paper work carefully and you will have absolutely no problem. I speak from our own personal experience. Just delays and more delays....
If you can keep this sensible approach and a level head on your shoulders I think you should be just fine.
Good luck and my best wishes,
Ranjini
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:08 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have this to worry about for some while but I can't see how anyone who has even visited the UK, let alone lived there could be honest about the question "Have you EVER committed a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested?" as there are still many laws which have not been repealed and make just existing, technically a crime. For instance, to name but one (which has always been my favorite) within my lifetime, it has been a law that each surf (common man) should practice weekly on the village green with his bow in defense of his lord or sherif. Whilst this was needed in the middle ages, if you were to obey this law in modern times you would have been guilty of using an offensive weapon in a public place; no-win! I think that this law was repealed in the mid 80's but as such I am guilty of breaking that one each week for years during my early adulthood. I'm sure that every country has it's share of such laws. Should these be included? Where is the border between truth and pedantism when it come to swearing that the information on the application is true and correct? There is no room in this for what you understand to be correct or believe to be correct, this is asking you to attest to it being correct: absolute!

Mark
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:16 pm

I don't have this to worry about for some while but I can't see how anyone who has even visited the UK, let alone lived there could be honest about the question "Have you EVER committed a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested?" as there are still many laws which have not been repealed and make just existing, technically a crime. For instance, to name but one (which has always been my favorite) within my lifetime, it has been a law that each surf (common man) should practice weekly on the village green with his bow in defense of his lord or sherif. Whilst this was needed in the middle ages, if you were to obey this law in modern times you would have been guilty of using an offensive weapon in a public place; no-win! I think that this law was repealed in the mid 80's but as such I am guilty of breaking that one each week for years during my early adulthood. I'm sure that every country has it's share of such laws. Should these be included? Where is the border between truth and pedantism when it come to swearing that the information on the application is true and correct? There is no room in this for what you understand to be correct or believe to be correct, this is asking you to attest to it being correct: absolute!

Mark
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by mstracy

Mark
You're right of course. When I showed it to a friend of mine, and told him I was having to dredge up my old speeding tickets, he said to me: "speeding tickets? That's the least of it!" To truly answer the question, of course, would require hundreds upon hundreds of pages. Every time you snuck through that amber light and didn't get caught, every time you went over the speed limit, or jaywalked, or dropped a cigarette butt on the floor...

It is one of those silly questions that I suspect is asked only so that you may be beaten over the head with it should USCIS feel the need to in the future.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 12:16 am

It's not just the laws you know you've broken, but also in reality asks you to give details of the laws you've broken that you don't even know exist!

I don't mind having to describe anything I know about even if it does go into hundreds of pages, I have great difficulty with being asked to give details of something I don't know about and then swear it's all perfectly correct!

Mark
Old Feb 1st 2004, 5:53 am
Mrraveltay

sarina wrote:

> oh my god... i m almost getting ready to apply for N-400 less than
    > 60days left(with the will of god).. after 3 consultation from three
    > different lawyers..

Why 3 lawyers?

and knowing 3 personal freinds(in the last 2 yrs)
    > who have gotten their citizenships(with tickets whom did not disclose)..
    > i do not plan on disclosing my two traffic violations( given in june03
    > and one in jan04)... I will tell you all how it goes.. I think a big
    > deal is being made of nothing.... everyone that i know has had traffic
    > tickets... now if u had warrant issued or something for not showing up
    > or paying the ticket on time.. that may be a different story.. and why
    > does it not include traffic or moving violation in the "guide to
    > naturalization" when it gives example of morals--

No, but you are required to list if you have been fined on the
application. Reporting of offenses is not restricted to only reporting
those of moral turpitude.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sarina
now if u had warrant issued or something for not showing up or paying the ticket on time.. that may be a different story..

Your logical is illogical

Rete
Old Feb 1st 2004, 11:23 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sarina
i do not plan on disclosing my two traffic violations( given in june03 and one in jan04)
What you do or don't do is entirely your concern. I personally think you should pay closer attention to what the adjudicator told Rete's husband at his interview.

... I will tell you all how it goes.. I think a big deal is being made of nothing.... everyone that i know has had traffic tickets... now if u had warrant issued or something for not showing up or paying the ticket on time.. that may be a different story.. and why does it not include traffic or moving violation in the "guide to naturalization" when it gives example of morals
Let's see what the N-400 says:

"Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including INS and Military officers) for any reason?

It does not specifically mention traffic violations. But it is significant that the form just before this revised one did say something like "exlcuding traffic violations" but the current form does not.

-- if it does come up.. i m going have a copy with me and will say that i followed this guide as i was told to follow.. I M NOT GOING TO LET IT BOTHER ME ANYMORE AND LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF GOD.. Wish me luck and GOOD LUCK to eveyone else going through this...
It may help that you have decided to take a copy with you. Because the adjudicator does go through the entire form with you. At least ours did.

Also remember what the Natz guide says.
"The “Application for Naturalization� (Form N-400) asks several question about crimes. You should report all crimes committed you have committed including the ones that have been expunged (removed from your record) and ones that happened before your 18th birthday. If you do not tell INS about these crimes and we find out about them, you may be denied naturalization (even if the crime itself was not a crime for which your case could be denied.)"

Personally, I don't see why you are making such a big deal about a couple of speeding tickets. I would save myself the trouble and just include them. But again, what you do is entirely upto you Just my two cents.
Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Waterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rete
We northerns say that southerns treat turn signal levers like mattress tags ... they don't remove them but think they are useless ;-)

Hey Water ... when I go down in a month or so to visit my daughter I will be landing in New Orleans and going to Biloxi ... perhaps we can met up for coffee (as long as it is NOT starbucks).

Rita
Hi Rita,

This would be my great pleasure. Please let me know when you are in the area, I'll be more than happy to have a cup with you...how about Cafe Du Monde?