Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally - An N-400 question

Wikiposts

Finally - An N-400 question

Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice
Default Re: Finally - An N-400 question

Originally posted by Cdnchick
Thats just downright scary about 3 or more violations!! As my father so
eloquently put it at my wedding - I have a birth defect - my right foot is
about 20 lbs heavier than my left foot!!! I've been fortunate enough to
not have had any speeding tickets for a long time - guess I'll have to keep
my nose clean for awhile!!
LOL! I have a reputation in the office for arriving before I've left!!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

suiram is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Hi Andy,
The language you quote appears in Part 10-D-16 on the N-400 form. If you think "that" is broad language, look at Part 10-D-15 where it requires one to indicate whether one has committed any crime or offense for which one was NOT (their capitalization, not mine) arrested.
I was +afraid+ to bring that up

So, to prove good moral character one would have to disclose (Number of Car Drives a Day)*(driving days) speeding violations? How about cutting someone off, making a rolling-texas stop, etc.?

Oh my! All licensed car driving non-USC should be deported NOW!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:56 am
Cdnchick

Now THATS funny!

;-)

"anyone4tea" <member17549@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Originally posted by Cdnchick
> > Thats just downright
> scary about 3 or more violations!! As my father so
> > eloquently put it
> at my wedding - I have a birth defect - my right foot is
> > about 20 lbs
> heavier than my left foot!!! I've been fortunate enough to
> > not have
> had any speeding tickets for a long time - guess I'll have to keep
> > my
> nose clean for awhile!!
> >
> >
> LOL! I have a reputation in the
> office for arriving before I've left!!
>
>
> --
> Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:45 am
Andy Platt

"suiram" <member11657@british_expats.com> wrote in message
    > Originally posted by Matthew Udall
    > > Hi Andy,
    > > The
    > language you quote appears in Part 10-D-16 on the N-400 form. If you
    > think "that" is broad language, look at Part 10-D-15 where it requires
    > one to indicate whether one has committed any crime or offense for which
    > one was NOT (their capitalization, not mine) arrested.
    > I was
    > +afraid+ to bring that up
    > So, to prove good moral character one
    > would have to disclose (Number of Car Drives a Day)*(driving days)
    > speeding violations? How about cutting someone off, making a rolling-
    > texas stop, etc.?

Yes, I have a couple of problems with those statements myself. You expressed
one of them. Another one is that until you have been tried in a court of law
and proved guilty or not guilty, you can only be accused of committing a
crime, not of actually committing it. I have previously termed this the
idiot question because only an idiot could write it and expect a realistic
answer. Note, I'm not suggesting you lie, I'm just suggesting that the
question is too ambiguous to be answerable.

> Oh my! All licensed car driving non-USC should be
    > deported NOW!

I think I would settle for all Maryland drivers ... ducks for cover ...

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination

Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:07 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suiram
How about cutting someone off, making a rolling-texas stop, etc.?
How about practicing law without a license in news groups on the net (and unlike the rolling-texas stop, the evidence of "that" activity is archived for all to see)?

Like Andy, I too am now ducking for cover :-). No replies necessary, that horse has long since been beaten to death!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by Rete
Actually it is not underinformed speculation nor is it one-off experiences. You are relatively new to the newsgroup and I'm sure have not read many N-400 experience writeups nor have visited the N-400 experience page. If you have and did, you will see that this has occurred to just about every newsgroup poster who has applied for naturalization.
I suggested that to be scared was unecessary. A person will not be denied naturalization for properly declaring and documenting their speeding tickets. I would welcome any evidence or experience to the contrary.

People working their way through the immigration process are under a great deal of anxiety as it is. Implications that they are about to be refused naturalization because they have a few speeding tickets are completely unecessary.

I have read a good deal on N-400 experiences and yes, traffic infractions must be documented and are sometimes (although certainly not always) addressed by the interviewer at the interview. But I have yet to hear anyone say they were even close to having an application denied because of them.

I am not dismissing them as irrelevant, I am suggesting that there should not be a disproportionate amount of trepidation about it.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Waterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant futureWaterpony has a brilliant future

I think I would settle for all Maryland drivers ... ducks for cover ...

Andy.
Trust me Andy, (since I lived in VA close to MD border and drove there a lot), they are no match to 'friendly' (when it comes to driving) folks here in New Orleans - struggle for life. And also, blinkers have no meaning in Louisiana.
Now I'll duck for cover myself...
Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
How about practicing law without a license in news groups on the net (and unlike the rolling-texas stop, the evidence of "that" activity is archived for all to see)?

Like Andy, I too am now ducking for cover :-). No replies necessary, that horse has long since been beaten to death!
Why are you ducking for cover? Is somebody trying to take away your right to free speech?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:25 am
Mrraveltay

Matthew Udall wrote:

> Sure. IÂ’ll bet people
    > sometimes get cited for spitting on the sidewalk too if that is a crime
    > in the place it occurred. Heck, I once was pulled over and received a
    > ticket (while in San Francisco) for riding my unicycle on the sidewalk.
    > I was guilty, so I paid the fine without trying to fight it. For safety
    > reasons, I still ride my unicycle on the sidewalk (donÂ’t want to get
    > hit by an auto) so I guess itÂ’s a good thing I donÂ’t ever have to
    > apply for naturalization!

Does the Bar Association know??

Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:32 am
Mrraveltay

suiram wrote:

> Originally posted by Matthew Udall
    >
    >>Hi Andy,
    >>The
    >
    > language you quote appears in Part 10-D-16 on the N-400 form. If you
    > think "that" is broad language, look at Part 10-D-15 where it requires
    > one to indicate whether one has committed any crime or offense for which
    > one was NOT (their capitalization, not mine) arrested.
    > I was
    > +afraid+ to bring that up
    >
    > So, to prove good moral character one
    > would have to disclose (Number of Car Drives a Day)*(driving days)
    > speeding violations? How about cutting someone off, making a rolling-
    > texas stop, etc.?
    >

When I was younger and living in the Midwest, we called them Hollywood
Stops.... Funny thing, I was pulled over in Hollywood about 15 years ago
for doing that, and the cop who pulled me over glanced at my Texas
license and said "We don't drive like that here"...

Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Waterpony
Trust me Andy, (since I lived in VA close to MD border and drove there a lot), they are no match to 'friendly' (when it comes to driving) folks here in New Orleans - struggle for life. And also, blinkers have no meaning in Louisiana.
Now I'll duck for cover myself...

We northerns say that southerns treat turn signal levers like mattress tags ... they don't remove them but think they are useless ;-)

Hey Water ... when I go down in a month or so to visit my daughter I will be landing in New Orleans and going to Biloxi ... perhaps we can met up for coffee (as long as it is NOT starbucks).

Rita
Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:23 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mrraveltay
Matthew Udall wrote:

> Sure. IÂ’ll bet people
    > sometimes get cited for spitting on the sidewalk too if that is a crime
    > in the place it occurred. Heck, I once was pulled over and received a
    > ticket (while in San Francisco) for riding my unicycle on the sidewalk.
    > I was guilty, so I paid the fine without trying to fight it. For safety
    > reasons, I still ride my unicycle on the sidewalk (donÂ’t want to get
    > hit by an auto) so I guess itÂ’s a good thing I donÂ’t ever have to
    > apply for naturalization!

Does the Bar Association know??
Question (and sorry if this is a hijacking). I see the apostrophe marks I originally posted have now turned into weird characters in the quoted part of your reply (I assume you pasted my reply into your word processor which made this change).

Occasionally I’m told of this same problem by some who receive e-mail from me (have mentioned that my apostrophe marks don’t come through and instead are replaced by unusual characters).

What causes this? Is it due to my use of Times New Roman as my font, or is it something other than that (I usually compose my postings on Microsoft Word if that makes a difference)?

Thanks.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 30th 2004 at 10:28 am.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:57 am
Paul Gani

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Oh my! All licensed car driving non-USC should be
    > > deported NOW!
    > I think I would settle for all Maryland drivers ... ducks for cover ...

Run into my wife, did ya? :-)

Paulgani

Old Jan 31st 2004, 3:17 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I suggested that to be scared was unecessary. A person will not be denied naturalization for properly declaring and documenting their speeding tickets. I would welcome any evidence or experience to the contrary.

People working their way through the immigration process are under a great deal of anxiety as it is. Implications that they are about to be refused naturalization because they have a few speeding tickets are completely unecessary.

I have read a good deal on N-400 experiences and yes, traffic infractions must be documented and are sometimes (although certainly not always) addressed by the interviewer at the interview. But I have yet to hear anyone say they were even close to having an application denied because of them.

I am not dismissing them as irrelevant, I am suggesting that there should not be a disproportionate amount of trepidation about it.
I don't believe any "disproportionate amount of trepidition" has been created here. I personally found this thread very enlightning in the light of what Jim's adjudicator told him at his interview, and now I understand better why they require this information.
At the time I was making out my application this was a recent requirement, and I (and several other posters) were somewhat puzzled by it. In fact it was discussed at some length and I decided to include my driving record which disclosed the nature of my only minor traffic violation.
Rita states,
"He (Jim) was told that all traffic violations are considered "crimes" and having three or more is considered serious and a breach of good moral conduct. It is up to the supervisor to sign off on the charges after the
interview".
What is important here is that the supervisor is required to sign it off which should indicate something to you. How much importance you attach to it, is entirely up to you, IMHO.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

sarina is an unknown quantity at this point

oh my god... i m almost getting ready to apply for N-400 less than 60days left(with the will of god).. after 3 consultation from three different lawyers.. and knowing 3 personal freinds(in the last 2 yrs) who have gotten their citizenships(with tickets whom did not disclose).. i do not plan on disclosing my two traffic violations( given in june03 and one in jan04)... I will tell you all how it goes.. I think a big deal is being made of nothing.... everyone that i know has had traffic tickets... now if u had warrant issued or something for not showing up or paying the ticket on time.. that may be a different story.. and why does it not include traffic or moving violation in the "guide to naturalization" when it gives example of morals-- if it does come up.. i m going have a copy with me and will say that i followed this guide as i was told to follow.. I M NOT GOING TO LET IT BOTHER ME ANYMORE AND LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF GOD.. Wish me luck and GOOD LUCK to eveyone else going through this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.