Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally made it to my wife!

Finally made it to my wife!

Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of
Default Finally made it to my wife!

Hey guys,

After 16 months of toil, My visa has been issued, and I'm living with my Wife in California!

I'm now awaiting the arrival of my Permanent resident card and my Social security number, which should be here within the next week (it's been two weeks since I arrived). I'm curious to see whether my card will state CR1 or IR1, as despite the fact my wife and I had celebrated our two year wedding anniversary at time of entry, the immigrations officer stamped my passport with CR1. I figured that if when my card arrives it states CR1, that I would make an infopass appointment, as we're still within the ninety day period after our two year anniversary.

So all in all, thanks to everyone who has assisted my wife and I over the past two years. Your knowledge and emotional support has been immense to us.

If anyone wants a summary of our timeline throughout the process, let me know, and I would be glad to assist.

Now excuse me whilst I check the mail for my social security number....

C_B

Last edited by California_Bound; Aug 10th 2007 at 8:24 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally made it to my wife!

Hurrah!!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Hey guys,

After 16 months of toil, My visa has been issued, and I'm living with my Wife in California!
Yay C_B, Welcome to America!

Now, give your Green Card and SS card at least 4 weeks before you raise the alarm. You can be employed without either of them if you have a pressing offer.

Did you bring the CR/IR thing up to the officer at the POE? If not, s/he would have no way to know that you'd been married for the +2 years at that point.

It may be an easy fix, and it may not be.

Welcome Home!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was the date the Visa was issued that determines CR-1 or IR-1, not date of entry.

In any case, congrats!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I thought it was the date the Visa was issued that determines CR-1 or IR-1, not date of entry.

In any case, congrats!
In a way, you're right. If the visa is issued prior to 2 years of marriage, you get a CR-1 visa. But if you wait and enter the USA after 2 years of marriage, you can point that out to the POE officer, and he should stamp it IR-1 and you should receive the 10-year green card.

Whether you receive the 2-year or 10-year card is determined by the date you become a PR....which, with an Immigrant Visa, is the date you enter the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

I remember my first day in the States like it was yesterday! Welcome and enjoy! The saga is not over yet...
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, and welcome to the USA

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Hey guys,

I'm now awaiting the arrival of my Permanent resident card and my Social security number, which should be here within the next week (it's been two weeks since I arrived). I'm curious to see whether my card will state CR1 or IR1, as despite the fact my wife and I had celebrated our two year wedding anniversary at time of entry, the immigrations officer stamped my passport with CR1. I figured that if when my card arrives it states CR1, that I would make an infopass appointment, as we're still within the ninety day period after our two year anniversary.

So all in all, thanks to everyone who has assisted my wife and I over the past two years. Your knowledge and emotional support has been immense to us.

If anyone wants a summary of our timeline throughout the process, let me know, and I would be glad to assist.

Now excuse me whilst I check the mail for my social security number....

C_B
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Congratulations!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:16 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Congratulations!

Would love to see the timeline if you happen to have it handy...