Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally, back on track in Ankara!

Finally, back on track in Ankara!

Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:22 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, back on track in Ankara!

Originally posted by Noorah101
Here's the kicker...Iran doesn't use credit cards....however, one can get "credit coupons" from the government to use in various stores instead of cash. This requires putting something up for collateral. Guess what they take as collateral?? Birth certificates! Sadegh's father had all 7 children's birth certificates in his possession, and had put them up as collateral (I'm sure at the time he did it, he never thought any of his children would be immigrating and needing that document anytime soon!). I have no idea how long ago this happened, or exactly what it took to get the original back, but it's done now and I'm relieved!! The thing you learn in this process are just amazing!!
No kidding. Learn something new every day!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:27 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

It's been a long 2 months, but Sadegh is finally back in Istanbul. He went to the police station first thing this morning to find out if his police certificate is ready. According to my calculations, it should have been ready Jan. 15th. I hope they saved it for him while he was gone, and didn't just toss it! I'll find out later today.

Now I can Fed Ex P3 to Sadegh, who will then turn around and UPS it to the consulate in Ankara, who will then issue an interview date! Finally!

Here's what's in our Packet 3. Please note there is more in this P3 than in many others. This is specifically according to Ankara's requirements. Everything is a photocopy, with originals to be provided at the interview.

Cover Letter
Information Sheet (provided by Ankara)
Beneficiary and Petitioner's Passports
DS-230, Part 1, signed
DS-156, in duplicate, unsigned
DS-157
Iranian Non-Immigrant Visa Supplementary Form (special form required for all Iranians)
DS-156K, unsigned
Beneficiary's Birth Certificate and Translation
Police Certficate Letter (stating its absence - to be provided at interview)
Evidence of Engagement/Relationship (photos, congratulatory cards, phone bills)
I-134, signed and notarized, and the following support documents:
Bank Letter
Bank Statements
Employment Letter
Most recent pay stub
3 years tax returns

The stack of papers is exactly 1/2" thick. Pertinent information is stapled together (per Ankara's request), and the whole stack is held together with a big binder clip. On the right hand edge of each section, I put a sticky label so each item can be easily found within the stack. I have more evidence and backup info, but I figure this is enough to satisfy them into giving an interview date, and we can present the rest at the interview if they ask for it.

I can't believe we're moving along again!! Wow!!

Will keep you all posted on the results!
Best Wishes,
Rene

Oh my gosh Rene!!!
That is awesome!! WOOO I am so freaking happy (Excuse my language, I am just happy!!)
Things are finally moving again!!!
I know this isn't an approval or visa in hand.. but I have been waiting so long for an update! Yipe Yipe!!
WOOOO!!! You go girl!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steffi,
Yes, it was the hassle of getting Sadegh's original birth certificate. We were waiting about 6 weeks for his brother to bring it over from Iran, and he never showed. So Sadegh had to go back to Iran himself to get it. While there, he got stuck in some family business and ended up staying 2 months!

Here's the kicker...Iran doesn't use credit cards....however, one can get "credit coupons" from the government to use in various stores instead of cash. This requires putting something up for collateral. Guess what they take as collateral?? Birth certificates! Sadegh's father had all 7 children's birth certificates in his possession, and had put them up as collateral (I'm sure at the time he did it, he never thought any of his children would be immigrating and needing that document anytime soon!). I have no idea how long ago this happened, or exactly what it took to get the original back, but it's done now and I'm relieved!! The thing you learn in this process are just amazing!!

Thanks for the good wishes!
Rene
Amazing!!! But the good thing is that now you guys have his birth certificate!!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:30 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steffi,
Yes, it was the hassle of getting Sadegh's original birth certificate. We were waiting about 6 weeks for his brother to bring it over from Iran, and he never showed. So Sadegh had to go back to Iran himself to get it. While there, he got stuck in some family business and ended up staying 2 months!

Thanks for the good wishes!
Rene

Birth certificates as Credit coupons?, That is odd!!
I know one more new thing Thanks for sharing!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:49 pm
Jerry Liu

Congratulations, Rene! I'm very happy for you that the process is taking a
big step forward!

Your P3 looks a lot more complicated than the ones for China. All these
supporting documents were only needed at the interview, and in our case they
didn't even look at any of them.

Good luck on getting an interview date soon!

Jerry

"Noorah101" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    > It's been a long 2 months, but Sadegh is finally back in
    > Istanbul. He went to the police station first thing this morning to
    > find out if his police certificate is ready. According to my
    > calculations, it should have been ready Jan. 15th. I hope they saved it
    > for him while he was gone, and didn't just toss it! I'll find out later
    > today.
    > Now I can Fed Ex P3 to Sadegh, who will then turn around and UPS
    > it to the consulate in Ankara, who will then issue an interview date!
    > Finally!
    > Here's what's in our Packet 3. Please note there is more in
    > this P3 than in many others. This is specifically according to Ankara's
    > requirements. Everything is a photocopy, with originals to be provided
    > at the interview.
    > Cover Letter
    > Information Sheet (provided by Ankara)
    > Beneficiary and Petitioner's Passports
    > DS-230, Part 1, signed
    > DS-156,
    > in duplicate, unsigned
    > DS-157
    > Iranian Non-Immigrant Visa Supplementary
    > Form (special form required for all Iranians)
    > DS-156K, unsigned
    > Beneficiary's Birth Certificate and Translation
    > Police Certficate
    > Letter (stating its absence - to be provided at interview)
    > Evidence of
    > Engagement/Relationship (photos, congratulatory cards, phone bills)
    > I-
    > 134, signed and notarized, and the following support documents:
    > Bank
    > Letter
    > Bank Statements
    > Employment Letter
    > Most recent pay stub
    > 3 years
    > tax returns
    > The stack of papers is exactly 1/2" thick. Pertinent
    > information is stapled together (per Ankara's request), and the whole
    > stack is held together with a big binder clip. On the right hand edge
    > of each section, I put a sticky label so each item can be easily found
    > within the stack. I have more evidence and backup info, but I figure
    > this is enough to satisfy them into giving an interview date, and we can
    > present the rest at the interview if they ask for it.
    > I can't believe
    > we're moving along again!! Wow!!
    > Will keep you all posted on the
    > results!
    > Best Wishes,
    > Rene
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jerry Liu
Congratulations, Rene! I'm very happy for you that the process is taking a
big step forward!

Your P3 looks a lot more complicated than the ones for China. All these
supporting documents were only needed at the interview, and in our case they
didn't even look at any of them.

Good luck on getting an interview date soon!

Jerry
Hi Jerry!! Wow, long time no hear! Thanks for the good wishes! What's new with your case these days?? Keep in touch!

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:28 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Whew, what a relief that Sadegh is back in Turkey. Even though he took so long in Iran, I still think it was for the best. At least he got time to spend with his family before leaving the region for good. Keep taking it one step at a time or else you'll go insane.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Wow Rene, great news!

I am glad to hear that things are finally moving for you, and also to see that you still are high up in the rankings for most anal retentive member! What a list, well done! I think you can pretty much guarantee that, had you continued with your Lawyer, something would have been overlooked or forgotten, and I doubt that she would have had it all collated and ready to send by now either.

Well done you, big pat on the back!

Karen
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default update 3-5-04

Hi again,

Just wanted to post a little update. Sadegh has shipped our P3 to Ankara via UPS (either yesterday or today, not quite sure). That means, if everything is in order and they don't send the whole thing back because of something missing, they should tell us our interview date by about March 15th at the latest! If I go by tmushen's timeline, that puts our interview date in the first week of April...!!!

I'm going to call him soon and get the UPS tracking number so I know when it gets to the embassy, and when to expect our interview date to get assigned!!

OMG...it's finally getting near the end....

Best wishes to all those waiting at various stages!

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: update 3-5-04

Shall we have a race as to which one of our beloveds gets here first???? I'm so happy we've both had great news this week!!! You always said we'd tie for a finish.

Patty

Hi again,

Just wanted to post a little update. Sadegh has shipped our P3 to Ankara via UPS (either yesterday or today, not quite sure). That means, if everything is in order and they don't send the whole thing back because of something missing, they should tell us our interview date by about March 15th at the latest! If I go by tmushen's timeline, that puts our interview date in the first week of April...!!!

I'm going to call him soon and get the UPS tracking number so I know when it gets to the embassy, and when to expect our interview date to get assigned!!

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful news Rene!! I'm so happy for you. An april interview is not bad at all!! Let's cross our fingers and hope you hear some good news soon (an interview date!!)

Lily,
Old Mar 6th 2004, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

Rene
Your almost there and I will be watching closely to see if our time frames are similiar. I will keep you posted on any new news about our case.