Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Final Post - Point of entry experience

Final Post - Point of entry experience

Old May 13th 2019, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Final Post - Point of entry experience

Well after about a year in planning and lots of form filling and money spent we final made it to the USA. A big thanks to all on the forum for the help in answering questions and to other who have posted advice etc... its a very useful resource!! I thought I would give a very brief summary of my point of entry experience.
  • We landed in Dallas Fort Worth at about 3.30pm and made our way to the border control. We have visited here loads so knew the layout etc... and asked a member of staff what line we should join. It looked like our plan didn't have many new immigrants on it so we didnt have any line to wait. However, a few minutes later a plane from Qatar landed and about 50 or 60 people joined the line.
  • We went to the officer and handed over out two envelopes and he asked us a few question around our marriage and date of wedding ( we later found out this is because I came in on a CR1 visa and my 7 month old an IR1 visa and his system was only giving him the option of allowing me to become a US citizens so he was checking the length of marriage). He could get his system to play ball so we processed my wee girls and told me to go wait in the room at the back,, he did say I was all good though so I wasn't concerned.
  • After about 5 minutes I got handed my passport and told to enter the USA. was a very nice moment for my family and a bit of an Anti climax.. no "welcome to America"
  • we got our bags and were out of the airport at 5pm!
Very easy and stress free... now I need to figure out a Job, Car, mortgage and all that fun stuff!!

Again, many thanks to all -
Old May 13th 2019, 11:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final Post - Point of entry experience

Welcome to America.

Thank you for your write up of your experience at the port of entry. Most of things are anticlimactic when it comes to dealing with immigration. Our fears and worries magnify most things far out of proportion.

Please feel free to use the USA forum for your questions about cars, car, mortgages, etc.
Old May 13th 2019, 2:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Scar.

I look forward to seeing you over in the US (non-visa) forum.
Old May 13th 2019, 3:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old May 14th 2019, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

And now you're here. All the "fun" stuff to come. Enjoy your new life.
Old May 14th 2019, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

SaraB25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Scar, just a quick question sorry not concerning the above but when you had your interview for your child did you complete an I-864 or just an I-864w and did you need to hand in any tax documents?

Thanks in advance
Sara
Old May 14th 2019, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point

I-864w (we actually filled out the I-864 and took it along only to be told it was incorrect and they gave us the correct form to complete infront of them)

they didn't check any tax records etc...
Old May 14th 2019, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

SaraB25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your help and quick reply. 😊 Good luck with the rest of your journey and great to hear your point of entry went smoothly.