Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filing for AOS and then Moving Jurisdictions?

Wikiposts

Filing for AOS and then Moving Jurisdictions?

Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:02 am
Just Joined

WanderLustMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filing for AOS and then Moving Jurisdictions?

To be clear, I currently have and H1B but would be filing for a change of status based on my marriage. I won't necessarily have a job past the filing date.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree. Since he said "my wife and I are planning to...." then I figured it was marriage-based. But he isn't clear on that, you're right.

Rene

Yes, it was only later he mentioned that his wife is a USC - I had initially assumed she was an H1b dependent, ie H4...

I'd still file sooner rather than later though.

However, I'm not sure how hsi H1b status would be affected if he filed based on marriage, i.e. would he need AP or not...?

If yes, hhe probably hasn't left himself enough time as it seems to take at least 2-3 months these days...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WanderLustMan
From what she told me, if by the time I've asked for the change of address, the appointment has already been scheduled, I would have to explain to the interviewer that we just recently moved because of my wife's job offer in SF and hope that he takes jurisdiction over the case. If not, the case would likely be delayed since he has to request a change of jurisdiction.
Assuming your AOS is marriage-based, it's highly unlikely you'll have your AOS interview in NYC by September. Their processing time is more like 1 to 2 years.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, I currently have and H1B but would be filing for a change of status based on my marriage. I won't necessarily have a job past the filing date.
OK, that clears things up. So you'll also be applying for the EAD along with AOS?

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Yes, I'm looking to apply for an EAD and AP as soon as I file for the AOS. I'll still keep my H1B status so long as I work at my current job (likely June or end of July) but then would require the EAD or the AP to travel.

One to Two years?!!! Jesus, my lawyer said it was more like 6 months these days. No matter, I'm not in a rush since once I have the EAD and AP I can live in the US and come in and out no?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:37 am

Yes, I'm looking to apply for an EAD and AP as soon as I file for the AOS. I'll still keep my H1B status so long as I work at my current job (likely June or end of July) but then would require the EAD or the AP to travel.
Hint: Not as soon as, but "along with".

One to Two years?!!! Jesus, my lawyer said it was more like 6 months these days. No matter, I'm not in a rush since once I have the EAD and AP I can live in the US and come in and out no?
Recently I saw one person get his AOS interview in NYC in about 10 months...but that's the only fast one I've seen lately. Although NY has different district offices, and you don't mention which one yours is. His was the one in Manhattan.

Coming in and out with the AP has its own list of cautions. Do a search on here to find out the difference between being "admitted" and being "parolled" into the USA, and make sure you qualify to use AP (i.e., no overstays, etc. - ask your lawyer if you qualify).

On a side note, when I was talking to an immigration attorney about starting my fiance's K-1 visa, she said it wouldn't take longer than 6 months to get him here. It ended up taking 14 months.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:53 am
Just Joined

what is an overstay? I have no idea how to search for a definition of it.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:56 am

what is an overstay? I have no idea how to search for a definition of it.
It's when you stay longer than you're legally allowed to on your visa. I'm not saying it applies to you. Just saying there might be issues in using AP that you might not be aware of. Hopefully your attorney will know if you qualify to use it.

Rene
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Or are people suggesting that I not ask for a change of address and just have the lawyer forward any mail that comes to her to my new home in California?
Oh... I'm pretty sure no one is saying this, because you are obligated, by law, to inform USCIS of any change of address within 10 days of moving.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Am I correct in assuming that an AP has validity throughout the life of the application process? Does it ever expire before you get the interview?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:09 am

Am I correct in assuming that an AP has validity throughout the life of the application process? Does it ever expire before you get the interview?
Look up the I-131 on www.uscis.gov, under Forms & Fees. AP is valid for 1 year, multiple entries if that's what you ask for. So yes, it could expire before you get an interview. In which case, if you still want to have an AP, you'll apply for a new one about 3 months before the old one expires.

Same goes for EAD, by the way.

Rene