Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filed AOS today in Hartford....My experience....

Filed AOS today in Hartford....My experience....

Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

jaycent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filed AOS today in Hartford....My experience....

I got to the Federal Building on Main Street in Hartford at roughly 8:15 this morning. Was surprised to see about 60 to 80 persons queued up ahead of me, just waiting to get a number. I promptly joined the back of the queue, knowing it would be a long day.

45 minutes later, I got a number. #515. Was relieved to see that they were currently serving ticket #508, and thought to myself that I wouldn’t have long to wait. Well, it took over 3 hrs to get to my number!

Anyway, I went up to the counter, handed in my documents. The officer looked over my paperwork, and ticked off a list he had on a piece of Paper. Everything seemed to be in order. My wife wrote up a cheque (Check) for $350, and handed it to the Officer.

The officer told us to have a seat, and listen for our name to be called.

30 minutes later, he came back out, handed us a receipt, and told us that everything from this point will be done via mail, and that we should get our AOS Interview within the next year to year and a half. I was hoping he'd say in the next 6 months.

Overall, the experience at the Hartford office wasn’t too bad, apart from the long wait.

On my way out, I noticed a young couple who openly wept, as it seemed something had gone very wrong with their paperwork. Felt really sorry for them

So now, I have gotten the AOS paperwork off my hand, at least for the time being.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

msrourke is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard the comment before that the BCIS "owns" your life for 5 years or more once the process starts. Guess there is some truth to that. Good luck and I do hope it is only 6 months for you.

I feel for that young couple.

Marriage is work, marriage is tough, but when you have the government all but sitting in your bedroom for 5+ years, it's makes marriage more of a challenge. Hope it all works for them too.

Mike