Wikiposts

Fiancee Visa Question

Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fiancee Visa Question

A friend of mine's cousin's fiancee got a visa to come from th Uk to the U.S. She has been here since May 06, has no SSN no (he does not want her to work) no driving licence and has apparently not contacted the INS to request a change of status or anything. They have been asked to appear at a local INS office for an interview. Does this seem right? Should she not have applied for a GC? Apparently she cannot apply for a SSN as she does not have a driving licence which seems wrong to me!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiancee Visa Question

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
A friend of mine's cousin's fiancee got a visa to come from th Uk to the U.S. She has been here since May 06, has no SSN no (he does not want her to work) no driving licence and has apparently not contacted the INS to request a change of status or anything. They have been asked to appear at a local INS office for an interview. Does this seem right? Should she not have applied for a GC? Apparently she cannot apply for a SSN as she does not have a driving licence which seems wrong to me!

Did they actually get married?

The terms of the fiancee visa (K1) require for the marriage to take place within 90 days of her entering the US, otherwise (as I understand it) she would be out of status. Not sure why she would be asked for an interview though if she has not filed her I-485...

And she should have applied for her SSN whilst her K1 was still valid...
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The whole story is wrong A few bits got missed down the line I think ...
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine's cousin's fiancee...
It sounds a bit like the start of an urban legend!

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Fiancee Visa Question

Originally Posted by Ray
The whole story is wrong A few bits got missed down the line I think ...
I could not agree more!! I am pretty sure there are some bits missing but the guy I work with is pretty sure that they have not filed anything at all with the INS.......................
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I could not agree more!! I am pretty sure there are some bits missing but the guy I work with is pretty sure that they have not filed anything at all with the INS.......................
They would not have received an interview date, if they had not filed anything at all.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:37 pm
J. J. Farrell

Mad Max7 wrote:
    > A friend of mine's cousin's fiancee got a visa to come from th Uk to the
    > U.S.

What visa?

> She has been here since May 06, has no SSN no (he does not want her
    > to work) no driving licence and has apparently not contacted the INS to
    > request a change of status or anything. They have been asked to appear
    > at a local INS office for an interview. Does this seem right?

No way to say without knowing what visa she entered on, and what
previous interactions she's had with the INS.

> Should she not have applied for a GC?

I don't know what they'd be interviewing her for if she hadn't.

> Apparently she cannot apply for a SSN as she
    > does not have a driving licence which seems wrong to me!

It's complete nonsense.

Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J. J. Farrell
    > Apparently she cannot apply for a SSN as she
    > does not have a driving licence which seems wrong to me!

It's complete nonsense.
that would depend on the state...
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that would depend on the state...

I think they've got it the wrong way around: She probably cannot apply for a DL without a SSN...
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:32 pm
J. J. Farrell

Bob wrote:
    > J. J. Farrell wrote:
    > > Mad Max7 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Apparently she cannot apply for a SSN as she
    > > > does not have a driving licence which seems wrong to me!
    > >
    > > It's complete nonsense.
    > that would depend on the state...

What does the state have to do with issuing SSNs or controlling the
circumstances in which they can be applied for?

Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What does the state have to do with issuing SSNs or controlling the
circumstances in which they can be applied for?
the driving license...we're kind of presuming the person got it mixed up...
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
the driving license...we're kind of presuming the person got it mixed up...
Could be I do not know. The guy who's cousin it is only works p/t so i do not see him that often. This is all going on in Mi, and as fas as I know all that I posted about it is correct. They have not filed with the INS for any change of status or anything, so he is very puzzled as to what the interview is about.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What does the state have to do with issuing SSNs or controlling the circumstances in which they can be applied for?
While things have changed in recent years, Kentucky state law required a SSN in order to receiving a DL. To accommodate state law (although they were probably not obligated to do so), the local SSA would issue a SSN if you provided a letter from the DMV indicating that a SSN was required to get a DL. This was the exact circumstance under which I received my SSN. I never once indicated to SSA that I was otherwise eligible for a SSN because I was in the US as a K-1 beneficiary (not yet married). As I said though... things have changed so this is no longer the case.

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2006, 4:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Could be I do not know. The guy who's cousin it is only works p/t so i do not see him that often. This is all going on in Mi, and as fas as I know all that I posted about it is correct. They have not filed with the INS for any change of status or anything, so he is very puzzled as to what the interview is about.
Maybe a jealous ex ratted them out to ICE? Or a disgruntled neighbor? This isn't a very popular time to be an illegal alien (what she might be, or someone suspects she might be).
Did they get married?
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:13 am
J. J. Farrell

ian-mstm wrote:
    > > Bob wrote:
    > > > J. J. Farrell wrote:
    > > > > Mad Max7 wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Apparently she cannot apply for a SSN as she
    > > > > > does not have a driving licence which seems wrong to me!
    > > > >
    > > > > It's complete nonsense.
    > > > that would depend on the state...
    > >
    > > What does the state have to do with issuing SSNs or controlling the
    > > circumstances in which they can be applied for?
    > While things have changed in recent years, Kentucky state law required a
    > SSN in order to receiving a DL. To accommodate state law (although they
    > were probably not obligated to do so), the local SSA would issue a SSN
    > if you provided a letter from the DMV indicating that a SSN was required
    > to get a DL. This was the exact circumstance under which I received my
    > SSN. I never once indicated to SSA that I was otherwise eligible for a
    > SSN because I was in the US as a K-1 beneficiary (not yet married). As I
    > said though... things have changed so this is no longer the case.

That's the opposite issue. He said she can't apply for an SSN because
she hasn't got a driving licence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.