Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiancee visa delays - please help!

Wikiposts

Fiancee visa delays - please help!

Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

cardinal125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiancee visa delays - please help!

My British fiancee and I have done everything required to get her approved for a K-1 Fiancee visa to come to the U.S. and get married. We were approved for the visa last April, and we thought we had plenty of time to get the visa before our August wedding. However, it has been three months since she was approved, and the US embassy seems to be doing everything they can to delay the process. We are very worried she will not receive an interview date at the embassy to get the visa before the wedding date. Is there anything we can do to speed up the process? All the forms needed have been acquired, we're just waiting for the embassy to shedule the interview....
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiancee visa delays - please help!

Originally Posted by cardinal125
My British fiancee and I have done everything required to get her approved for a K-1 Fiancee visa to come to the U.S. and get married. We were approved for the visa last April, and we thought we had plenty of time to get the visa before our August wedding. However, it has been three months since she was approved, and the US embassy seems to be doing everything they can to delay the process. We are very worried she will not receive an interview date at the embassy to get the visa before the wedding date. Is there anything we can do to speed up the process? All the forms needed have been acquired, we're just waiting for the embassy to shedule the interview....
I'm waiting on a K1 visa too and I know that there is nothing you can do to speed up the process (unless you are military, there are a few circumstances then). Is your wedding all booked? It's always best not to make any firm plans until you get the visa in hand and that usually takes anything up to 9 months from filing. I know that this doesn't help you at all but there is nothing that you can do right now - perhaps try to re-schedule the wedding?

Gillian
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

English Muffin-
Thanks for your sympathy anyway! Yeah we knew that planning things without the visa was risky, but really had no choice as we were accomodating all the family's schedules. We thought 8 months might be enough time. The problem with waiting until you get the visa is that once you do you only have a few months where its good and only 3 months once you get here, so its not much time to plan a whole wedding.

We're thinking now about her coming over and we can have the ceremony but not making it official. Then she will go home and come back when she gets the visa and we can get married in the court house as soon as she's here. Anyway, I hope you're visa process goes smoothly. Ours was going smoothly until now. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is a little confusing. You say you were approved for the visa last April, yet you haven't yet had the K-1 interview. That's not possible. The only way you can be approved for the visa, is after having attended the interview. I think what got approved last April is the I-129F petition which the USC submitted. That's only the petition, it's not the visa. The visa won't be approved until after the interview at the embassy happens.

So, you've turned in the checklist to the embassy, and are now just waiting for an interview? London typically slows down processing in the summer months, so I'm not suprised...but how long ago did you return the checklist?

You can always email the embassy and have them give you an estimate of when you can expect your interview. You can mention that you would like the visa by August xx, whatever date...don't tell them it's for the wedding, and don't demand it, just ask politely if they can accommodate that date.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with waiting until you get the visa is that once you do you only have a few months where its good and only 3 months once you get here, so its not much time to plan a whole wedding.
You have 6 months to use the visa, and then 3 months to get married....9 months total. Does a wedding really take that long to put together? We had a courthouse wedding, so I don't know, just asking. 9 months seems like a long enough time to me...

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My K1 took 11 months, 8 is quite possible as they have speeded up since then.

If you marry you will go back to the start, a K1 is for a fiancee, so no longer applicable.

As has ben said by Rene you essentially have a 9 month minimum window to arrange a wedding, and a bit of flexibility as to the interview date.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My K1 took 11 months, 8 is quite possible as they have speeded up since then.

If you marry you will go back to the start, a K1 is for a fiancee, so no longer applicable.

As has ben said by Rene you essentially have a 9 month minimum window to arrange a wedding, and a bit of flexibility as to the interview date.
I think he is saying that they will have the ceremony, but will not legally be married (they won't get a marriage license). That would still make her eligible for the K1. However, OP needs to ensure his fiance makes it clear at her visa interview that they are not legally married, that it was just the ceremony - she wants to make sure the immigration officer understands she is still eligible for the visa.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I think he is saying that they will have the ceremony, but will not legally be married (they won't get a marriage license). That would still make her eligible for the K1. However, OP needs to ensure his fiance makes it clear at her visa interview that they are not legally married, that it was just the ceremony - she wants to make sure the immigration officer understands she is still eligible for the visa.
Personally I would not risk having ANY kind of ceremony before the actual wedding. I might have an informal party, but that's it. Nothing fancy, no huge number of guests, just at home in the privacy of my own house, no wedding attire, no photos, just to be safe. But that's just me.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of ceremony can they have without a marriage license?

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything we can do to speed up the process? All the forms needed have been acquired, we're just waiting for the embassy to shedule the interview....
Why don't you email the Consulate and advise them of your schedule AND your readiness?

While you might be pushing someone else aside for a longer separation from *their* loved one, if your need is great, you might get some joy. Others have.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The ceremony I was talking about would just be the same wedding ceremony we've been planning.
This is a very bad idea.

No matter how "unofficial" you think it is, if USCIS finds out about this ceremony you are in for a rough ride. You are playing with fire if you try this. You might get away with it, you might have big problems. Your guests might be inconvenienced, but they don't have years of dealing with USCIS ahead of them. I strongly advise postponing all ceremonies until you have the visa.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore me - misread his post.

Last edited by English Muffin; Jul 19th 2007 at 6:00 am.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:52 am

The ceremony I was talking about would just be the same wedding ceremony we've been planning. It would be a huge blow to cancel everything that has been booked and cancel everyones plane tickets that are coming over to see it. It wouldnt be official in the sense that in the end we still wouldnt be legally married. But no one would have to know that but us. The immigration and visa approvers wouldn't need to know we were having an unofficial ceremony. She could come over and tell them she is coming to make arrangements for the wedding ceremony, which will be the truth.

We have both tried contacting the embassy for information and they are extremely unhelpful. They even shouted at my fiance when she rang up asking for when the interview might be scheduled and if they'd received the checklist. They said they coudnt tell her that info and it takes 3 months to process. 3 months is exceedingly rediculous, especially since the petitions been approved. The embassy doesnt have any work to do but put her name down on the calender for an interview...

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I agree with Bill_S regarding cancelling the big ceremony. If USCIS finds out about anything that looks, smells, or tastes like a "wedding", you are in for a longer separation than you have now. Have a small party if you want, but not the full-blown ceremony you had planned on. Especially if it involves the bride and groom wearing a gown and tux, a wedding cake, and all that.

Having the I-129F petition approved does not equal fast service on the embassy side. It simply means she gets in line behind all the others waiting for an interview date, and it is well known that processing time does slow down in London over the summer months, with people on vacation and such. Three months isn't exceedingly ridiculous, in my opinion. Yes, they have to put her name down on the calendar....behind all the people that are already waiting.

Plus, what would happen if your fiancee comes to the USA for that ceremony, and then London sends her an interview appointment on short notice, before the ceremony happens? She would have to return to London for the interview, and still cancel the ceremony thing anyway.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 6:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We have both tried contacting the embassy for information and they are extremely unhelpful. They even shouted at my fiance when she rang up asking for when the interview might be scheduled and if they'd received the checklist. They said they coudnt tell her that info and it takes 3 months to process. 3 months is exceedingly rediculous, especially since the petitions been approved. The embassy doesnt have any work to do but put her name down on the calender for an interview...

Thanks for all your suggestions.
If you telephoned, you did not get through to the Embassy, but to the Visa Help(?)Line in Scotland.

My suggestion is to EMAIL the Immigrant Visa Unit in the actual Consulate.
(and don't presume to know what the Embassy has or has not to do to get her an interview. There are steps I'm guessing you are unaware of. There are also other people in line ahead of you.)
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:25 am
Just Joined

I guess we have no choice but to postpone the wedding. Family issues mean that if we postpone the wedding, much of our immediate families will not be able to attend. Plus all the money we have now lost on reservations and deposits and her families plane tickets.

We planned on the time frame for everything else but we didnt know that it would take so long on the English side, which is why we thought 8 months would be ok.

We never expect any special treatment like being bumped up in line, we're just trying to understand what is going on. There aren't exactly any great resources for help on this experience.

Thanks anyway to those of you who were sympathetic.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:35 am

We never expect any special treatment like being bumped up in line,
Why not? You won't get anything if you do not ask for it.

I honestly don't understand how posts get so misunderstood.

Would you rather have us (me) boo hoo with you and plan for doom, or try to get what you actually want (to keep your wedding date plans)?

And, what is wrong with this resource? (rhetorical question--no answer required). There are accounts posted frequently about people in just your situation getting their interview jump started.
I can not email the Consulate on your behalf, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.