Reload this Page >

Fiancee Visa Advice Needed

Fiancee Visa Advice Needed

Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Stokesy1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fiancee Visa Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Tracym
You CAN self-sponser for the K-1. That visa only lasts for 3 months after you arrive.

Whenver you marry (within that 90 days) you must file for AOS, at which point all of Meauxna's information applies. This is the sponsorhip that is legally binding upon her.
After marrying on the K1 and filing for AOS do i have to wait in the UK or can I stay in the US and get a work permit?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokesy1979
After marrying on the K1 and filing for AOS do i have to wait in the UK or can I stay in the US and get a work permit?
Oh you get to stay once you arrive with the K-1.

You may get a stamp authorizing work when you arrive, if through JFK. You apply for the work permit (EAD) after you marry and apply for AOS.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

The concern with a prior marriage to an "alien" is usually:

1) Suspicion of marriage fraud to obtain immigration benefits. Since she never filed for her ex, he never lived in the US, and the divorce was initiated shortly after the marriage, I personally do not see this coming into play. But ask a lawyer.

2) If she had brought her ex over on a fiance visa before, I believe she would need some sort of waiver to file for another fiance visa within a two year period. This does not apply to you as he came over on VWP.

Also UK fiances may "self-sponsor":
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...affidavit.html
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you get to stay once you arrive with the K-1.

You may get a stamp authorizing work when you arrive, if through JFK. You apply for the work permit (EAD) after you marry and apply for AOS.
Oh make sure your fiancee starts hunting for her documents soon - extricating them from courthouses can take forever, if perchance anything is out of town. She needs her passport, offical copy of marriage registration, official copy of divorce decree. I can't think of what else just now.

You need to get a police check done and the long-form of your birth certificate. If you were married before, you need marriage and divorce papers also of course. The police check is only good for one year, so I wouldn't do it until after her divorce is final.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It is legal to come over on VWP and get married as long as you return
Yes.

Is it legal to come over for normal 2 week holiday get married and return home?
Yes.

Just make sure to check on what it takes to get married in her state, just in case there is a time period you'll need to wait between getting the marriage license and actually getting married. Different states have different regulations.

And no, it won't look bad to USCIS if you get married soon after her divorce is final. All they care about is that you are both legally free to marry.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Yes.

Just make sure to check on what it takes to get married in her state, just in case there is a time period you'll need to wait between getting the marriage license and actually getting married. Different states have different regulations.

And no, it won't look bad to USCIS if you get married soon after her divorce is final. All they care about is that you are both legally free to marry.

Rene
Good point. Or check out whatever state you'd like to be married in - many have no residency requirement. So if you don't care to marry where she lives, you might be able to take a vacation somewhere that suits you both. Just more options.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I can see why you're confused the reason why is the marriage only lasted a month and it was to a UK guy, possibly seeking easy entry into the UK, nothing was filed by them in regards to him just, it was over before it started.
Thats why we were worried the fiancee visa might be turned down.
Make sure you check whether she is even allowed to file for another immigrant, whether it be fiance or spouse. I believe there is a limit on how many petitions a USC can apply for during a certain time frame...for example, once every 2 years, something like that.

If I were you (or her), I'd go in person to check with an immigration attorney. A 1-time consultation is only about $100, and he can answer all the questions about which route is best, and can determine whether she even qualifies to file a new petition after filing one for her ex-spouse.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The work permit is not issued immediately, however -- it takes (right now) about a month to two months at best. You can use the time to look for a job but you may have a hard time finding one that is willing to wait for you while you're awaiting your EAD (employment authorisation).
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Make sure you check whether she is even allowed to file for another immigrant, whether it be fiance or spouse. I believe there is a limit on how many petitions a USC can apply for during a certain time frame...for example, once every 2 years, something like that.

If I were you (or her), I'd go in person to check with an immigration attorney. A 1-time consultation is only about $100, and he can answer all the questions about which route is best, and can determine whether she even qualifies to file a new petition after filing one for her ex-spouse.

Rene
Maybe read up a bit if you have time

she has not sponsored anyone else, and they are already going to an attorney.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The work permit is not issued immediately, however -- it takes (right now) about a month to two months at best. You can use the time to look for a job but you may have a hard time finding one that is willing to wait for you while you're awaiting your EAD (employment authorisation).
While a work permit can take 90 days, you can (sometimes) get an entry stamp which allows you to work immediately. The problem is, there may be a gap between the end of that stamp (good for 90 days) and the arrival of the EAD.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:48 pm

Guessing this is an inside joke but no it's not.

I am not asking to be judged, like i said it is a very long and complicated story. All I was asking is advice and truely thankful for the useful info thats been given so far...I know we could get a lot of questions and even turned down thats why I'm investigating all avenues
Thanks
Richard.
I don't think it really matters to USCIS which way someone files...whether it be a fiance or spouse. The history is still there, the same checks are done either route, etc. USCIS just sees it as a USC applying for a benefit for their fiance/spouse, and that's it. All they care about is whether the people involved are qualified to receive the benefit. They don't care if you're engaged or married at the time.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think it really matters to USCIS which way someone files...whether it be a fiance or spouse. The history is still there, the same checks are done either route, etc. USCIS just sees it as a USC applying for a benefit for their fiance/spouse, and that's it. All they care about is whether the people involved are qualified to receive the benefit. They don't care if you're engaged or married at the time.

Rene
Our attorney told us sometimes USCIS does prefer the fiance route. Of course, one person's opinion.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Thanks Meauxna for the up-to-date advice....

However, they won't be living together at the time of a K-1 or K-3 application, right?
A K-1 applicant in the UK can use his own assets to self-sponsor, instead of the USC filling out the I-134. Once he's in the USA doing AOS, then they can use combined income on the I-864.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:03 pm

Once you enter on the K-1 and file AOS, you are allowed to remain in the USA. You will file for the EAD (work permit) at the same time you apply for AOS. Also, if you want to take any trips back home while waiting for your AOS interview, you'll need to file for AP (travel document).

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:06 pm

Oh make sure your fiancee starts hunting for her documents soon - extricating them from courthouses can take forever, if perchance anything is out of town. She needs her passport, offical copy of marriage registration, official copy of divorce decree. I can't think of what else just now.
She doesn't necessarily need the Certified Copy of her Marriage Certificate (I included one, but I don't think it's a requirement).

She does need the Certified Copy of the Divorce Decree.
She does need a Certified Copy of her Birth Certificate.

I don't believe she needs a passport, necessarily. But the relevant pages from her passport which shows they met in person will be helpful.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.