Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiance visa and work visa

Fiance visa and work visa

Old Feb 18th 2003, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Jamerson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance visa and work visa

Hi all, I'm filling in all the forms for the fiance visa, and I have a query about it all.
On one of the forms it asks if I plan to work in the US, the answer surprisingly is yes, but it then asks, if yes give name and address of employer. But how can I get a job to put on the form when I can't tell any potential employers that I will be able to start work on so and so date, plus it seems to take about 6 months for the visas to come through, so I can't imagine any employers wanting to wait that long.

Would it be easier to try and get a job over there and apply for an H1-B visa and then get married over there and apply for adjustment of status, or isn't it as simple as that?

Another question (if you're still reading), if on the forms we put that we will be living at a certain address. But then get there I get a job in another state, do we just have to inform the state that we're moving or is it form filling time again? i.e. can we go anywhere in the country once we're there?

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
James
Old Feb 18th 2003, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

hazelize is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been wondering the same thing about both of those questions.... hopefully someone on here knows the answer
Old Feb 18th 2003, 5:07 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance visa and work visa

Originally posted by Jamerson
On one of the forms it asks if I plan to work in the US, the answer surprisingly is yes, but it then asks, if yes give name and address of employer.

*snip*

Another question (if you're still reading), if on the forms we put that we will be living at a certain address. But then get there I get a job in another state, do we just have to inform the state that we're moving or is it form filling time again? i.e. can we go anywhere in the country once we're there?
1) My fiance, Mark, is also planning to work once he gets here, but for obvious reasons does not have a job lined up as yet. For the question asking if you plan to work, etc., Mark wrote "yes" and then "unknown at this time" where the employer information is listed.

2) You asked about applying for an H1-B visa -- I can't comment as I don't have any experience with that kind of visa, but someone else here probably can.

3) You CAN live anywhere in the States once you're here, and you DO have to notify the INS of any US change of address. However, I've read of some people having MAJOR problems and delays when they've done this, just to forewarn you. As an example, if you do a search under "Caro" you can read some of her experiences in moving from Detroit to San Francisco and the hassle she's gone through because of it. One of her threads describing her situation is here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=caro+address

~ Jenney
Old Feb 18th 2003, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

cdnclv is an unknown quantity at this point

For the, "Do you plan to work" question, I put, "Yes, after receiving INS approval". Then for employer and address I think I put "N/A". I received my visa, no problem. Yes, you can move, but you must notify the INS in writing. I believe they have forms on their website. This will likely slow down your process as your file would have to be transferred. We are just going to stay put until our AOS interview is complete. Along the same train of thought, if the sponsor changes jobs in this process, the original Affidavit of Support is void and they must complete a new one. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamerson
Hi all, I'm filling in all the forms for the fiance visa, and I have a query about it all.
On one of the forms it asks if I plan to work in the US, the answer surprisingly is yes, but it then asks, if yes give name and address of employer. But how can I get a job to put on the form when I can't tell any potential employers that I will be able to start work on so and so date, plus it seems to take about 6 months for the visas to come through, so I can't imagine any employers wanting to wait that long.

Would it be easier to try and get a job over there and apply for an H1-B visa and then get married over there and apply for adjustment of status, or isn't it as simple as that?

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
James
Hi:

Tell the truth:

Do you plan to work? Yes.

For who? unknown.
Old Feb 21st 2003, 2:42 am
Mail-Server.Bigpond.Net.Au

I left mine blank, hoping that I could talk to someone at the consulate
about what I should put, since I had the same dilemma..

But all I got was a grumpy look from the consulate officer saying "You
didn't fill this out!" and asked me why..

I just said "err.. I will work eventually.. but don't have employment right
now".. so she wrote something like "Yes" for if I intend to work and "No
employer yet" I think

Michael

hazelize wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have been wondering the same thing about both of those questions....
    > hopefully someone on here knows the answer
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com