Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiance visa (k1) - info request

Fiance visa (k1) - info request

Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:58 am

paullypdahutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance visa (k1) - info request

Hi,

I am a UK citizen, my fiance is american, we just got engaged whilst she was visiting last week. Could somebody give me a step by step break down the process that we need to go through in order for us to marry & for me to move to the US.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance visa (k1) - info request

Originally Posted by paullypdahutch
Hi,

I am a UK citizen, my fiance is american, we just got engaged whilst she was visiting last week. Could somebody give me a step by step break down the process that we need to go through in order for us to marry & for me to move to the US.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Hi Paul, Welcome to BE.

You basically have two choices. The K-1 fiance visa, or the CR-1 spouse Immigrant Visa.

I think it will be difficult (or impossible) to get married now in the UK while she's there, because she didn't enter with the correct visa type to marry you. So most likely the K-1 fiance visa will be your preferred method.

Have a look at the Wiki Guide on this site for an article on how the K-1 fiance visa works. Basically the USC files an I-129F form, you end up having an interview in the UK, and then you must marry within 90 days of your entry to the USA. To get your green card involves another step called adjustment of status, after you get married.

You can expect the K-1 visa process to take about 6 - 8 months.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Ok the main process is this:

*USC files petition I-129F
*USC gets NOA1 saying its recieved, and NOA2 follows saying its been approved.
*UKC gets sent "Packet 3", this is a letter containing two links, you need to fill out and return the DS forms and the checklist, and gather the supporting documents (letter of intent, I-134 etc) to take to your interview with you. You also need to book your medical with Knightsbridge.
*UKC will then get interview appointment letter, with time and date of when to go to the US Embassy.
*Once your interview is complete you will find out whether you have been successful or not.
*If successful you will be told at the embassy to go pay at the courier desk, and in 5-10 days your passport with visa in, should arrive at your door!
*You then have 6 months which to enter the US on this visa, and you can only enter on it once.

*Once you have arrived in the USA, you have 90 days to get married and then you need to file AOS. (SO KEEP HOLD OF A COPY OF ALL PREVIOUS DOCUMENTS/LETTERS!)

Good luck

do a search on this forum for K1, and also read the wiki for k1 london entry.

plenty of really good information!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:43 am

paullypdahutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice. I feel a lot of paperwork coming my way...
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - yep, there's quite a lot to take in but make sure you read the WIKI and the embassy web site thoroughly. It's certainly not a particularly difficult process, just one that turns the person of average intelligences' brain to mush lol! The people here are amazing though, really really helpful - so long as you help yourself a bit too