other and pictures of each other (actual pics in hand), plus have
received gifts via snail-mail. I need to know what the guidelines are
for means of support. How much money does a USA citizen need to make
to support fiance? Also, How long does a USA citizen have to live in
same address before filing petition? I heard it was 2 years. Is having
to leave job (which would cause job to be lost, place to live lost) to
go see fiance in person be considered hardship? My finace and I want
to get all the information together before filing. I will fight,
meaning get a lawyer to get my fiance here. May God Bless You All.

Julie H.

Old Dec 25th 2002, 4:00 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa

Hi Julie,

In order to be eligible for the fiance visa, you must have met IN PERSON within the past two years. From what you have written here, though, you haven't yet fulfilled this requirement. So you're getting ahead of yourself...

At this point, your only priority should be to meet each other in person. Otherwise, everything else is irrelevant. Getting a lawyer will not get you around this requirement. Leaving your job in order to meet in person is NOT considered "hardship" by the INS, even if *you* think it is.

Why must you leave your job in order to spend time together? Surely one of you can manage to use some vacation time from work to go visit the other? At a minimum this is what you would need to be able to apply for a fiance visa; moreover it will allow you to get to know each other IN PERSON, at which point you will know for sure whether you really want to marry each other.

So, one step at a time. Figure out a way to spend some time together in person, then go from there. If it means having to wait until you have the time and/or funds to do so, then that's what you'll have to do. Mark and I also met online, and we *just knew* we were meant for each other. However, due to work conflicts and finances, we weren't able to meet in person for 7 months. And as strongly as we felt about each other, we knew that we couldn't be 100% sure about wanting to marry each other until we spent time together in person first. Waiting was difficult, but it was definitely the right thing to do. So I understand what you're going through, and can tell you that it's possible to do.

Meeting in person is important not just to fulfill this criterion for the fiance visa, but should also be important to you personally. Hang in there, and go about things the right way. In the long run, it'll be worth it.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 25th 2002, 4:04 pm
Steve

You have to meet 125% of government poverty guidelines for your size
family - if you make over $25000 and there are no kids, then you're okay.

Living at the same address is totally wrong information - makes no
difference if you moved every month.

Your scenario is not hardship, sorry. Don't you have any vacation?

You don't absolutely need a lawyer, but you'd better start fighting for
some vacation FIRST and for an airplane ticket to whereever.

Steve

Julie H. wrote:
    > I met my fiance 2 years ago on-line in a yahoo room. We have talked
    > often via messenger, on the telephone. We have many emails from each
    > other and pictures of each other (actual pics in hand), plus have
    > received gifts via snail-mail. I need to know what the guidelines are
    > for means of support. How much money does a USA citizen need to make
    > to support fiance? Also, How long does a USA citizen have to live in
    > same address before filing petition? I heard it was 2 years. Is having
    > to leave job (which would cause job to be lost, place to live lost) to
    > go see fiance in person be considered hardship? My finace and I want
    > to get all the information together before filing. I will fight,
    > meaning get a lawyer to get my fiance here. May God Bless You All.
    >
    > Julie H.

Old Dec 26th 2002, 4:49 am
Julie H.

>
The income for me and my fiance is $15,000.00 gross income a year. I
just got off the phone with the INS. They also said its up to the
consulate in Egypt and in USA to decide on the residence and meeting
issue. But I appreciate all inquiries. Thank You.

Old Dec 26th 2002, 5:43 am
Julie H.

Vacation is out of the question. The money was taken to pay the
outstanding bills. All money I use is for bills only. I will have a
co-sponor of support. Actually my income is $150.00 short of the limit
for two people. LOL Fiance is student at university and cant come
here ahead of time becuase how would they know if he would return
becuase he has no proofs of returning even with round trip ticket. It
would cost me $3000.00 to go there not counting hotel expenses in
Cairo, Egypt. And since we are muslims we cant sleep under same roof
until we are married. The question now is... Is it possible for fiance
to come here to marry me without seeing me first? How does fiance come
to visit me in USA? Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Julie H.

Old Dec 26th 2002, 10:10 am
Steve

No, under the conditions you describe, it will not be possible to get a
fiance visa without meeting. The muslim religion doesn't forbid your
meeting, and INS doens't require that you have slept under 'same roof'.

Julie H. wrote:
    > Vacation is out of the question. The money was taken to pay the
    > outstanding bills. All money I use is for bills only. I will have a
    > co-sponor of support. Actually my income is $150.00 short of the limit
    > for two people. LOL Fiance is student at university and cant come
    > here ahead of time becuase how would they know if he would return
    > becuase he has no proofs of returning even with round trip ticket. It
    > would cost me $3000.00 to go there not counting hotel expenses in
    > Cairo, Egypt. And since we are muslims we cant sleep under same roof
    > until we are married. The question now is... Is it possible for fiance
    > to come here to marry me without seeing me first? How does fiance come
    > to visit me in USA? Any ideas?
    >
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Julie H.

Old Dec 26th 2002, 10:28 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again...

I *strongly* suggest that you both come up with a way to meet in person before diving into all this. You have been in contact for 2 years, but online/telephone contact is *nothing* like in-person contact. Marriage is a very big step, and I'd think, at the very least, you'd want to spend some time together in person before taking that very big step.

Originally posted by Julie H.
Vacation is out of the question. The money was taken to pay the outstanding bills. All money I use is for bills only. I will have a co-sponor of support.

As for your income, there are ways around that. Get a second job, or a third. Or simply get a better-paying job. At least until you can save up enough for a visit. That's what I've done -- my new job (which starts in Jan) pays almost double what I'm making now, and even though my schedule is horrible (9pm to 8am shift), it's worth the short-term sacrifice to be making more money.

It's great that you have the co-sponsor set up, but that's really not your priority right now. Your priority should be to meet in person, see if this is really the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

(Don't forget, also, that obtaining a visa and adjusting status isn't free -- certain forms and procedures cost hundreds of dollars. If you don't have the money to spend on a visit, how will you have the money to pay for the visa process??)

Fiance is student at university and cant come here ahead of time becuase how would they know if he would return becuase he has no proofs of returning even with round trip ticket.

Ok, a couple of things here. First, why would he need proof of intent to return if he's simply coming to the States for vacation? You can't apply for a fiance visa until you meet in person anyway, so there isn't a "fiance issue" as such, is there? He's just like any other Joe who wants to spend his holiday in the States...

Second, if he needed proof, having documents showing he is a degree-seeking student in Egypt seems like pretty good proof to me.

It would cost me $3000.00 to go there not counting hotel expenses in Cairo, Egypt. And since we are muslims we cant sleep under same roof until we are married

Where are you getting this $3000 price tag from for airfare to Cairo?? I did a quick search on Expedia for a one-week February trip from LA, Chicago, Miami, and NYC. (I don't know where you live, so I chose cities around the country.) The most expensive return airfare I found was $1150. Even if your hotel accommodations are $75/night, your total for both flight and hotel would be around $1600. And that's not even considering putting some effort into it and really digging around for good deals.

The question now is... Is it possible for fiance to come here to marry me without seeing me first? How does fiance come to visit me in USA? Any ideas?

The short answers to these questions are: 1) Yes; and 2) Save up money for a ticket and hotel stay by getting a (second) job, etc.

However, if this man enters the US on a tourist visa with the intent of marrying a USC, then he is violating the terms of his tourist visa. He would be committing fraud because he, in fact, has intent to immigrate. If he wants to come to the US to marry a USC, then he needs to apply for a K-1 visa -- that's what it's for, to allow foreign fiances to enter the US for marriage to a USC.

But, as you already know, he can't do this until he's met you in person, which he hasn't yet. Therefore, your number one priority right now is to meet in person. So many of your questions and problems would be solved by simply meeting in person and getting that requirement out of the way (not to mention the peace of mind that comes with meeting in person).

Forgive me if I sound rude, but you seem to have your mind made up not to meet in person and instead are trying to come up with ways to get around this requirement. I hope I am wrong, but that is the impression I am getting. I am very worried that you are so intent on marrying someone you have never even held hands with, whose eyes you have never looked into.

In my opinion, meeting in person is at least as important to know *for sure* that this is the person you want to commit yourself to for the rest of your life, not just something to tick off a checklist to fulfill some INS requirement. Please give it a lot of thought, find a way to meet in person. Get a second job, get a loan from a friend, arrange to meet each other half-way in another country -- something, anything.

~ Jenney

Last edited by Just Jenney; Dec 27th 2002 at 9:42 am.
Old Dec 26th 2002, 10:33 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Julie,

When you submit the fiance petition, one of the requirements is proof that you have met in person at least once-such as a photo. The government made this an issue (law?) to prevent fraudulent marriages. If expenses are tight, maybe you could save money together for one plane ticket- yours or his.

It's really important that you have met at least once, or he probably won't get the fiance visa at all. If he is a student at a university, perhaps you could wait until he graduates and starts working, then funding would be better...but I know waiting is painful. Good luck...I hope you find a solution soon

Juliet
Old Dec 26th 2002, 10:48 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing..I agree with Jenney about the airfare cost. That sounds like a figure you would get if you called an airline directly. Have you called a travel agency? They could get you a package that includes decent hotel rates too. I wouldn't think the round trip ticket would be more than $1000, but thats based on airfares I've gotten traveling to East Asia (I've never traveled to Egypt, or at least not yet ).

Juliet
Old Dec 26th 2002, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

pepsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Hello again...

I *strongly* suggest that you both come up with a way to meet in person before diving into all this. You have been in contact for 2 years, but online/telephone contact is *nothing* like in-person contact. Marriage is a very big step, and I'd think, at the very least, you'd want to spend some time together in person before taking that very big step.

As for your income, there are ways around that. Get a second job, or a third. Or simply get a better-paying job. At least until you can save up enough for a visit. That's what I've done -- my new job (which starts in Jan) pays almost double what I'm making now, and even though my schedule is horrible (9pm to 8pm shift), it's worth the short-term sacrifice to be making more money.

It's great that you have the co-sponsor set up, but that's really not your priority right now. Your priority should be to meet in person, see if this is really the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

(Don't forget, also, that obtaining a visa and adjusting status isn't free -- certain forms and procedures cost hundreds of dollars. If you don't have the money to spend on a visit, how will you have the money to pay for the visa process??)

Ok, a couple of things here. First, why would he need proof of intent to return if he's simply coming to the States for vacation? You can't apply for a fiance visa until you meet in person anyway, so there isn't a "fiance issue" as such, is there? He's just like any other Joe who wants to spend his holiday in the States...

Second, if he needed proof, having documents showing he is a degree-seeking student in Egypt seems like pretty good proof to me.

Where are you getting this $3000 price tag from for airfare to Cairo?? I did a quick search on Expedia for a one-week February trip from LA, Chicago, Miami, and NYC. (I don't know where you live, so I chose cities around the country.) The most expensive return airfare I found was $1150. Even if your hotel accommodations are $75/night, your total for both flight and hotel would be around $1600. And that's not even considering putting some effort into it and really digging around for good deals.

The short answers to these questions are: 1) Yes; and 2) Save up money for a ticket and hotel stay by getting a (second) job, etc.

However, if this man enters the US on a tourist visa with the intent of marrying a USC, then he is violating the terms of his tourist visa. He would be committing fraud because he, in fact, has intent to immigrate. If he wants to come to the US to marry a USC, then he needs to apply for a K-1 visa -- that's what it's for, to allow foreign fiances to enter the US for marriage to a USC.

But, as you already know, he can't do this until he's met you in person, which he hasn't yet. Therefore, your number one priority right now is to meet in person. So many of your questions and problems would be solved by simply meeting in person and getting that requirement out of the way (not to mention the peace of mind that comes with meeting in person).

Forgive me if I sound rude, but you seem to have your mind made up not to meet in person and instead are trying to come up with ways to get around this requirement. I hope I am wrong, but that is the impression I am getting. I am very worried that you are so intent on marrying someone you have never even held hands with, whose eyes you have never looked into.

In my opinion, meeting in person is at least as important to know *for sure* that this is the person you want to commit yourself to for the rest of your life, not just something to tick off a checklist to fulfill some INS requirement. Please give it a lot of thought, find a way to meet in person. Get a second job, get a loan from a friend, arrange to meet each other half-way in another country -- something, anything.

~ Jenney
<flame>
jenney no offence here , but you are not a lawyer, you are some one with minor experience in this field its hard for me to comprehend that you are telling some one to live there life, now this people did not want 'jenneys how to life your life and marry you man' lecture, if you cant answer the lady’s questions then stay out , people don’t want negative posts, they don’t want to be told that there doing it all wrong, not from the likes of you anyway, please stop making a fool out of your self you , sound to me and probably many others a bit selfish
'

Please give it a lot of thought, find a way to meet in person. Get a second job, get a loan from a friend, arrange to meet each other half-way in another country -- something, anything. '
clearly what is your problem its not your future husband, really cant you see what ur like
</flame>
Old Dec 26th 2002, 1:39 pm
jingling

Sounded to me more like advice from someone who is concerned about another person's well being. It's anyone's choice to listen to things from many points of view, and then ultimately decide what's best for them. Nothing wrong with that, just my opinion

Originally posted by pepsi
<flame>
jenney no offence here , but you are not a lawyer, you are some one with minor experience in this field its hard for me to comprehend that you are telling some one to live there life, now this people did not want 'jenneys how to life your life and marry you man' lecture, if you cant answer the lady’s questions then stay out , people don’t want negative posts, they don’t want to be told that there doing it all wrong, not from the likes of you anyway, please stop making a fool out of your self you , sound to me and probably many others a bit selfish
'
clearly what is your problem its not your future husband, really cant you see what ur like
</flame>
Old Dec 26th 2002, 2:21 pm
I'm back!

<flame>
jenney no offence here

*snip!*

</flame>
Hmm, no offense taken -- even though you obviously DID mean to be offensive, because you surrounded your comments with the tag "flame."

but you are not a lawyer, you are some one with minor experience in this field...

Where did I ever state I was a lawyer? I simply stated the facts: That you can't apply for a fiance visa without having met in person. Since that is practically the #1 requirement for the K-1 visa, that should be Julie's #1 priority.

As far as having "minor experience" in this field... well, I beg to differ. Julie and I have many similarities, I understand the position she's in, and I'm trying to tell her that it's possible for her to overcome it with patience and perserverance.

As a member of a forum like this, I am entitled to give my opinion. And my opinion is that it would be advantageous for Julie to meet her fiance in person before marrying him. Not only because it's required for the K-1 visa, but because it is in her best interests. My reason for expressing that opinion is because I'd like Julie to make an educated decision regarding her future, and meeting this man in person is a huge, huge part of that. You are entitled to disagree.

if you cant answer the lady’s questions then stay out , people don’t want negative posts, they don’t want to be told that there doing it all wrong, not from the likes of you anyway, please stop making a fool out of your self ...
If anyone's post here is negative, it's yours. Not only did you manage to "flame" me and call me names, but you didn't make any effort at all to help answer Julie's questions. Perhaps you are the one who should "stay out" and stop making posts which contribute nothing but negativity.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 27th 2002, 2:07 am
Julie H.

Jenny,

Give site you found about ticket info for going to Cairo, Egypt.
Where the ticket is less than what I mentioned. I'm going there. It
may take some time, as I would have to save all money, since I have
none. But our Love is stronger than a time line.

Julie

Old Dec 27th 2002, 5:40 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

people don’t want negative posts, they don’t want to be told that there doing it all wrong, not from the likes of you anyway, please stop making a fool out of your self you , sound to me and probably many others a bit selfish
'
If it were me asking for advice, I wouldn't want to go through a VERY lengthy process without advice only to find out that I'd done it all wrong. I'd take on board any comments offered, and then make up my own mind. I don't think Jenney's making a fool out of herself, and she's even gone out of her way to do someone a favour by looking for flights. How's that selfish? It saved Julie half a job. And she's also agreed to visit her fiance. Sounds like a job well done by Jenney.

All the best, Julie. I hope everything works out for you and your betrothed!

Kate. xxxxxx

Last edited by katesuiter1; Dec 27th 2002 at 5:45 am.
Old Dec 27th 2002, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point

kate: totally off thread here (and I apologize to anyone who is offended by my hijacking the thread for just a moment) ... I notice you got packet 4 already. Does that mean that TSC has already sent your petition to London? Did you pay the I-824 fee? (cabling fee?)

Ange

Originally posted by katesuiter1
If it were me asking for advice, I wouldn't want to go through a VERY lengthy process without advice only to find out that I'd done it all wrong. I'd take on board any comments offered, and then make up my own mind. I don't think Jenney's making a fool out of herself, and she's even gone out of her way to do someone a favour by looking for flights. How's that selfish? It saved Julie half a job. And she's also agreed to visit her fiance. Sounds like a job well done by Jenney.

All the best, Julie. I hope everything works out for you and your betrothed!

Kate. xxxxxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.