Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiance[e] visa - letter of invitation from sponsor

Fiance[e] visa - letter of invitation from sponsor

Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road
Default Fiance[e] visa - letter of invitation from sponsor

My partner and I are gathering the supporting documents for my UK fiancee visa. We are getting married in the UK soon and plan to settle there (we currently live together in Canada as common-law partners).

One of the required supporting documents is a letter of invitation from the UK (sponsoring) partner. Does anyone know what is supposed to be included in this letter? Is it supposed to be written to the immigration authorities or to the non-UK partner? We've been scouring the Internet, but cannot find a sample (or even basic guidance).

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. We need to submit this tomorrow!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fiance[e] visa - letter of invitation from sponsor

perhaps im looking at the wrong stuff, but i just had a look at the form and guidance notes for the form and cant see anything about requiring a letter of invitation ...besides, i dont think it would apply to your situation as you are applying for leave to enter along with your partner so you can marry and settle, not to visit them.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulpur
perhaps im looking at the wrong stuff, but i just had a look at the form and guidance notes for the form and cant see anything about requiring a letter of invitation ...besides, i dont think it would apply to your situation as you are applying for leave to enter along with your partner so you can marry and settle, not to visit them.
I'm afraid it's still required for us. We have an e-mail from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office listing it as one of the many requirements (including proof that we know each other--the fact that we're in a common-law relationship doesn't seem to be enough).
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:19 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

There is no prescribed letter but here is something that might help

Dear ECO
My fiance and I plan to marry on ........... at
We have been in a relationship for years I have submitted ...... as evidence of this relationship.
I have submitted ( documents to show marriage booked eg venue etc)
I will able able to support my fiance without recourse to public funds and he will not need to work until after we are married and applied for leave to remain as my spouse. I have submitted ......... documents to show that he can be supported. I live at ..... and this property is suitable for him to stay as it has ....... bedrooms and is owned by me (or who ever and letters of their ownership and permission to stay or your own documents)
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
There is no prescribed letter but here is something that might help

Dear ECO
My fiance and I plan to marry on ........... at
We have been in a relationship for years I have submitted ...... as evidence of this relationship.
I have submitted ( documents to show marriage booked eg venue etc)
I will able able to support my fiance without recourse to public funds and he will not need to work until after we are married and applied for leave to remain as my spouse. I have submitted ......... documents to show that he can be supported. I live at ..... and this property is suitable for him to stay as it has ....... bedrooms and is owned by me (or who ever and letters of their ownership and permission to stay or your own documents)
Thank you! Very helpful.