Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A few questions on I-485 completion

A few questions on I-485 completion

Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:38 am
Account Closed

davidnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions on I-485 completion

I'm working my way through the last of our forms the I-485, and wanted to ask a question about Part 3 (Processing Information), It asks for the Nonimmigrant Visa Number. Is this the A# number? or the Control Number which appears on the face of the K1 visa?

Thanks

Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:06 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions on I-485 completion

Originally Posted by davidnyc
I'm working my way through the last of our forms the I-485, and wanted to ask a question about Part 3 (Processing Information), It asks for the Nonimmigrant Visa Number. Is this the A# number? or the Control Number which appears on the face of the K1 visa?

Thanks

The search function turns up quite a few hits on this........

~SecretGarden
(Hint: the visa number and the A # are NOT the same thing......)
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
The search function turns up quite a few hits on this........

~SecretGarden
(Hint: the visa number and the A # are NOT the same thing......)
Yes! You are right, thanks. I can use either
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

An FAQ. You are providing a photocopy of the visa in any case, so you really can't go wrong. The question is a vestigial one going back to the days of the old "Borroughs" visas which have not been issued in nearly 15 years. The visa blank has a preprinted number. I personally use the control number. To quote the late Chick Hearn: "no harm, no foul."
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about

Thanks

I used the red number printed on the visa itself, as this is neither the A Number nor the Control Number. Hope mine isn't wrong!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Originally Posted by ChelseaDagger
I used the red number printed on the visa itself, as this is neither the A Number nor the Control Number. Hope mine isn't wrong!
the non-immigrant visa number is NOT the A#, either the control number or the red number should be fine!

this question was anwsered in the AOS from K1 wiki too, so make sure you read through it carefully, or refer back to it if you have any questions before asking on the forum!

AOS from K1 Help Guide

Here is some information on filling out the forms for your AOS application:

*Most of these forms can be filled in on your computer, some may not save and so need to be printed when filled out.
*Your A# is found on your I-797
*Your Visa Number is either the red number or black Control Number found on your K1 visa inside your passport.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
the non-immigrant visa number is NOT the A#, either the control number or the red number should be fine!

this question was anwsered in the AOS from K1 wiki too, so make sure you read through it carefully, or refer back to it if you have any questions before asking on the forum!

AOS from K1 Help Guide
Thanks very much for a great guide, very useful.