a few questions

Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

LisaDuskis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a few questions

I entered almost a year ago on a K-1 (march 27th), got married on April 12th 2003, in Maine.

Now, I've got my conditional permanent residency in november, and now we're moving to texas.

I never got my driver's license when i was in maine - and its pretty much too late now to do anything.

What are the rules on an immigrant getting their license in texas? It's kind of difficult as we're still going to be considered maine residents for the first 6 months as my husband will still be working for the company where he is working now, just be working from home in TX.

So what are the rules on an immigrant getting a license? (I'm australian if that counts for anything), or since its been a year (i wouldn't get my license in snow and i'm only just feeling confident that i won't veer off to the other side of the road), should I just start from scratch?

Any advice would be great, as well as other tips on moving interstate, and dealing with the INS (address change etc).

Also - another quick question - when I was granted residency back in november, my passport was stamped yet i still haven't received my green card - or is this normal and you only get the other one after the year is nearly expired in the stamped one in the passport.

I think thats it

regards,

Lisa Duskis
Old Mar 7th 2004, 11:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a few questions

Lisa,

Do a Google search for the State of Texas web page and I'm sure you'll have no problem finding Texas motor vehilce information there.

I'm curious as to why you think will be considered Maine residents for your 1st 6 months in Texas based on your husband's employment. Residency is based on where one resides, not who they work for.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by LisaDuskis
I entered almost a year ago on a K-1 (march 27th), got married on April 12th 2003, in Maine.

Now, I've got my conditional permanent residency in november, and now we're moving to texas.

I never got my driver's license when i was in maine - and its pretty much too late now to do anything.

What are the rules on an immigrant getting their license in texas? It's kind of difficult as we're still going to be considered maine residents for the first 6 months as my husband will still be working for the company where he is working now, just be working from home in TX.

So what are the rules on an immigrant getting a license? (I'm australian if that counts for anything), or since its been a year (i wouldn't get my license in snow and i'm only just feeling confident that i won't veer off to the other side of the road), should I just start from scratch?

Any advice would be great, as well as other tips on moving interstate, and dealing with the INS (address change etc).

Also - another quick question - when I was granted residency back in november, my passport was stamped yet i still haven't received my green card - or is this normal and you only get the other one after the year is nearly expired in the stamped one in the passport.

I think thats it

regards,

Lisa Duskis
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:36 am
Just Joined

LisaDuskis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: a few questions

Because mike (my husband) will be working for the college, the Human resources department checked into what they had to do to in terms of tax issues an d such for mike and i to move down there.

and they said to mike that until he's been there for 6 months, he's not considered a resident so he still falls under the maine tax, health insurance and whatever. We'll still be holding a maine address also just to show that we're still 'living' in maine.

this is all the college told us.

I'll be sure to check out the texas state website, i looked on their department of transport website which didn't really give any information (and it was hard to navigate)