Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Exactly 3 months from mailing the application to greencard in the mail

Exactly 3 months from mailing the application to greencard in the mail

Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

FreeBird11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exactly 3 months from mailing the application to greencard in the mail

I figured I'd post it because there maybe members wondering how long a concurrent I-130/485 application takes from beginning to end.

The USCIS in Chicago received my application on November 17. I received the actual permanent resident card (it's actually green again) on February 17.

Pretty quick I think. I was already here for a number of years on a different visa so it was an adjustment of status within the US.

Last edited by FreeBird11; Feb 18th 2011 at 5:40 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exactly 3 months from mailing the application to greencard in the mail

Wow, super fast! Congratulations!

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Exactly 3 months from mailing the application to greencard in the mail

There's an upside to the increased fees

Everything went very smooth, no further evidence was requested while the application was processed. If you have your supporting evidence in good order you should have no problem. Of course also make sure the forms are filled out properly. I used a checklist from an immigration attorney's website to verify I had everything included. It pays to be thorough when getting your application together but don't overwhelm it with all sorts of irrelevant information. Like for instance, you should include copies of some of your utility bills to prove you've been living together but don't overwhelm things put including a copy of your monthly TV bill from the past 8 months.

I don't think the whole process can be done much quicker than 3 months, but if you have managed it, I'd love to hear about it.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Speedy processing depends largely on the work load of your District Office. IE, your location matters (but is out of your control).

3 months is about the low end of AOS; the fastest cases I've seen have all been about that.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

I should fill in the details.

I mailed the application to Chicago as you're supposed to with a concurrent I-130/485 application. They transferred it to the National Benefits Center in Missouri for processing. My location is California.

I just looked at that trackitt website that shows the timelines of other applications and many current ones have been completed within 85-120 days so I guess it's normal now.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

"California' is not your District. You don't have to post what city you're in or use, just pointing out that is where the differences lie.

Atlanta, for example, was running well behind for a while. Cases took up to 3 years there for a vanilla AOS; they were just backlogged.
Seems they've finally systemized some of the things that took so long.. each office has their own practices and they didn't always share 'top tips'.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

My green card arrived today, 3 months and 4 days after I mailed my AOS package. Very speedy IMO! Couldn't be happier, and the whole visa/AOS thing was much faster than I ever expected. My AOS was approved only 1 year and 1 day after we filed the I-129F so that's awesome!