Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Evidence of Support....

Evidence of Support....

Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

webster2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evidence of Support....

I am in the process of applying for a immigrant visa. So far the petition has been approved and I am gathering my documentation.

My Wife is a USC. We are planning on moving to the US. The process has reached the point where evidence of support has to be supplied. Problem. Wife is a Schoolteacher and wants to return to teaching in the USA. Here in the UK she is a supply teacher and therefore has no evidence of Support. She will not be able to show evidence of CURRENT income only Future income when she receives an offer of employment. We know this is not enough for the I-864 but can this be used on the I-134 or do they both require current income?

The reason we are asking is, would the K3 route be a better option, or ultimately does my wife have to be in employment in the USA for the process to complete, or is an offer of employment (with salary details etc) enough?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evidence of Support....

Originally Posted by webster2007
I am in the process of applying for a immigrant visa. So far the petition has been approved and I am gathering my documentation.

My Wife is a USC. We are planning on moving to the US. The process has reached the point where evidence of support has to be supplied. Problem. Wife is a Schoolteacher and wants to return to teaching in the USA. Here in the UK she is a supply teacher and therefore has no evidence of Support. She will not be able to show evidence of CURRENT income only Future income when she receives an offer of employment. We know this is not enough for the I-864 but can this be used on the I-134 or do they both require current income?

The reason we are asking is, would the K3 route be a better option, or ultimately does my wife have to be in employment in the USA for the process to complete, or is an offer of employment (with salary details etc) enough?
Did you file DCF (filing the I-130 directly in London)? If you did, then you will not be doing a K-3, and won't need the I-134 form. You can only do an Immigrant Visa via DCF.

You can use any of the following ways of showing support on the I-864:
1. USC is currently employed at the correct income level (which she is not). Or,
2. You use combined assets (house, property, savings) which amount to 3x the amount you would have needed in income. Or,
3. You use a joint sponsor. Any USC or PR living in the USA, 18 or over, can be a joint sponsor.

The offer is good for the overall case, the ConOff will be happy to see she has a job to go to. But it does not cover the I-864 requirements.

Best Wishes,
Rene