Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Error found on I864 after Interview date received.

Error found on I864 after Interview date received.

Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:03 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Error found on I864 after Interview date received.

So now i'm freaking out.

Our case is complete at the NVC, and we have our interview date through. I'm going through all our files with a fine toothcomb making sure everything is in order, and I've found something that worries me.

We were initially told by our laywer (who we have since parted company with) that my husband (petitioner) only needed to fill out one I864 for myself and my two children, despite us having seperate I130 petitions.

We filled the I864 out, listing my assets in the correct part of the form, and with the two boys as accompanying family members. She then told us that we actually needed one per petition, and proceeded to 'split' the petition down, one for each of us, signed it 'on our behalf' and sent it to the NVC.

So, as I said, the NVC accept the I864's, and then we part ways with our lawyer.

We had all our documents sent to us from her, and on going through everything in this haze of being anally retentive that I am at the moment, I check the boys I864's to see that MY assets, have also been put down on their petition - so my two boys have been given assets that they do not actually have.

Now my husband does not meet the I864 requirements because he has spent most of the last year in the UK with me, so his mother is our joint sponsor and more than meets them, and we have all our documentation here with us and neatly filed away.

Should I just leave things as they are? I'm worried that at the interview they are going to ask how the hell two boys have that amount of assets, especially since all the evidence is in my name - Hubby is here with me now so it is no problem to prepare another I864 with the correct figures on if we need to in case the question arises.

Any Ideas?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Error found on I864 after Interview date received.

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Should I just leave things as they are? I'm worried that at the interview they are going to ask how the hell two boys have that amount of assets, especially since all the evidence is in my name - Hubby is here with me now so it is no problem to prepare another I864 with the correct figures on if we need to in case the question arises.

Any Ideas?
You have to leave things as they are right now. At the interview, the ConOff will see that you have a joint sponsor who qualifies anyway, so you can do any explaining at that time, if asked.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:09 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene

Would it be worth me having an accurate one with me to produce in case they want one? or does that open a whole new can of worms...

Sorry to be a pain, i'm naturally a worrier but I think the next 2 weeks are going to drive me insane.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:27 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me I'd take a new accurate one to the interview and if the ConOff raises the matter offer it to them. If they accept the current I-864 as is then no problem.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Thanks Rene

Would it be worth me having an accurate one with me to produce in case they want one? or does that open a whole new can of worms...

Sorry to be a pain, i'm naturally a worrier but I think the next 2 weeks are going to drive me insane.

In case I believe you should worry. Make up new I-864's for the 2 kids. Rather you go through the trouble now and have it handy to give in than have to wait to compile the information/form and send it back after your interview.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Clarissa, I hope you aren't planning on using equity in a house as assets to make up for savings. There are 2 threads going now, where the immigrants' I-130 was suspended because the Consulate wouldn't allow them to use equity (due to current housing market conditions). These instances just occurred on Friday and today.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:00 am
Dizzy Blonde

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hey Clarissa, I hope you aren't planning on using equity in a house as assets to make up for savings. There are 2 threads going now, where the immigrants' I-130 was suspended because the Consulate wouldn't allow them to use equity (due to current housing market conditions). These instances just occurred on Friday and today.
The I864 that my hubby completed for me, did have my house in England as part of the assets, and I read those other threads and nearly had a fit - but we are lucky in that I didn't feel happy from the start using those assets, so we had asked his mum to be our joint sponsor right from the start - she covers us quite nicely with some room to spare, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem.

I've just spent the last hour sitting with hubby and writing out revised I864's for the boys with NO assets on the forms, Just in case the ConOff does want them.

The sooner this is all over with the better or I will be rocking and dribbling by the time the interview comes around!