Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Entering on visa waiver to marry, then leaving

Entering on visa waiver to marry, then leaving

Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering on visa waiver to marry, then leaving

Hi,

I've been dating my USC fiancee for over two years. Next month I'll be going to the US and marrying her. We'll then both be coming to live back here in the UK once we've got her UK spousal visa sorted.

I know it's within the rules to enter the US on a visa waiver, marry a USC, then leave the US within 90 days. I was wondering if immigration officers (at the major airports) generally know this, or will they think I need a fiance visa in order to marry? When they ask me the purpose of my visit, I'm planning on being completely upfront and I'll tell them that I'm going to marry my USC fiancee and then leave two weeks after entering, and that my then wife will come and join me in the UK later. Has anyone heard of people being given trouble for doing this?

Also, I was in the US between mid-March and the end of May of this year, visiting my fiancee. So less than 3 months will have elasped between my previous (fairly long) visit and this one. Is this likely to cause a problem? Again, I know I'm not breaking any rules, but I'm concerned it might raise suspicion.

Obviously I'll bring paperwork proving my continued links with the UK - job contract, bank statements, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
chesterton_fan
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering on visa waiver to marry, then leaving

You seem to understand the issues. There are no guarantees. Good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Just say you are coming for a vacation because that's the truth. What you do on your vacation, as long as it's legal, should be no concern for immigration.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with your plan. You might even get some of the preliminary paperwork done for your soon-to-be-wife's visa, in case they ask at the POE.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan
Hi,

I've been dating my USC fiancee for over two years. Next month I'll be going to the US and marrying her. We'll then both be coming to live back here in the UK once we've got her UK spousal visa sorted.

I know it's within the rules to enter the US on a visa waiver, marry a USC, then leave the US within 90 days. I was wondering if immigration officers (at the major airports) generally know this, or will they think I need a fiance visa in order to marry? When they ask me the purpose of my visit, I'm planning on being completely upfront and I'll tell them that I'm going to marry my USC fiancee and then leave two weeks after entering, and that my then wife will come and join me in the UK later. Has anyone heard of people being given trouble for doing this?

Also, I was in the US between mid-March and the end of May of this year, visiting my fiancee. So less than 3 months will have elasped between my previous (fairly long) visit and this one. Is this likely to cause a problem? Again, I know I'm not breaking any rules, but I'm concerned it might raise suspicion.

Obviously I'll bring paperwork proving my continued links with the UK - job contract, bank statements, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
chesterton_fan
Hi:

Your mileage may vary, as the ads say. I've seen it both ways -- it is up to the discretion of the airport officer.

One thing NEVER to do is to lie. And also, a lot of airport officers don't get the difference between not volunteering information and lieing.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Just say you are coming for a vacation because that's the truth. What you do on your vacation, as long as it's legal, should be no concern for immigration.
I know this sounds bit dodgy but as the DR notes, it isn't a lie. You are not required to volunteer information and chances are they won't dig much further. However, Mr. F's point re. Immigration Officer's not acknowledging a difference between lying and not volunteering information, may steer you to be *completely* honest.

IMO, if the ImmOff asks if you're planning to get married, then, of course, tell the truth and bring the evidence you have described to demonstrate you and your fiance are planning to settle in the UK but I would be cautious in volunteering this sort of information, but these are just my thoughts based uponreading other posts on this forum regarding *what to tell the ImmOff*.

Last edited by californian; Jul 30th 2008 at 11:12 am.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I did that three years ago. I told the immigration officer I was travelling for pleasure and he didn't ask any more questions. I had with me a letter from my employer and the forms my wife was going to use for her UK visa application.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

uk123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marocco
I did that three years ago. I told the immigration officer I was travelling for pleasure and he didn't ask any more questions. I had with me a letter from my employer and the forms my wife was going to use for her UK visa application.
I told them I was getting married and it wasn't a problem. I did, however, have a dozen family members in the line with me, so that may have helped my case.

I'd advise just saying "pleasure".... which I hope for your sake isn't going to be a lie