England to US

Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England to US

Originally Posted by etemilytaylor
Thanks for all your help. Sounds like we need to apply for that Fiancé visa as soon as possible. Glad I found this site!
Does anyone know once we are married how long it takes to be issued a GC?
Since your comment directly preceding this one has to do with the K-1 fiancé visa, I assume you're asking about that one? If so, then after he arrives in the USA on the K-1, and after you get married, you file the Adjustment of Status (AOS) paperwork, which gets him a green card. Currently, the AOS process takes about 6 months.

In the meantime, part of the AOS package is an application for Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which allows him to work. It currently takes between 60 - 90 days to get the EAD in hand after filing AOS.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
If you are not yet married, you can apply for a finance visa, once that is granted, he can travel to the USA on that, you must get married within 90 days, and then he can adjust status to gain permanent residency (green card) (filing I130) - because your marriage will be less than 2 years, it will be a conditional green card.
There is no I-130 following a K-1 visa. There is only an I-485 to adjust status + AP + EAD if the applicant so chooses.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am engaged to a British citizen and once we get married he will move to the US.
You need to understand that once you are married, it'll take about 8 months or so before he has a visa that will allow him to move to the US... so, be prepared for that.

If you don't want to be separated after marriage, you file an I-129F to begin the fiancé visa process. Once the visa is approved, he will have 6 months to actually use the visa to enter the US, and he must marry you within 90 days of his entry to the US. If you file in the next few weeks, you should have plenty of time for a February 2014 wedding - assuming he has no prior overstay or criminal issues.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:15 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Wedding place is where? That will help determine what kind of visa is required (there's no such thing as "engagement visa").

Also, please explain what you mean by "officially married". Are you intending to get unofficially married at some point?

Regards, JEff

I am engaged to a British citizen and once we get married he will move to the US. I have no idea where to start. I have heard conflicting information about whether we should apply for and engagement visa or just wait until we are officially married. Wedding date is Feb 2014. All information will be helpful!
Thank you.